• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

silver heatsinks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

heavy666

I saw in a store here in brazil a heatsink made of silver, do you guys know anything about this? is it good?
probably its expensive too.

what would be the next generation of heatsinks the GOLD?

RuKK

Solid silver, or silver plated? Off hand, I cant remember ever seeing a solid silver hsf. BTW, Gold conducts heat worse than copper, although it sure would look nice to have a gold plated solid silver slk900u ;)

-RuKK

OP
heavy666

heavy666

Solid silver in the base!!
well if gold is worst than what this could be a ADAMANTIUM hs?

N

nerdlogic

You want a diamond HS? Go steal the Hope Diamond....the largest Diamond ever! and PRICELESS!!! Then you'd have a computer that everyone would be jealous of! :eek: :D

sandman001

Just Freeze It
yea, diamond is very conductive, but you can't get it flat enough to work well.............

PunkRawk911

Eh, I'm not sure about not being able to get diamond flat enough. I mean, they do some pretty smooth laser cuts for wedding rings, and those don't hardly feel rough at all. I know due to the crystalline structure of diamond, you could never get it as flat as copper or another metal, but I think you could get it flat enough to where it wouldn't matter.

TyRex

actually, diamond conducts heat 4 to 5 times better than silver.......its too bad it's so rare

Apilot21

To cubic cerconium do the same heat transfer as diamonds? If they even come close, then a company should invest in some coal and something to put enough pressure on it to make fake diamonds. That would be great.

Crash893

"The man in black fled across the desert,
actualy you can make anything into dimions thats carbon based

they used peanut butter in one experiment

the prosses however its still costly

it reqires a great deal of electrcity and pressure

i think when i die i want to be crushed into a dimond
that would be sweet

anyway althogh dimonds arent laser cut ( like the ones on your ring) they do use uv lasers to engrave them so i dont see why you couldnt make a dimond base to a silver hsf

PunkRawk911

cubic zirconium isn't carbon compressed and heated into diamond. It's basically some sort of reinforced glass stuff. Synthetic diamond, the stuff made of supercompressed and superheated carbon is identical to carbon in it's structure and everything. Unfortunately it takes such high pressures and temperatures to process carbon into diamond that it is just as expensive as natural diamond.

Crash893

thats not true

a 1 carrot natural diamond costs around 3k

a man made one is like 600 bucks

there getting cheapr to

the cost for a artifishal( sp) comes from the cutting
if you dont need it cut like a ring dimond they are much cheaper

Excelsior

KITTENS!!! KITTENS!!! KITTENS!!! KITTENS!!!
yeah you cn also make a diamond really cheaply though... take some carbon... apply constant pressure for 10-20 million years. POOF youve got yourself a nice diamond for your great^900000 grandchild. He would be greatful that you made him a nice heatsink for his 9 Million terra hertz .0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 Micron process, 20000 Terabyte pc9900000000 DDR HARD DRIVE PALM PILOT :)

I have always wondered when we will start using RAM for harddrives...

PunkRawk911

I think using RAM for harddrives is still a good 5-6 years away, but it is coming. The limitations of todays mechanical harddrives are really starting to show in comparison to the speed of everything else in the PC. I can't wait till Solid State storage becomes mainstream.

Crash893

PunkRawk911 said:
I think using RAM for harddrives is still a good 5-6 years away, but it is coming. The limitations of todays mechanical harddrives are really starting to show in comparison to the speed of everything else in the PC. I can't wait till Solid State storage becomes mainstream.

BEHOLD THE FUTURE IS NOW

http://www.bitmicro.com/products_edisk.php

sorry for the hijack