• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shuttle SN85G4V2 (Nforce3 150) and Soundstorm?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dark_15

Drunken Master JNCIE Senior
Hey every1,
I am building a SFF PC and have settled on the Shuttle model listed in the subject. The integrated APU is Realtek ALC650 six channel audio and the shuttle includes SPDIF Input and Output. I was planning on buying some of those nice Z-680's everyone is raving about and an optical cable.

With this setup, would I be able to use Soundstorm and get some of that DTS quality sound? Thanks for your help everyone! I'll leave some linky's below...

Shuttle SN85G4V2 on Newegg
Shuttle SN85G4V2 Product Link (Tech Specs)

Logitech Z-680 on Newegg
Logitech Z-680 Product Link (Tech Specs)

Optical Audio Cable

Dafonz: you might want to be careful with your posting frequency. i noticed you just signed up today and already have 25 posts in your first hour and a half. they tend to frown upon people that have a high amount of posts immediately after joining...i believe 10 posts a day is red flagged and 20 a day is auto banned from classifieds or something not sure the exact amounts. It's something they have to eliminate people spamming their way into the classified section, not that i think you're doing it. It would appear that way to someone who just looked purely at the stats however. Just a heads up. ;)

Seriously? Oops.

My posts aren't really spamming though? I do provide useful info (well.. I hope)..

Thanks for the heads up. :)

Will quality be affected using the integrated audio?

Breez - are you sure about that? It uses a NVidia Nforce platform... if not, will it at least encode in dolby digital DTS?

Azz - what do you mean identical? Will the quality be poor if I use the integrated sound?

dark_15 said:
Azz - what do you mean identical? Will the quality be poor if I use the integrated sound?

I mean that the audigy and the onboard should sound identical if you use the digital outputs on either. It could sound different, but that is pretty rare.

If you use the analog outputs though, it will really depend.

OK Thanx Azz... I was kind of scared for a minute...
Do you know anything about the Suondstorm software?

dark_15 said:
OK Thanx Azz... I was kind of scared for a minute...
Do you know anything about the Suondstorm software?

No, I've never personally owned a board with Soundstorm. Several people on OC use Soundstorm though, Im sure someone will be able to tell you about it.

The bubble isn't broken, considering I still can use the digital outputs... :)

Will I still be able to encode in DTS? If not, then does it really even matter to get something that has soundstorm? I just want the best quality sound coming from these speakers...

The soundstorm doesn't encode dts, it encodes DD 5.1. It will pass along a DTS stream from a dvd or any other content that is already encoded with DTS.

*Light bulb turns on* - Thanks for clearing that up d4rr3n!

OK... now I am not worried at all about the configuration I chose!!!!

Thanks everyone for helping the audio noob here...

The Dolby Encoding was only an Nforce2 thing, and I dont think they will do it again... Why, I dunno, but thats how it is. The best thing they have now is I think realtek codecs... Either way, soundstorm was a certification of minimum specifications and quality.

Buhammot said:
The Dolby Encoding was only an Nforce2 thing, and I dont think they will do it again... Why, I dunno, but thats how it is. The best thing they have now is I think realtek codecs... Either way, soundstorm was a certification of minimum specifications and quality.

The NFIII 150, and 250 **DO NOT** have soundstorm. Mobo dependent on what sound it uses I think.

The NF4, however, will have soundstorm 2.

Back