• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

*SLI* COOPER 3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ArcticDrop

Registered
Hey guys,

So I recently built a PC after being away from gaming for a few years.

RIG:

:salute:
Asus 970 Gaming Aura Mobo
AMD 8350
Corsair H105
Thermaltake Silencer f31
750w Corsair Psu
MSI GTX 960 2gb
4gb Crucial DDr3 Ram (Untili go to microcenter today to switch for 8gb of kingston)
2 x 250gb Kingston SSDs
Windows 10

I still have the buying parts bug though so i'm planning on adding some parts to the current rig.

QUESTION:
I can probably find another 960 for around 150$.
Is SLI with these cards stable?
Will my 750W Bronze Power supply support these cards even though i have a power hungry cpu (push pull h105 4 fans, 2 200mm Front Fans, One Exhaust, 2 Drives)
If adding another card is going to add to my crashing problem - http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/776634-Just-When-I-Thought-I-Was-Safe
Should i just try for a newer card?

bob4933

Yeah, getting a second gtx 960 will let you post windows event viewer logs even FASTER!

edit: fwiw, sli of 960 2gb cards is pretty much useless.

Last edited:

Lochekey

Senior Pink Member
Yeah, getting a second gtx 960 will let you post windows event viewer logs even FASTER!

edit: fwiw, sli of 960 2gb cards is pretty much useless.

That is gong to be dependent on the games you play and the resolution you are playing at. I saw a detonate improvement in Borderlands 3 and the Witcher 3 with sli'd 960s.

As a force of habit though I don't normally recommend sli. You would do better by selling your 960 for 150 and taking the 150 you are looking to spend and picking up a used 980 for 300.

bob4933

That is gong to be dependent on the games you play and the resolution you are playing at. I saw a detonate improvement in Borderlands 3 and the Witcher 3 with sli'd 960s.

As a force of habit though I don't normally recommend sli. You would do better by selling your 960 for 150 and taking the 150 you are looking to spend and picking up a used 980 for 300.

There's almost no reason to sli 2gb gtx 960's. The power they put out is severely bottlenecked by its vram. 2gb just isn't enough.