• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Simple How To guides wanted

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
Titan386 just did an excellent guide for configuring Samba in Linux and that got me thinking: one of the things that has caused me a LOT of frustration over my years as a Linux "noob" (which I still am!) has been the difficulty at times of getting things configured. Many times I gave up for a while due to my inability to get something configured properly.
I did always go back, but it has only been recently that I have kept it running for a long period and really started to get a handle on things, so for the benefit of myself and others I would like to start compiling simple guides that help to configure Linux.

Nothing in-depth: there is plenty of that!
I am not looking to teach the in and outs of anything with these guides, but I would like to have a place where people can go and look for "How to get Samba working with my Windows network" or "Monitor CPU Temps in Linux with gkrellm." Not to explain WHY it works, just enough to MAKE it work, if you follow me;)

So after pming Titan for permission for his guide, and checking with the Alt. OS mod, I have started a section for this on my site and would like to ask all of you for any input or guides you have or know of- or care to write:)

I also invite anyone and everyone to look at what I put up, link to it and give suggestions on how to make it better.

Check it out here!

moorcito

Just thinking you might want to have a link on your page to the Linux Documentation Project. That is the best place that I've found for HOWTOs, guides, etc.

http://www.tldp.org/

But the funny thing about HOWTOs, and guides is that most of them already exist, it's just where to find them is the problem.

OP
rogerdugans

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
Links to both will be added ;)

And moorcito- I have found guides for many of the things I wanted to do in linux, but in my years of being a perpetual noob :) the problem I had is that the guides usually go in depth into the how and whys of things, when all I needed at the time was the thing to work quickly.
I found very few resources that helped with that; while I do not think that is the best way to really learn Linux, I think that there are other people in the same situation and that if they could find a simple way to get something working they might stick with it long enough to start learning more about how things work.

At least that is my theory:D

moorcito

Yeah, I agree. I think there is a fine line between those that want to learn Linux, and those that want it to work right out of the box.

I can still remember the hassels that I had with linux when I first started. I think that might be why some of the major distros are going to point and click installation/configuration.

I'll keep you posted as I find more guides, or write my own.:beer:

none1

Well, I vote for a link to the linux diskless cluster how to, at ocsetiteam.com, step by step instructions for getting a seti farm up in linux. AND, you don't even need to know linux to get this going. :)