• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sidewinder in XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kmfdm515

Ok...after searching the forum a bit it seems most people have problems getting the old sidewinder with the gameport connection to work with XP....

I, on the other hand, have the opposite problem - the old sidewinders work fine when I auto-detect in the game controllers config, but my newer USB sidewinder won't work at all. It's never even detected...and my friend has the same exact problem.

Is this expected behavior?

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
Believe it or not, this problem can occur when static builds up in the controller. To discharge the static...

1. Turn off the computer with the game controller still plugged in.
2. Unplug the game controller from the port into which it's plugged.
3. Plug the game controller into another USB port on your computer, and then unplug it again (if you don't have a 2nd USB port, plug and then unplug your controller between 6 and 12 times in the same port).
4. With the game controller unplugged from the USB port, restart the computer.
5. When you see the Windows desktop, plug the game controller back in. ;)

OP
kmfdm515

kmfdm515

redduc900 said:
Believe it or not, this problem can occur when static builds up in the controller. To discharge the static...

1. Turn off the computer with the game controller still plugged in.
2. Unplug the game controller from the port into which it's plugged.
3. Plug the game controller into another USB port on your computer, and then unplug it again (if you don't have a 2nd USB port, plug and then unplug your controller between 6 and 12 times in the same port).
4. With the game controller unplugged from the USB port, restart the computer.
5. When you see the Windows desktop, plug the game controller back in. ;)

No luck...it still isn't detected by Windows.

:(

glock19owner

There is a patch on M$ to help the sidewinder issue...not sure if it is for the USB sidewinder though

OP
kmfdm515

kmfdm515

Hmmm....I can't find a patch, but maybe it's just me.

Let me put it this way....is anyone successfully using a USB Sidewinder pad in XP Pro?

glock19owner

I couldn't either...it used to be were the drivers are...wonder if they pulled it...it never worked for me anyways...

And I will borrow one tomorrow from a friend...he is using W2K and doesn't have any problems...see how it works on my XP system...

djs488

hmm, i dont know about the usb sidewinder, mine just plugged in and worked immediately. but i do know that the serial cable sidewinders should not work at all on XP because that OS doesn't support them. Im actually more baffled on why the old ones work than why the new one doesnt

glock19owner

No go on the USB sidewinder...doesn't even show up...not even after installing the setup from the CD that came with theirs...

OP
kmfdm515

kmfdm515

djs488 said:
hmm, i dont know about the usb sidewinder, mine just plugged in and worked immediately. but i do know that the serial cable sidewinders should not work at all on XP because that OS doesn't support them. Im actually more baffled on why the old ones work than why the new one doesnt

You want to know what's wierd?

I'm running XP Pro, which as we know is not supposed to work with the old sidewinders.

On top of that, I've got an A7N8X which apparently will not let you use the gameport on an installed soundcard; you have to use the gameport for the A7N8X.

But...the old sidewinders still work when plugged into my Live 5.1, ignoring both so-called problems.

:eek:

Anyways, I guess this USB pad just wasn't meant to be in XP. :(