• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Side monitor recommendation for 24"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

smoth

I currently have an HP LP2475w calibrated with a Spyder3pro which I use for primarily for photo editing, but also everything else. I am looking to add 2 side displays, but do not need the same level of quality as they will just be used for secondary programs, tool bars, and non-color-critical applications.

I would like to get 2 20" 1600x1200 displays but nobody makes a "consumer" level version, so I am looking into more standard "consumer" sizes. I want at least 1000 pixels wide and 1200 tall, which leads me to a few options:

21.5-22" 1920x1080 maybe portrait?
23-24" 1920x1080 maybe portrait?

The level of monitors I am looking at are all between $130-$170 for all sizes so price is irrelevant

Since I am not going for the surround gaming experience, and sit fairly close to the screen, I am thinking that putting 3 widescreen monitors side by side
in landscape may be a bit too wide, but dont have any way of trying it. Has anyone who is using multiple monitors for productivity, not gaming, had any experience with any of these combinations/orientations?

Since the prices are so close, I find it difficult to go with the smaller displays, but am not sure if the height differences will be annoying or not. Any thoughts?

I will be building an angled support to mount my monitors and speakers so I will be able to position them however I like relative to each other.

Since I currently only have a single 260GTX, I will need to add another video card. Can I just pick up something cheap with 2 DVI ports or will having 2 different video drivers installed be a problem?

Thanks

I had one of those a few years ago and went through 3 of them before I got a "good" one which lasted 3 years and now flickers. The price is tempting, but when I could just get 2 new 24" displays for just $100 more and not even use the farthest reaches if I find it too cumbersome, I dont feel like its worth the risk.

I realize the monitors will not be up to the same caliber as my primary display, but I think they will be close enough for all practical purposes. I have never compared a TN panel to an IPS panel to determine if their differences will be noticeable. One of my main concerns is with back lighting . Can you mix CCFL with LED or do they have different characteristics? I would think it would be the same but just want to be sure.

If you have windows 7 you can use a cheap graphics card to power the other monitors. And I'm using three monitors in landscape and it's pretty good for productivity, though I really don't need to use it that much. Usually I just watch a fullscreen video on one monitor and use the other two for multitasking.

I had one of those a few years ago and went through 3 of them before I got a "good" one which lasted 3 years and now flickers.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the Viewsonics. Refurbs are always a crap shoot.

I have never compared a TN panel to an IPS panel to determine if their differences will be noticeable. One of my main concerns is with back lighting . Can you mix CCFL with LED or do they have different characteristics? I would think it would be the same but just want to be sure.

The main differences you'll notice between TN and IPS will be viewing angle and color accuracy. Whether or not these qualities are an issue depends on your particular needs and/or level of personal tolerance in these areas.

In terms of CFL V.S. LED on TN monitors, other than power consumption, the primary noticeable differences are black levels and "hot spots". The degree of perceptible difference will depend on whether your LED monitor is full array or side lit. Regardless, I see no problem with mixing the two types, your perception of the differences being the only real issue.

Back