• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Silent Computer worth the added temp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RobxMcCarthy

Ok, I have an Antec soho case. Currently all 5 case fan locations are employed. 3 by Arctic cooling fans, and 2 by the default ones it came with.

I'm running an Athlon 2500 + xp barton mobile at 2,500 mhz with a Zalman HS/F.
Also, I have a 9800 pro /modded to xt running at 435 / 400 with a vga silencer.

My power supply is an Antec Truepower 430.

So here's the question, this power supply has a 'fan only' connection, I've done some experimenting and right at this moment I'm running all 5 fans off of that connection. Less strain on the mobo and whatnot. However, I am finding that perhaps it's running the fans TOO low... It is indeed silent, however, they don't push much air at ALL when connected to this. I attatched the PSU probe to the CPU fan connector in hopes of boosting the speeds by forcing it to read a higher temp however it didn't change it much.

With the fans connected to the mobo / psu and NOT the fan only connector the case isn't loud, it's more of a wooshing sound than anything. My temps were
idle: 40/31
load: 43/31
although my motherboard reports more "accurate" / higher temps than most due to a thermal sensor that butts up against the back of the proc.

Running in silent mode my new temps are
idle: 43-44/38
load: 47-48/39

So, my questions are.

A) do you think the silence is worth the additional heat.
B) is there any way to adjust the "fan only" connection to run a little higher? I mean seriously it feels like they're barely pusing any air at all.

Radical

If the noise added by running the fans off the motherboard headers doesn't bother you then I'm not sure why you would want to run the fans any slower, but to me the lower noise if definitely worth it, especially since your load temps with the fans running at the lower speed are very good.

squirtle632

Is your system completely stable under a continous load? Like running Prime95 for 3 hours straight? Playing a newer game for 3 hours straight? If the answer is yes, then do not worry about it.

As far as adjustments on the fan connectors. When I asked Antec this same question about a year ago, their answer was there is NO adjustments. It is thermo regulated. When the psu gets hotter, the fans spin more. Kinda hokey, IMHO, because if your spu is getting hotter from stress than the psu is........ well you get the idea.

BTW, WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!

OP
R

RobxMcCarthy

Yeah, I didn't quite understand the logic behind that fan only setting.. And is it only the PSU fan that changes speed? Because I have yet to see any difference among the other fans. Oh well, I'll probably get a fan controller at some point, that sunbeam one looked nice. Because the system will remain nearly as silent running about 2x faster than it is at the moment.

As for prime 95... I don't know what the problem is but It gives me an error after about 2 minutes... However, I can run far cry for 3 hours, which is very intensive on the processor/memory without any crashes (50-60 fps solid.. no real drops after long sessions). Same goes for UT 2004, 3dmark 2003 demo on loop etc... Is there any reason why prime 95 would do this?

Radical

I'm not sure of the reason, but that happens to me, too, even at stock speeds. Just ignore Prime95 if that's what's happening.

Silvestre

yeah...the temp is still good even though the fan speed is slower...so go with it...my volcano 12 is totally nosy here... :D

Electron Chaser

Senior Delta Fanatic
Only you can answer that question. If your computer runs well and you are happy with the performance then stay with it. If your worried about it that much then. Try just hooking your CPU Fan up to a standard molex connector. It is in the interior of the case and therefore has the most sound insulation. Personally I would never hook up my CPU fan to the fan only connector on a power supply. I just don't trust them as much. and with five fans on it already you may want to check how many watts that connector can support. Before something bad happens.

OP
R

RobxMcCarthy

Oh my CPU fan is connected to the motherboard. I wouldn't risk putting that on the fan only connector. However. the 5 case fans are running extremely low, causing the ambient case temp to rise 8 degrees C which in turn causes the processor to rise about 5 degrees under load from the also pretty quiet full speed settings. I'm just looking for a happy medium. Also, I like how the LED fans are not as bright with the lower voltage.

Electron Chaser

Senior Delta Fanatic
RobxMcCarthy said:
Oh my CPU fan is connected to the motherboard. I wouldn't risk putting that on the fan only connector. However. the 5 case fans are running extremely low, causing the ambient case temp to rise 8 degrees C which in turn causes the processor to rise about 5 degrees under load from the also pretty quiet full speed settings. I'm just looking for a happy medium. Also, I like how the LED fans are not as bright with the lower voltage.

Oh OK whew! I must have misread your previous post. Sorry.
Seriously though check the wattage capacity on that temp switch for your PSU.

OP
R

RobxMcCarthy

Well, without getting the multi-meter out, the fan speed is the same regardless of how many are plugged in, so it's not a wattage problem. (by what you said I assume that you meant I was using too much power with 5 fans. But with 1 fan and a rpm sensor I am still getting like... 900-1,100 rpms.. which is really low for a 80mm fan that usually puts out 2,800-3,200 rpms.

Radical

Have you tried connecting the fans to a normal molex connector on the PSU? I'm not sure why you want them to be connected to the Fan Only connector if that connector is giving you problems.

OP
R

RobxMcCarthy

Yeah, they run fine. I was simply enjoying the silence of my computer. When I woke up this morning I forgot it was on, and was wondering why the lED's were lit up. That's a nice feeling.

slaya

hey, i dont mean to be rude or anything but really what different does it make if we think you should run it cooler/louder or warmer/quieter, we arent going to be there so do whatever you think is right... if you think that the noise isnt that bad than just run it cooler................

TheWesson

well I wouldn't complain about Barton @ 2.5 GHz @ 47C load. sheesh.

why don't you try ventilation mods like a duct if 47C bothers you. Ducting should add very little fan/wind noise and might help temps a lot. Or do you already have a blowhole directing air onto your HSF?

or just leave it alone. Your setup sounds pretty cherry to me. With such great temps you must be doing something right.

the wesson