• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shroud VS no shroud. TFC Xchanger 360 + I7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Boulard83

I just added some shroud to my TFC Xchanger 360 and i wanted to show you my result.

Scythe Split Stream @ 1200rpm
TFC Xchanger 360
Apogee GTZ
MCP655
Room @ 24°c
I7 920 @ 4ghz
(21x191) 1.28vcore

Before : No shroud
Water IN : 31°c
Water OU : 30°c
Core temp : ~65

After : 50mm shroud
Water IN : 29°c
Water OU : 28°c
Core temp : ~61

Pics of the last load with shroud

25minLinX_Pull_shroud.jpg

baditude_df

Northern Senior
Shrouds allow your fans output to cover more Rad fins and therefore help remove more heat from the water. To me it's simple, and I'll always use a shroud if possible. 2 degrees is more than I would have thought though. I've always run my fans shrouded, and I have no comparison results so thx for posting.

As an illustration of why I think shrouds help I took this pic the last time I cleaned out my rad:
imgp0774e.jpg

I use wide hub 38mm Denki San Ace fans. Take a look at how small the deadspot is compared with the hub size using only a 25mm shroud.

Bobnova

There's an article of mine on shrouds and fans that ought to get published soon :D

Shrouds are good!

donuts

Thanks for the link Diggrr, I had noticed the same as Baditude (not surprising, as it his old rad setup;)) but it also answered my question of push/pull on the fan orientation.