• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SL6Z3 vs SL6Z5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

raven

I have the option of getting a SL6Z3 right away, but was hoping to get a SL6Z5 but i cant find those anywhere in my area yet.

Could someone maybe explain to me please the advantages and disadvantages of having a multiplier at 12x or 14x? like would i be happier with a 2.4C m0 or should i wait for a 2.8C m0?

i have OCZ pc3500 platinum dual channel kit, and an AI7 mobo.

what im trying to figure out is what would be better for me? price isnt a concern since it is only $40 Canadian more for me, but its the waiting game that im playing.

Which have been the everage OC's with the Z3 and the Z5 from people on these forums?

Thanks for trying to help me out, im really confused =s

Raven

TC

Senior Seti Addict
Having a higher multiplier means you don't have to push the front side bus as high to reach a given overclock. There is a balance of course. You gain performance from a higher front side, but if your memory can't handle the speed at a 1:1 ratio you have to use dividers to slow it down. Generally speaking your best performance will come from getting the max overclocked speed possible with your cpu AND a high front side bus with the ram at 1:1 and good latency settings - i.e. Cas 2336 or thereabouts. This doesn't cover all of the possible scenarios of course, but should give you a starting point.

OP
raven

raven

Im pretty sure that my memory can reach those high FSB speeds. and this AI7 i beleive has great mem voltage regulations. But then again, it all depends on what the chip will do.. If the chip it self wont be able to make good speeds, then no matter what other components i have, it wont make that much of a difference. But thanks for the info TC. It is what i wanted to know. So if running my mem at 1:1 , and getting an FSB of 300 with the 12x multiplier, that would yeild better results for me instead of using a 14x multiplier with an FSB at 257 ( both working out to 3.6GHz )

So then in conclusion, if i get to 3.6 with 1:1 with both chips, the one with the lower multiplier and higher FSB, will give me better performance?

PS. Invisible Hand, give me a few days and ill give you a link to the site. I personaly called many computer stores in my area to check for these specific chips and i only found out that this place had the Z3's by going there and personaly asking them.

OP
raven

raven

alien76 said:
The only problem is where did/do/will you find a memory to run at 600 Mhz?????

ok, maybe i wont beable to....hum.. just bare with me here, lol im still a new when it comes to o/c-ing. but ok, what if that were to happen? if both chips were clocked at the same speed, the 2.4 using 300 FSB and the 2.8 using 257 at 1:1 mem timeings and everythign else is the same. the 2.4 would stil outpreform the 2.8 right?

batboy

Senior Moment
TC laid it all out pretty good. No way you'll be able to use the 1:1 ratio with the 2.4C at 300 FSB. Even 5:4 might be a little tough at 300 FSB, but since your OCZ has BH-5 chips and you'll have the advantage of being able to crank the vmem, you'll have a shot at it. Certainly 3.5 gig at 5:4 is probably within reach anyway.

If you luck out and get a golden chip with the 2.8C M0, then that would be awesome. Not many here have those yet. I've read over at the extreme forum where folks are getting anywhere from 3.4 to 3.9 gig on air. There is probably no way that PC3500 RAM will do 1:1 with the 2.8C though.

Looks like with the components you have to work with, maybe the 2.4C SL6Z3 might be a good bet. Nothing wrong with 5:4 ratio if you can use tight timings.

PS: if you could make everything equal except FSB, then the higher FSB will win.

OP
raven

raven

ok then, im going to call that local store on tuesday and find out if their new shipment of 2.8's came with a SL6Z5 and if not, then i will go for the Z3 unless there is something else i should know?

how are the 2.8' SL6WT's doing? are the overclocks on them decent on air?

and btw, 3.5-3.6 is what i am aiming for anyways. i will tho get maybe a pelt or do water in about 6 months time, and if possible try to o/c my system even more, because i doubt that i would be upgrading to something new then. And maybe in 2005 pick up a new system with the BTX and teja's.

pkrew

Batboy is right, you wont get 300fsb out of your memory no matter what voltage you give it, but at 5/4 you could very likely get 240 if you give it some extra voltage. If you chose the 2.8 a got to 3.6G you'd have to have a fsb of 257. Its possible that you could get 1/1 at that fsb. I've heard that people have gotten as high as 260, but don't know what the timmings were. The chances are that you wont and have to drop to 5/4 with the 2.8 and both at 3.6 the 2.4C would be faster. Honesly, you'd probably be faster with the 2.8 and running 1/1 and a slower overall clock. Of course if you get to 3.9 on the 2.8 then all bets are off and you're golden, even at 5/4

OP
raven

raven

Now i just really want a 2.8 =s

im so indecisive.... I just today finally ended up getting the AI7 and now im trying to choose the chip to go with it. In my case, im guessing i wont decide on a chip till like next summer =s

unless someone can get me a 2.8C m0 for less then $300 Canadian .... ?:D

but ya... i want my chip to get to 3.6. so either i wait for a 2.8 m0 or get either a WT or WJ 2.8c , or pray that i can get 3.6 with the 2.4 m0.......

someone.. help me decide... what would be the best thing to do?

OP
raven

raven

Batboy, how did you get 3.5 with the 2.4c m0? does yoru water setup have a lot to do with you getgting those high speeds? and i see that you have PC3000 ram, so shodlnt my 3500 be able to get your speeds?

