• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Single 27'' 1440p or dual 24'' 1200p

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Volumetrik

Hi, I am currently in the process of changing my monitor.

I currently have an average samsung syncmaster 24 inch 1080p display. It will go to a new build at my cottage, and so I need a new monitor for my sig rig.

I was looking at the Dell UltraSharp U2713HM which has a huge resolution of 2560x1440. LINK

I was also looking at a dual UltraSharp U2412M combo with dual monitor stand. These panels boast a 1920 x 1200 resolution. LINK

Im pretty torn as for which I will purchase. I game quite alot, so having a bigger main screen is an advantage. Although I am a bit scared that I will have to lower graphics levels in my games since I will be running a MASSIVE 2560 x 1440 screen. I am studying in software engineering, so the dual screens might be an efficiency advantage, although 2560 is massive real-estate.

I'd be interested in knowing your opinions.

PS: Sorry if this is riddled with mistakes, English is not my primary language :)

I would go 27" anytime over a dual setup, mainly because you always gonna be stuck with the bezel in the middle if gaming on both monitors.

As you said, 2560p is quite a piece of real estate. I think it will increase work efficiency just as much anyway.

I would go 27" anytime over a dual setup, mainly because you always gonna be stuck with the bezel in the middle if gaming on both monitors.

As you said, 2560p is quite a piece of real estate. I think it will increase work efficiency just as much anyway.

I agree in moving to the 27'' 2560x1440 screen -- of note, it is 1440p, not 2560p :)

I personally run a 27'' 2560x1440 with a 24'' 1920x1200 next to it (was previously running dual 1920x1200 screens). I can't imagine gaming across two screens, so one is always just a browser/etc screen while one is for games.

Thanks for the advice, I will go with the 27" as I originally intended. Also, Janus, I was going to game on one of the two 24'' screens, not both :p

Oh OK, gotcha :)

I would save up for a second monitor at some point, I don't know what I would do without a second (I've had two for years, and have 4 at work on one PC)

Why not grab some of the Samsung PLS 2560x1440 monitored off ebay, they're under $300 each and you could afford two.

Why not grab some of the Samsung PLS 2560x1440 monitored off ebay, they're under $300 each and you could afford two.

I am a bit scared of the QC of these monitors, I've been reading the HUGE thread on another similarly-named forum as this one, with over 650 pages worth of information about these displays, and the fact that the random dead pixels and of the back light bleeding (BLB) issues got me a little bit scared.

The Qnix QX2710 OCs, not all to 120Hz but most get to 96+. For $300, definitely the best value.

BLB issues seem to be user fixable as well.

Back