• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Skylake locks up just browsing the web and watching videos.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wingman99

Skylake lock up just browsing the web and watching videos 2 times it was a total lockup, Control ALT DEL did not work I had to do a soft boot. Just wondering if anyone else has had problems with Skylake yet?

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-A Intel Pentium G4400 Skylake temp 20c

Last edited:
OP
W

wingman99

No I wish I could reproduce it, the funny thing it is not my PC so I have to wait for the complaint.

mackerel

Any problems I've had have all been down to overclocking or mobo quirks, which would appear not to apply here. I'd try stress testing it as a starting point and see if you can make it go unstable.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
What are motherboard Quirks?

QUIRK
noun
a peculiarity of action, behavior, or personality; mannerism:
He is full of strange quirks.

Anyway, this is not a skylake issue. THink about it for a second before you blame an entire processor line. ;)

EDIT: Ok, this can be anything really... What troubleshooting has this user done so we don't spin our wheels suggesting things you or he did?

Its a hard boot if CTL-ALT-DELETE didn't work... Soft is doing it nice (shutdown).

Off the top of my head....

1. Disable/enable hardware acceleration in the browser
2. Switch browsers to see if it sticks with different browsers
3. Update/Rollback drivers... etc.

Last edited:

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
some motherboards set the voltage a little on the low side when the cpu is idle, try bumping the base vcore .005 and see if that corrects it.

OP
W

wingman99

Anyway, this is not a skylake issue. THink about it for a second before you blame an entire processor line. ;)

EDIT: Ok, this can be anything really... What troubleshooting has this user done so we don't spin our wheels suggesting things you or he did?

Its a hard boot if CTL-ALT-DELETE didn't work... Soft is doing it nice (shutdown).

Off the top of my head....

1. Disable/enable hardware acceleration in the browser
2. Switch browsers to see if it sticks with different browsers
3. Update/Rollback drivers... etc.

It's been years that I cant count since I have had a PC hard lock up to the point that CTL-ALT-DELETE did not work and I had to turn off the power. It's not a application Error, windows 10 runs ok on my PC CTL-ALT-DELETE always works.

Every thing is OEM no settings change vary infrequent problem 2 times in a month so far 24/7 running.

||Console||

It's been years that I cant count since I have had a PC hard lock up to the point that CTL-ALT-DELETE did not work and I had to turn off the power. It's not a application Error, windows 10 runs ok on my PC CTL-ALT-DELETE always works.

Every thing is OEM no settings change vary infrequent problem 2 times in a month so far 24/7 running.
You must not overclock any more then ...

RJARRRPCGP

some motherboards set the voltage a little on the low side when the cpu is idle, try bumping the base vcore .005 and see if that corrects it.

It may be a buggy BIOS that sets the stock Vcore too high. Saw that kind of thing on an early-2000s Soyo socket 462 motherboard before and hope that the motherboard makers aren't rushing BIOSes out like that...

It's possible for too high of Vcore to cause lock ups with low-load tasks and putting it under full load may stop the lock ups...

That happened to the mentioned socket 462 motherboard, which I had, even though it may have crashed when gaming as well... I did a quick test in late June, 2001, when the parts came, for my first Athlon and it seemed to be doing good when I ran some Goldeneye (Nintendo 64 emulation, probably with PJ64) and didn't notice anything being bad. But, later, I noticed it always crashed when I just left it at the desktop and another time, when reading a document.

Last edited:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Right?!!

That happens plenty of times... though I am not entirely sure of it's relevance either....same with a socket from 10 years ago, lol!

Anyway, twice in a month isn't much so it's going to be hard to track down. Let us know when you try the thread's suggestions. :)

OP
W

wingman99

I must be lucky or I'm vary carful when I was overclocking my i5 2500K and only had prime95 failures or windows blue screen of death.

I think this was the wrong place to ask about the PC locking up issue, it seems to be common here.

It had to be the CPU I just cant prove it, no blue screen of death, no mouse, no CTL-ALT-DELETE, no crash, The CPU instructions just halted.

Thrice

https://communities.intel.com/thread/93257?tstart=0

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2830772/skylake-build-randomly-freezing-crashing.html

http://www.overclock.net/t/1592827/i5-6600k-freezes-during-idle

Here are some links of people having the same issue.

I am having it as well. Brand new build from newegg.

I5-6600k
Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI
R9 390
2x4 GB 3200mhz, runs at 2100 by default
750 gold psu
H110i cooler with push pull config
SSD Windows 10 64 bit

Only freezes during idle, web surfing or low CPU load applications. Has failed during 3d mark CPU benchmarks. But runs fine during the GPU benchmarks.

I've tried disabling C states. Latest BIOS. Every component checks out great. I've left FFXIV on overnight without any hitches, during gaming, runs like a champ, does freeze while trying to load Star Citizen during loading screen, don't know what kind of power usage that requires.

Once I quit out of FFXIV and get back to the desktop, my monitor cuts off and I can't do anything, doesn't go into standby or anything, still receives a video signal but I can soft reset still.

I've tried the quick OC, didn't help. OF the ram, still freezes. I haven't tried going back to the default BIOS just yet.

People have swapped CPUs to fix their problem, I'm probably going to RMA once I get home.

OP
W

wingman99

I ran prime95 all night did not have a problem. I don't know what to test to reproduce the lock up.

OP
W

wingman99

It has not locked up again, just trying to find out what makes it lock up. I know it's not the PSU it has a SeaSonic S12 II SS-330GB 330W ATX12V V2.3 80 PLUS.

OP
W

wingman99

Well it lockup however I could move the mouse around though unable to click to shut down or Edge, I was able to do Ctrl-Alt-Delete=task to shut down Edge, everything ran fine after that.