And wha if i decide to get a D1 2.8c? which should i go for? the SL6WT or the SL6WJ?

GTac02

Raven, im on the exact same boat as you, and ive been thinking about it so much that I started to kinda hate this overclocking deal a little. What about your setup pkrew? i read on a thread you beat a guy with a 2.4c 300fsb (what were his dividers again?).
Also pkrew, what divider are you using?

Im so lost, ive thought about 2.4c M0 or 2.8c M0 also, and have come to no conclusion. Ive also wondered if i should save some more for vapochill (is it worth it/?), at first i was going for a sp-94 with tornado or with panaflo, now i wana do wc ( thought of every single possibility for wc), Ive taken so many calculations of what i can do with my money, if i should wait till prescott comes out to save some money or if i should even get a prescott!?. Ive also thought if i should even do this at all! i have a 1.9ghz dell with fx5900 ultra, so i duno. I already built one for my cuzin and i liked it but at the same time i duno if its worth all the money. This has become the biggest dilema...

batboy

Senior Moment
I was able to hit 3.55 gig on good air cooling with my M0 2.4C. My water cooling, plus maybe a couple other factors were responsible for finally reaching 3.6 gig. So, I would think a stable 3.5 gig is a reasonable goal with really good air cooling for a good 2.4C M0 CPU.

My PC3000 RAM will go 300 FSB if I use the 3:2 ratio. With the 5:4 ratio I can go up to 283 FSB with tight timings and a max of 286 FSB with relaxed timings. I'm assuming it would go higher if I had more vdimm voltage. My IC7 is limited to 2.8v. The AI7 has much higher settings, so you "should" be able to run your RAM higher. Plus, that Mushkin black level 2 has a good rep for high speed.

I would recommend better northbridge cooling if you plan on super high FSB.

Remember, nothing is guaranteed in overclocking.

Surfeit00

Disabled
for the record, 300 fsb is doable with geil pc4200 & vdimm mods

mr. icee at xs hit ddr310 2-2-2.....with a 3.8 vdimm;)

OP
raven

raven

batboy said:
I was able to hit 3.55 gig on good air cooling with my M0 2.4C. My water cooling, plus maybe a couple other factors were responsible for finally reaching 3.6 gig. So, I would think a stable 3.5 gig is a reasonable goal with really good air cooling for a good 2.4C M0 CPU.

My PC3000 RAM will go 300 FSB if I use the 3:2 ratio. With the 5:4 ratio I can go up to 283 FSB with tight timings and a max of 286 FSB with relaxed timings. I'm assuming it would go higher if I had more vdimm voltage. My IC7 is limited to 2.8v. The AI7 has much higher settings, so you "should" be able to run your RAM higher. Plus, that Mushkin black level 2 has a good rep for high speed.

I would recommend better northbridge cooling if you plan on super high FSB.

Remember, nothing is guaranteed in overclocking.

Ya i know nothing is guarenteed in overclocking, but thanks for letting me knwo that 3.5 atleast is dooable with my setup and on air. hum. im just wondering tho.. so it is a good idea to get the 2.4 m0 then? rather then a 2.8C D1 stepping?

OP
raven

raven

and ya, 3.8 look a bit too high =s
i think id feed my ram maybe 3.0 or max 3.1 i dont want to blow my money on somethign as simple as feeding it too much voltage

pkrew

I agree, 3.8v on the memory is insane. I run mine at 3.2v and at 1/1. I've been running it like that for about 4 months without problems and the ram doesn't seem to get hot. Above 247 the ram causes my system to be unstable. That's with the hyperX and the max3 has issues with vtt. I've read a couple of threads by Catch22toPlay that he was able to get 260 out of black lvl 2 after performing the vtt mod on the max3. I'm not sure what his timmings were, but the AI7 to my knowledge doesn't have the same defect. So its possible to get that high of fsb out of the lvl2, but who knows if you will. The chances are excellent however, that you'd get the 240 you'd need with the 2.4 to run 5/4 at 300fsb with your AI7. I think that you'd also have a tough time getting 3.6G from a D1 stepping 2.8 on air. I'm sure people have done it, but probably unlikely. 3.5G I think is a good bet. If you go with the 2.8 D1 you may also consider getting a malay. Its all a gamble.

Last edited:

Silversinksam

Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©
Surfeit00 said:
for the record, 300 fsb is doable with geil pc4200 & vdimm mods

mr. icee at xs hit ddr310 2-2-2.....with a 3.8 vdimm;)

Mr Icee is one of the most experienced Overclockers out there, his results are definetly not indicative of what the majority of people are going to be able to achieve.

Mr.Icee has probably gone through a boatload of memory sticks to find one able to suit his needs. Randy's a good guy and he goes to extremes, as do many of the folks at Xtremesystems in pursuit of every last drop of Mhz they can muster out of their equiptment.

OP
raven

raven

well, i called my local store and they said they got the 2.4 m0 in, so im gona go pick it up probably tonight. they hadnt gotten shipments of the 2.8's yet, so i might as well just go with the 2.4.

im probably goign to pick up a zalman HSF and some AS5 and see if i can reach 3.5!

raven