• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Skinny fan part two:Now I need a thin 120mm fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

seamadan000

Just like the title says. You guys came through big time on my need for a thin 80mm fan, and I figure you can do it again for 120mm! I need one that is less than 25mm thick, and I know that there are 15mm thick ones in existance, but can't find anywhere to buy them.

thanks again

Last edited:

archilochus

THE Senior FANMAN
I've never seen a 120mm fan less than 25mm thick, to this day..Good luck..:)

I need one that is less than 25mm thick, and I know that there are 15mm thick ones in existance, but can't find anywhere to buy them.

squirtle632

I understand you are loonging for a 15mm fan but isn't the pitch of the fan not going to move a lot of air? The blades are nearly perpendicular at that point. I might be wrong but I cannot see how that is going to move any air. The deeper the fan the steeper the blades to kinda scoop the air around the fan. Am I worng?

Bios24

The depth of a fan has more to do with pressure than with cfm's from my understanding. And what do you need such thin fans for? Might just have to mod and use an 80mm fan in this situation.

oh- or maybe 4 60mm fans? although that would make more noise than a 80mm or 120mm fan....

Cerberus2k7

Drifto Mexicano
I've searched for google under many different keywords and there is nothing under 25mm. That's the smallest. I saw 25 and 38mm for the 120s.

mtb856

The depth of a fan has more to do with pressure than with cfm's from my understanding.

It has just as much to do with cfms as it does with pressure.... we've just found that thick fans (38mm usually) are the highest pressure creators. The thickness of the fan has to be at least the width of the fan blades for safety reasons( and to keep the blades from catching on things.) so width of the shell is constrained by the width of the fan blades, and vice versa... the tilt of the fan blades constrains the thickness of the fan.

When you get to really thin fans, they have to run at much higher rpms to push even a decent amount of cfms b/c the fan blades are tilted so close to horizontal.

The problem with running a really thin 120mm fan might also be power constaints... a thin fan requires a smaller motor, and a high rpm 120mm fan requires a good amount of power to start up as well as to just keep moving. At any rate, this is my opinion on the subject.

archilochus

THE Senior FANMAN
seamadan000, was the one you found a used one for $5.00 :drool: ..That place has a $20.00 minimum order also..:(

Comair Rotron FL12E312 Flight 120 x 120mm x 15mm 12vdc 2.2w .18a/ 1 /$5.00 /used /120mm

CLICK HERE ;)