• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sims 3 horible performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shiltz

Tried on the Sims forum and didn't get any luck there so I figured I would see if anyone here has any ideas.

I got the Sims 3 world adventures expansion a few weeks ago and been trying to play it, now the game ran flawless on my system which at the same was an athlon 64 X2 @2805Mhz, 2GB of ram, 8800GTS 640mb with windows XP MCE, I had since upgraded to Windows 7 32bit so I thought maybe the ram was an issue now so I upgraded my ram to 4gb and upgraded to a Radeon 5770 and installed Windows 7 64bit but still the performance is downright horible, like 1fps or worse at times, saved games take 5+ mins to load and even if I turn it down to 800x600 res with all the games setting at min it's still doing it, CPU is only around 50-70% usage, ram only 50-60%, and at those low settings it clearly can't be taxing that video card, I just have no ideas, and it's even a completely fresh install on windows.

Hardin

Something is amiss. I have World Adventures and I get 60 fps constantly(vsync on). Maxed out to. Do you have problems with other games?

OP
shiltz

shiltz

yup, I had tried un-installing the game and just put on the base game pre-upgrade but it was the same issue, and nope, I have no problems with other games, pre-upgrade I was able to run dragon age at max settings @ 1920x1080 just fine.

Hardin

The game does have a problem with ATI's adaptive anti aliasing, but I think it only causes graphical corruption not performance issues. I can't think of anything else though. I have the same card and that cpu should be acceptable for the game.

OP
shiltz

shiltz

Always flew for me on XP with an e6550 2GB ram and an 8800GTS maxed @ 1920/1080

Yeah, flew on my system before with 2gb, an 8800GTS and my current CPU @1920x1080 on XP too (at least without the expansion).

How much have you tried changing drivers? You might be on a driver set that for some reason hates sims3.

Well I tried two different drivers on my old geforce 8800GTS and just the latest driver on the 5770, and I formated and reinstalled the OS between the two cards so no driver conflict from old nvidia dll's hanging around.

OP
shiltz

shiltz

I've tried from 800x600 everything at min to 1920x1080 everything at max, I know the card can handle it fine cause even my old 8800GTS could on max, and it can't be my CPU or ram cause with the game running it's not coming close to maxing out either :/

OP
shiltz

shiltz

It's on the Segate Barracuda which is the faster of the two, the Raptor is just my O/S drive.

shard

Also, have you tried setting the affinity to a single core on your cpu? Normally Sims 3 has no issue, but under very seldom, and particular circumstances, some games will have issues.

OP
shiltz

shiltz

I'd say mine fits more around the 2nd from the bottom with the overclock, the Athlon X2 5000+ is 2.6Ghz, mines an Athlon 64 x2 4200+ but overclocked to 2.75Ghz, and like I said, it worked flalessly on the same system with less ram and a slower video card before on XP, so the CPU is definitly fone for it.

No, I didn't try setting the affinity to a single core, but I would think that would make it worse as Sims 3 is multi threaded and is making use of both cores on the system, and again back when I had XP and no expansion I never set any core affinity and it was fine.

Syliss

Registered
I have an Athlon 64 3200+ @ 2.0Ghz, a GeForce 8800 GTX, along with 2GB of RAM. The Sims 3 runs great on all ultra settings, and it's only ever choppy with 3x speed on. (I'm guessing because of my single core CPU.) But, it should run great on that system...