• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sigh.."new" computer..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drec

whos up for a funny story?

sooo about 1-2 years ago..my grandmother was looking to upgrade her computer..so of course i stepped in and built her a system..she doest need much alls she does is programs like turbotax and exel..email ect...i figured id make her somthing that would last her a little while..heres what i built...a XP 2200+ on some biostar board..512MB of generic ram, a 40GB maxtor, a 32mb radeon 7000 a nice dvd-r/cd-rw drive and windows XP..slapped it all into a nice Raidmax case and boom granny rig!

well the other day, she gave me a call...told me she bought a new computer from wal mart...a compaq :eh?: and she was going on about how much faster it was then the one i built..and how it only cost her $200 as opposed to the $500 i spent building hers...sigh

i go over there today to check out this "new" computer of hers....yeah its a 1.4ghz willy...with 256mb of ram..a 30gb HDD a geforce mx400 and just a cd-rom/rw drive...with windows ME...but according to her its so much faster..i checked the other rig for malware figuring that was the cause of the slowness...but nothing! im gonna email the link to this thread to her..so you guys tell her how much faster the rig i built for her is then the crapaq she bought. :p

TalRW

Keep Drec's Granny PC, return that compaq and get your money back.

Teach her about spybot and adaware. Also tell her that Kazaa is bad for your computer mmk?

[email protected]

No maam. The computer you bought is twice as fast as the one he bought you. You grandson is worthless and can't build computer at all! I think you should beat him with a cane for wasting $500 on a computer like that!

Just kidding :D

On a serious note, I agree with TalRW.
Reinstall windows, teach her how to clean add/spyware and viruses and how to delete temp files, do clean ups and defragment the hard drive. Then, after she sees how much faster the one you built is, tell her to return that compaq and get her money back.

OP
Drec

Drec

i scanned it to death..nothing, and disk cleanup/defrag is schedualed to run every wednesday night, so its a well maintained PC, shes just a bargin hunter and likes to think she found somthing really good for her money..and the wal mart went outta buisness..hence the $200 compaq :(

dark_15

Drunken Master JNCIE Senior
Me is faster than XP in some spots... just A LOT more unstable.

I would have installed windows 2000 on the granny rig just because XP has a lot more bloatware than 2000.

Anyways... i would check the BIOS settings and see if something got mixed up. Maybe Granny got in there. I would also check the drivers and see if there is any new updates or the possibility of corruption. If all else fails, format the sucker!