• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slight problem with my 9800 pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Venesectrix

I just bought a 9800 pro off newegg (here), as well as Far Cry, which I've been playing quite a bit lately. It runs fine at 1024x768 on medium detail, however, at some points certain objects look like they're outlined by pixels. It's kind of hard to describe it, but in certain parts of the game where there's a sharp contrast between light and dark (the first time I noticed this was on a skeleton in the cave you start out in), sometimes the object will appear to have itself rendered as though the edge of it were made up of triangles. It's really hard to describe and I'm probably not making sense, so I'll try something in ASCII (unless someone knows of a way to take screenshots in Far Cry?):

(the dashes are background, equal signs are the object, and the ^ is the glitch things)
--^=^--
-^===^-
^=====^
=======
^=====^
-^===^-
--^=^--

As far as I have seen so far, this only happens with Far Cry (though the only other game I've tried on this card is UT2004), and it only happens when the object contrasts with its background (and even then it only happens occasionally). Also, sometimes moving around and viewing the object from a different angle gets rid of the glitch, and sometimes it doesn't. My card isn't overclocked (yet ;)), and I'm pretty sure its adequately cooled, what with the huge heatsink and all. So, anybody know what's causing this/how I can fix it?

=ACID RAIN=

It might be the drivers, if you have 4.7s loaded. Otherwise, try going to a spot where you see it and hit "printscreen" on your keyboard. now paste into an editor and there ya go :).

The-Traveler

Don't use the 4.7 drivers, use the 4.6.

It is a problem on 9800xts as far as I know but it is possible that it is affecting your 9800pro as well.

OP
V

Venesectrix

It was the drivers, I downloaded and installed the 4.6 catalyst and now it's working fine. Thanks guys!