• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shuttle SN85G4V2 (240W PSU) + 3200 XP64 + GeForce 6800 = too much Load on PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lyron

Heya,
I did a quick search and was unable to find any information about how such a "little" power supply would behave under a full load situation (CPU, GPU and HDD).

The important specs of the system I am looking to build:
Shuttle SN85G4V2
Athlon 64 3200+
Corsair 512MBx2 DDR PC-3200
XFX GeForce 6800
Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA

I do have one other comment to add...
Alot of people on this forum wouldn't believe that a 300W would be up to the task of powering my current system as seen in my sig.
So without sounding like too much of a jerk, I don't want to hear 10 replies saying I need 500 watts for this new system, as I see way too many people on here recommending much higher rated wattage power supplies than are needed.

But please if you have any feedback, I'd love to hear it.
Thanks!

i made a very similar post a while ago and people said it could handle it, but i still havent gotin mine to work yet im about ready to botch the whole thing.

Thanks for the heads up.
I found your thread when searching for posts from your username.
I searched under Shuttle 6800 and other terms before posting this thread and found nothing...
Maybe the search is broken or something? :bang head:

What type of problems are you having when you try to install XP on that rig?

Thanks again!

I'm running pretty much the same set up right now A64 3000+ and a 6800 with 2 WD 120gig drives and it seems to be fine with the cheap 400W PSU. But my old 1800Xp with a generic 300W used to reboot during warcraft 3 put the 400w in and it stoped. So I would say you would want at least a 350W. Which is what Nvidia says is the minimum for the 6800. Good Luck

I have this rig you are trying to build, The PSU in this rig is surprising. The only thing diff I am running is I am using a 9800XT. The power is limited tho & I have seen trouble with the Nvidia cards. Even with 5700U gives trouble.

If you want my advice get the X800 it draws a lot less power & it has been proven to work in this rig.

This rig is in my sig & I must say I havnt built any system that out performs it yet. I have built 250,150 & VIA boards but nothing has touched this rig.

There is also a new Shuttle out for the 939 CPUs, its pretty sweat if you havnt bought yet.

Anyway dont let the 240 rating tho you, there better than most PSUs. But the 6800 is just to much for it. Go ATI, they have been proved to work.

Oh, to be truthfull to power the newer CPUs, it does take alot more than you think. They feed off the 12v rail which is all ready crowed. Many times people find better results with performance & temps when upgrading to a better PSU.

Last edited:
Back