• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Single 150gig VelociRaptor Benchmarks!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joeteck

Retired
Take a look at these pics!

Never in my wildest dreams would I ever have seen this coming!

Imagine two in RAID 0...??

Short stroke them, 30 gig each.. you would have yourself a smokin' RAID 0 setup.

Attachments

• CRAP.JPG
    CRAP.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 325
  • CRAP2.JPG
    CRAP2.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:
Take a look at these pics!

Never in my wildest dreams would I ever have seen this coming!

Imagine two in RAID 0...??

Short stroke them, 30 gig each.. you would have yourself a smokin' RAID 0 setup.

That's not really that impressive... The seek times are low but for the same price you can buy 2x 36gb sas and a controller for raid 0 hardware.

The 1TB have that same or slightly less sustained reads.

That's not really that impressive... The seek times are low but for the same price you can buy 2x 36gb sas and a controller for raid 0 hardware.

The 1TB have that same or slightly less sustained reads.

However, SAS controller and SAS drives cost alot more than $179...

This is very impressive.

LOL, I would never buy used hard drives and or controllers from ebay... No warranty

:p

Does it count that I got a PERC 5i off the classifieds here for $100? There were also 36Gb 10k Fujitsu SAS 2.5" hard drives for $20 a pop. Same seller too, so you could probably get 8 drives and the controller for $180. :beer:

No warranty? Uhhh those drives have 5 years on them from fujitsu... Most of The dell percs are covered till 2011 to.

And besides at 20-40$ each for 15k why not run 4 in raid 50?

Destory those wanna be enterprise grade raptors. :beer:

Or just roll with these..

b462cf0917fae935a723aa73a67fbb9c.jpg

Last edited:
No warranty? Uhhh those drives have 5 years on them from fujitsu... Most of The dell percs are covered till 2011 to.

And besides at 20-40$ each for 15k why not run 4 in raid 50?

Destory those wanna be enterprise grade raptors. :beer:

Or just roll with these..

b462cf0917fae935a723aa73a67fbb9c.jpg

what drives are these, scsi?

Here is my two 300GB VelociRaptor's in Raid 0 with all kinds of ap's opened.And yes i still use MSN.I dont care its easy to use and im just used to it

Attachments

• rr.jpg
    rr.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 306
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 320
Stripe is 128 block on the bench is 512, any thing over 128 will show the same.

I loved my VRaps in RAID0, with all the babysitting SSD's need, I have an underlying hatred for my Vertex. 80 gigger VR's are the best, but any VR is still a great drive.....:burn:

vraptorraid0.JPG

Here are two VelociRaptor in RAID 0. Short stroked, 80gig partition.. Now that's FAST!

Attachments

• wow.jpg
    wow.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 293
I would have imagined more out of that Raid setup as well personally... look at Tusken's results compared to yours. He is hitting 222.xxMB average, you are at 155 on a SS setup.

Latency is spot on from its 7ms claims and the SS you have going on... Those are no doubt median scores for Velo's (aside from the read speeds where Tusken is 33% faster.). ;)

What stripe size are those?

Run HDtach like he did for a direct comparison.

EDIT: LOL yeah needed that info up front that they werent both Velos!!!! :)

Last edited:
Well actually, its not two VR's. One is a 160gig Raptor SATA 2.0 and the other is a VR... ;)

Waiting for my other VR drive...
Well that was a critical peice of info to be left out, lol. I can recall my two 36GB ADFD Raptors could average 151MB/s, 8.0ms.

Back