• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slightly different pair of modules query

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

philee

Hi all,
I don't particularly overclock my PC, except for what was offered to me in the BIOS in terms of a simple level up. Even though things are running absolutely fine, I used CPU-Z to check out what memory I had with my build from the bundle I got (having stupidly thrown the packaging away), and then I grabbed an extra 4GB second set of RAM modules that were (I thought) exactly matched to what I had. They are a little different (see links below). I am about to get a Samsung 830 SSD and I have these two very similar pairs of modules installed. They have a slightly different latency. I have not noticed any problems but thought I might ask if this is OK or may lead to issues? I thought they would both just run at the slower speed but I probably am a little out of my depth when it comes to the nuances of memory. You all seem like a great bunch and I look in on your conversations regularly, so thought I would ask you my question about this.

The two types are:

http://patriotmemory.com/products/detailp.jsp?prodline=5&catid=34&prodgroupid=200&id=855&type=1

and

http://patriotmemory.com/products/detailp.jsp?prodline=5&catid=34&prodgroupid=200&id=856&type=1

If you need lots more info about my rig just let me know and I can post the relevant details.

Thanks in advance!!

It is usually best to run matched sets but if your not having issues then I don't see any need to worry. A quick look at those kits seems one might just be a better binned version of the same thing. For giggles before I got my second set of the ripjaws I use I put my 2x2GB set of hypers in to see if it was worth going to 8 GB and had no issues and they are about as different of a set of memory as I could have chosen. One is rated for 1600 9-9-9-24 @ 1.5v and the other 2000 8-8-8-24 @ 1.65v with both having different memory IC's and they worked fine at the slower memory's settings.

The first kit is rated at DDR3-1333; 9-9-9-24 and 1.5V, while the second is also DDR3-1333, but rated at 7-7-7-20 and 1.7V. The BIOS probably configured both sets to run at the looser 9-9-9-24 and 1.5V, which can be verified by opening CPU-Z to the Memory tab.

Thanks!

That was quick!

That was what confused me, each pair were showing the two different latencies of 9-9-9 and 7-7-7 in cpu-z when actually running.

Sounds like I was worrying unnecessarily then, thanks both for your replies. I will go ahead and get that SSD!

Check the memory tab, it will show what they are currently runnng at (both sets will be running the same), the SPD tab shows what they are rated for.

Check the memory tab, it will show what they are currently runnng at (both sets will be running the same), the SPD tab shows what they are rated for.

You are so right, thank you. They are all going for 8-8-8-20 now, which sounds fair :).

Thanks again.

If you have any problems with them running at those "negotiated" timings, bump up the ram voltage a little to give the slower sticks a little extra push, say add about .05 volts.

Back