• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Skylake non-k OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

v1ks_

Hey,

Am I blind or stupid, or both? Can't seem to find a non-k overclocking thread on the forums...
Who has done it, what results have you achieved, what voltage/bclk/etc did you use?

At the moment I'm still waiting for my RAM and PSU to arrive, but I had borrowed both to try out my new build. Didn't have much time on my hands to see just how far can I push it, or extensively test the stability, but I did manage to push my i5 6500 to 4.7Ghz by doing nothing more than bumbing up the voltage to 1.350, increasing my bclk and making sure RAM runs around 2600Mhz. Since I had no time what so ever, all I ran was some Cinebench.

Here are some snips of CPU-Z and CB:

Was using...
MB: Asus Z170I Pro Gaming
CPU: i5 6500
CPU Cooler: Enermax Liqmax 240 (w/ fans on max)
GPU: MSI GTX960 100ME
RAM: cheapo 2x4Gb HyperX rated at 2133Mhz CL15
PSU: cheapo VS450
Case: Cooltek W1 (w/ case fans on max)

Should be getting my EVGA 650GQ and Trident Z later this week. Will try and see just how far I can push it. :)

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Neither... there hasn't been much of that on here outside of us hoarding BIOSs as they stripped some of that ability away... so I woudln't flash your BIOS.

That said, settings will be different for every CPU as far as voltage/BCLK, etc. ;)

OP
v1ks_

v1ks_

Gotcha!

I'm already on a custom BIOS from a that certain site who are hosting modified BIOSes just for this purpose.
I understand the settings will vary from chip to chip and from board to board, I'm mostly curious how much other people have managed to squeeze out from their non-k chips.
It's unlikely I'll be running my chip with a 24/7 OC, just having fun before I move to an i5, or i7 k CPU sometime later. So not too concerned with what people consider to be "safe" :p

Last edited:

devlos

I was kind of wondering what people of on the non_K for dd. Sub'd to find out if that info pops up here.

dudleycpa

"i5 6500 to 4.7Ghz by doing nothing more than bumping up the voltage to 1.350"

Very nice results! Subed!

OP
v1ks_

v1ks_

Oh, gotcha devlos. Been living with laptops way too long, lol...

dudleycpa, hope I won't disappoint, heh!

Sadly, the blasted online retailer who's supposed to deliver my RAM and PSU still can't tell me when will they have them. It was supposed to be 5 - 10 working days. I placed my order last Monday. Tomorrow is the last working day before the Easter Holiday and things are starting to look grim. Most likely I'll just get eggs for Easter - no RAM or PSU. :(

Zuzzz

Premium Member
Neither... there hasn't been much of that on here outside of us hoarding BIOSs as they stripped some of that ability away... so I woudln't flash your BIOS.

That said, settings will be different for every CPU as far as voltage/BCLK, etc. ;)

^^^^^ refers to Non Z170 Chipsets combined with Non-K chips. IIRC if you have the Z170 board you can change the bclk without a special BIOS.

Z

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Not sure about that. Most b/h 150 boards don't have overclocking options in the first place.

In the past, locked chips are locked no matter what. Intel upgraded the microcode, hence the bios hoarding. ;)

OP
v1ks_

v1ks_

No updates for now, here to whine... :(
Had my PSU and RAM put on back-order and if I'm lucky, I'll get them on Tuesday. It's my BDay tomorrow and... meh... no PC. :(
Only thing cheering me up somewhat, is the GPU upgrade I did. Managed to pick up a Palit Super Jetstream GTX 980 for cheap (just under $400).
So, until I get my RAM and PSU, no new results from me... :(

OP
v1ks_

v1ks_

Sooo... sorry 'bout the silence. Was "busy", yep, that's it... busy. :D

Anyway, played around a little this evening. Frankly, I'm somewhat disappointed with the results.
http://valid.x86.fr/jwn3m7
http://valid.x86.fr/bpni7m

With the first OC I managed to pass Cinebench R15 for 801 points (which makes me wonder, how the hell the highest score in CBR15 on HWBot was achieved, with a lower freq).

The second would either freeze the PC or give a BSOD, and increasing voltage didn't help either. Lowering the voltage(to 1.5) in the second OC either gave a BSOD on logging in to Windows, or during a validation attempt, so I guess I can't get that OC with less than 1.525 in BIOS.

Didn't notice any difference from keeping the RAM speeds lower, so I kept them around 3000Mhz. All the other voltages were left on Auto, because frankly speaking, I wasn't sure what to set them to. :)

Last edited:

OptyTrooper

I've said it before and will say it again as evidenced Skylake around 4.8GHZ and higher requires massive voltage increases. Don't be dissapointed dial it back to 4.7 and call it a day.

OP
v1ks_

v1ks_

Oh, I'm just doing this for fun tbh, so I guess I'll try and push it a bit more. I'm just disappointed I didn't get over 5Ghz mark (4993 is close, but not enough, heh).
As for 24/7, I don't plan to OC the chip. If I won't burn it, it'll go in my son's rig that I want to build.

Registered in HWBOT under team Overclockers.com, just for fun so... really want those 5Ghz and wanted them stable enough for some benchmarks.

I suppose my motherboard isn't helping either, lol, considering it's an mITX board. Thinking about a Gene VIII in the coming months because it looks like I'll need to move to mATX (bought a 2.5 slot GPU, which was supposed to fit my case, but doesn't and afaik, no other mITX can house one (save for Thermaltake X1, which is gigantic)).

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
Your board should be good for everything up to 5GHz. I was using MSI Z170I Gaming Pro AC which is about the same but from MSI. These ITX boards are even overclocking memory better than full atx series just because traces between memory slots and CPU are shorter.
Now MSI is in RMA but I'm planning to use delidded i3 [email protected]+ on this board. I only have to check how stable is unlocked BIOS. If I will be able to keep similar performance in games as on 6600K which I have in my gaming PC then I will probably sell 6600K. MSI should back from RMA soon. At least I got info from support that it's replaced to new one and is on the way to me.