• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Skylake non-k OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks, I'll see what I can do with it then. Weekend is all planned out though, so most likely I won't be able to fiddle with the CPU until next week.
Does anyone have any suggestions regarding the other voltages? VCCSA, VTT, DRAM... is it better to leave them on Auto, or should I try to fiddle with those as well, in hopes that it would help with the OC and getting them benchmarks to run at higher clocks?

Does your board have options for PLL termination and PLL bandwidth? If so try 1.45v termination and level 6 bandwidth. If you don't have termination voltage raise the CPU standby voltage to around 1.18-1.2v. The voltages you mentioned all have to do with memory and shouldn't need much adjustment. Maybe VCCSA (system agent) could use a little bump.

Don't remember if such options were present. Currently I'm at work, but I sure will take a look once I get back home.
I know for sure that there was the option for CPU standby voltage and for the system agent. Again, they're on Auto - no idea how good the board is at adjusting them properly...

On MSI I'm setting 1.20 or 1.25V VCCIO and VCCSA at 3600+ memory clock. I could probably set it lower but I'm sometimes switching memory above 4000 and ITX Z170 has 1.25V limit anyway.
If you are not setting high memory clock then it won't make any difference and you can leave these voltages at auto ( I mean at 3200 or something lower ).
Most boards are adjusting voltage when you leave it at auto so if you set 3400+ memory clock then you will probably see ~1.3V SA/IO.

I'm not changing other voltages if I'm not using sub 0 cooling ( mainly dry ice ). On air/water cooling you won't see any difference. When you move to better cooling then PLL is helping to achieve higher clocks.

finally found the thread that I need.

I am planning to rebuild my pc entirely, I want a skylake i7 which I can get to 4.5 ghz with ht on and the motherboard that allows me to overclock it.

I have read around that they removed the option to overclock non K processors.

Well I can't spend a lot of money so I need your advice, anyone got a solution? I don't want to get something wrong <.<

I think that depends on what you want, how many cores? And what you're willing to spend?
To OC a Non"K" you still will need an overclocking motherboard so z170 chipset. If you want 4 cores + HT you might as well get the 6700K VS the non K

One of the cheapest Z170 boards is MSI Z170M Mortar. It's not the best overclocking board but is pretty solid. Also most Z170 boards have non-K OC BIOS. All MSI, ASRock and ASUS have it. I don't know if all GB and EVGA too. It's of course not available on official websites but you will find one for nearly all popular models.

If you want 4 cores+HT then there is no point to save on 6700 non K. Really price difference is not so big and even if you get non-K OC BIOS then remember it's on old microcode and there won't be any updates. Also these BIOSes have limited functionality ( no IGP support, no AES and some more ).

Well i was hoping to get something like the i7 920 was back in the day, stock it was the worst, but could get overclocked as high as the more expensive cpus.

Thank you for letting me know, definitely will get the 6700k with medium range mb and memory.

Now if only microsoft wouldn't force me that win10 down the throat while trying to convince me it is for my own good . . .

I'm just starting to play with an i3-6320 on a z170m oc formula with the stock bios. So far...have no problem running stable with 102.935 bclk. 103.00 (the next available speed after 102.935) and it hard freezes. Wish there was a way to make the bclk adjustments a bit finer :/

Still need to do a lot of testing to figure out the board, cpu and ram but will eventually take it cold using one of the special bios. It allows for overclocking of both K and non-K cpus.

Are you using a bios that is specifically designed for Skylake BCLK overclocking?

http://overclocking.guide/overclocking-non-k-intel-skylake-cpus-performance-tests/

For most boards, you need to make sure that SpeedStep and the C States are disabled. On my Asus board, you can only overclock the BCLK 2 or 3 MHz before it hard locks if any of the C States are enabled or if you are using the Intel GPU. With those disabled and with the correct bios from the above site, the BCLK can go beyond 120 MHz with an i3-6300.

Once this bios gets the BCLK up over about 103 MHz or 104 MHz, it goes into party mode. No use trying to increase the BCLK in baby steps.

Are you using a bios that is specifically designed for Skylake BCLK overclocking?

http://overclocking.guide/overclocking-non-k-intel-skylake-cpus-performance-tests/

For most boards, you need to make sure that SpeedStep and the C States are disabled. On my Asus board, you can only overclock the BCLK 2 or 3 MHz before it hard locks if any of the C States are enabled or if you are using the Intel GPU. With those disabled and with the correct bios from the above site, the BCLK can go beyond 120 MHz with an i3-6300.

Once this bios gets the BCLK up over about 103 MHz or 104 MHz, it goes into party mode. No use trying to increase the BCLK in baby steps.
I'm using an AsRock Z170-Pro4. The newer bios disable Skylake overclocking via BCLK. You need to roll back. Intel basically forced the manufactures to release BIOS that don't allow BCLK overclocking, See this thread.http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/770763-Pentium-G4400-5103-09

On nearly all boards except ASRock OCF max bclk is ~102.75MHz. On ASRock OCF/M OCF max is 102.93MHz. Sometimes it spikes to 103MHz.
Because of that all best results in some benchmarks were made on ASRock OCF series. I mean all without exceptions like in XTU. Top 20-30 results on some CPUs include exactly the same CPU/mobo/memory and most are using the same memory settings.

On ASUS Hero/Ranger I had max ~102.72MHz, on MSI Z170I/Z170M I had max ~102.75MHz. Looks like Intel locked it at this frequency. There are many options improving max bclk but none of them are helping on locked CPUs.

The only way to go above that is to use that one microcode which is letting to run bclk higher ... but it cripples performance and isn't supporting some CPU features.

Took the 6320 cold yesterday but couldn't get it beyond 145bclk (with 1.83 vcore) on the z170m oc formula (using the k/non-k oc bios). Here's my 'help me figure it out' thread with current results.

Back