• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shoving a audio amplifier into a PC (pictures)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pqwoerituytruei

Photo Album:
Parts:
* Bracket from 56K modem
* Scrap aluminum bar
* Simpson Strong-Tie 5-in 20-Gauge Galvanized Steel Tie Plate Wood To Wood (TP-35)
* Nylon standoffs/spacers
* 3 ceramic cement 20Ohm resistors
* 2x100W TPA3116 D2 Dual Channel Digital Audio Amplifier Board 12V-24V
* DC-DC Boost Converter 10-32V to 12-35V 6A Step Up Power supply Module
* 18 AWG wire (Black/White, i do not have red or yellow wire)
* Zip ties (4 and 6 inch)
* ferret core
* insulted spade connectors (tired of dealing with molex plugs)
* heat shrink
* 3M stainless steel scews/nuts/washers,lock wasters

Had issues with the system rebooting when the amp is turned on so that is what the resistor bank is for

Bent one edge of the stong-tie to add rigidity

Hoping the ferret core will remove the hum from the speakers when not in use (very tolerable if it does nothing)

Speaker wires run through opening in the bracket to the amp board

This monster is going to live in the top PCI slot where I do not have a PCIe slot cause of a M.2 port, the boost converter just clears low profile addon cards

It does sag a little, it pulls around 0.25A when running

Attached are heavily cropped image with background data removed to make the files under 2MB

Attachments

• 20220814_151647.jpg
    20220814_151647.jpg
    829.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220814_151525.jpg
    20220814_151525.jpg
    933.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220814_151545.jpg
    20220814_151545.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 17
  • 20220814_151621.jpg
    20220814_151621.jpg
    931.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Pretty cool idea! Just a suggestion, but if you upload the pictures to the forums there's no chance of it disappearing in future years if imgur goes down (think all the old broken photobucket links)

Very cool. I wish I learned about it.
I have a basement FULL of electronic stuff and don't have a clue about it. It was my dad's...well he was a electronical genius. My brother and I didn't care to learn anything about it, we were into cars. Now I have it all, It looks cool maybe one day.

The electronics are not that complicated

the only thing that was resistor bank, very simple and cheap solution (once you understand the cause of the issue) but it does waste a little power, ideally you would want a shunt resistor and a some other components so you can measure the current draw and if it exceeds normal usage it closes a gate/relay so it goes though the resistor and after the current draw comes down to sane levels it opens the gate/relay, this way you avoid wasteing around 1W or something trivial like that, though i guess you could measure voltage at a cap on the amp and when the value is correct you open a gate/relay and bypass the resistors

well if i use a script i could have done 40k images or so, but without knowing the size limit what is the point (for all i knew it is a resolution limit)
@don256us the phone i used is a galaxy S5, google says that is from mid 2014 so almost 8.75 years old

Got them down to 2MB or less and now there are backups on the forum here

Wait. How did I get a mention? Did I complain about something. I probably did but I don't recall. Too many things to complain abount and too few brain things to remember them all.

Wait. How did I get a mention? Did I complain about something. I probably did but I don't recall. Too many things to complain abount and too few brain things to remember them all.
guess the mods cleaned up the mess, there was some complaining about the best practice of attaching images here vs linking to them and the lack of a documented file size limit, i think you said something about modern phones image resolution... hence the my phone is a antique comment

While linking might be more convenient in some cases, it's true that attaching high-res images can be helpful for showcasing details. Maybe there could be a compromise, like allowing attachments up to a certain file size and then requiring links for larger images.

While linking might be more convenient in some cases, it's true that attaching high-res images can be helpful for showcasing details. Maybe there could be a compromise, like allowing attachments up to a certain file size and then requiring links for larger images.
:welcome: @Brenda23. I think that the limit at this point in time is 4MB. For my Pixel 5 phone, about half my posted images were too big and half were fine. Depends on the composition of the image I guess. But this thread is old and the links of pictures no lnger work so....

Great project. I just wish I understood it better but I don't.

But this thread is old and the links of pictures no lnger work so....
I mean....... I don't bullshit, LOL. Sad that these pics are gone..... it is a great project.

That said, I'll look into raising the limit (it is 4MB) a bit... maybe to 8MB or something... my phone varies wildly from less than 2MB to 8MB depending on the image content.

We don't want external links, period, if we can avoid it...again, they disappear as you see here.

I suppose you have to weigh size allowed to storage space availible. More storage = more cost and so on. I appreciate the forum to meet and chat with friends with similar interests.

the pics are there and the direct links work, just not if you click them if you copy/paste them or use wget then you can see them, imgur made all of my links not work when you click them, i may as well host my own images on my own home server...

Code:
https://i.imgur.com/q5olvwP.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/45ZN4Ny.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Naxkph2.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ozLR6KP.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/VazSOeR.jpg

not sure if the resistors are needed, it turns out the PSU i was using was on it's last leg, maybe my new one can handle the amp being turned on better, i replaced the spade connectors with a SPL-2 (off brand wago connector that has 2 strait through wires connections, basically 2x 221-2401 attached together and bulkier)

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm sorry but I'm not copying & pasting outside links from the forums. I've had my share of doing that only to have my rig get borked.

Either post them here or forget it. I ain't touching those links.

Back