• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLK 800 & 80mm Tornado Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

StuGotz

I just received my SLK 800 & 80mm Tornado for the new MB and CPU I ordered this week (ASUS A7N8X Deluxe & 2600+). I put the HSF combo on my current setup-->Gigabyte 7VRXP & 2000+, just to see how much cooler it would run. I have Arctic Silver 3 on the core.

Now when I boot the PC doesn't POST. It hangs for about 3 secs and turns itself off completely. I'm guessing it's hitting thermal shutdown temp. I put my CoolerMaster back on and it POSTS fine... I put the tornado on the Powersupply with the coolermaster on the cpu to see if my P/S was the issue, it it POSTs fine.

What in the world could be goin on here? From what I've been reading this HSF combo should be one of the best on the market right now.

Maximouse

Sounds like the Heatsink is not seated properly on the cpu. Double check when you install it to see if there is any gap between the HS and cpu. Also check and see if the tornado is reporting the rpms to the mb .

Al

OP
S

StuGotz

No Gap...

I'm pretty sure there is no gap i pulled the heatsink off and the arctic silver 3 is completely covering it ( has the tiny hills all over to show it was making good contact...

There's a copper shim in between as well

Maximouse

try it without the shim. And if you have another fan. try using that to see if there is a problem with the speed sensor on the fan.

Al

OP
S

StuGotz

Well the fan feels like it's running full blast. Sure as hell sounds like it. I ran it without the fan connected to mb as well, so it wasn't reporting rpms to the BIOS. Even so it shouldn't matter... would it??? The fan was installed stock, blowing air down into the heatsink.

nut581

this might not be the answer, but this could be :)

if your mobo's bios set to turn the pc off on fan failure (CPU fan), you should try to turn that feature off .. since tornado don't have RPM monitoring, i suppose the mobo thinks that the fan is not running ...

Maximouse

nut581 said:
this might not be the answer, but this could be :)

if your mobo's bios set to turn the pc off on fan failure (CPU fan), you should try to turn that feature off .. since tornado don't have RPM monitoring, i suppose the mobo thinks that the fan is not running ...

Thats what I am trying to say :)

His fan is not reporting rpms to the MB and the bios thinks theres a failure so it shuts the computer down.

Maximouse

StuGotz said:
Well the fan feels like it's running full blast. Sure as hell sounds like it. I ran it without the fan connected to mb as well, so it wasn't reporting rpms to the BIOS. Even so it shouldn't matter... would it??? The fan was installed stock, blowing air down into the heatsink.

The fan that is connected to the cpu header should report rpms to the MB. Some bios's have a failsafe which shuts down the machine if it cant detect a fan spinning.

OP
S

StuGotz

The tornado was reporting rpms to the BIOS because I had the RPM lead plugged into the cpu fan power supply on the mb. Even so, I just looked in my BIOS (Gigabyte 7VRXP) and didn't see any setting of the sort. I have thermal shutdown set to 110 Celsious...

I feel like nothing ever goes right for me :(

Thanks for all the info guys!

Maximouse

StuGotz said:
The tornado was reporting rpms to the BIOS because I had the RPM lead plugged into the cpu fan power supply on the mb. Even so, I just looked in my BIOS (Gigabyte 7VRXP) and didn't see any setting of the sort. I have thermal shutdown set to 110 Celsious...

I feel like nothing ever goes right for me :(

Thanks for all the info guys!

is it running? Just because the fan is plugged in does not mean that the fan is reporting to the MB. Some fans do not have the 3rd lead to the header which means they are unable to report rpms. try hooking the the fan from your other heatsink up to the cpu header and hook the tornado into another lead.

OP
S

StuGotz

OK, Tornado was plugged in and the yellow RPM lead was plugged into the system fan header. It reported back a 5727 RPM consistantly. So the fan is working properly. Could the CPU reach 110 degrees celsious in under 3 secs? I mean the fan was blowing down on it and the heatsink was firmly seated. It does use all 6 socket clips. And boy is it a TIGHT sqeeze. The clip has a horribly SMALL slot to stick a small slotted screwdriver in for leverage.

OP
S

StuGotz

Yes, the shim is copper, but has a fairly nice slit for the bridges. I used conductive grease to connect my L1 bridges, so if the SLK800 would have touched them, the grease would have smeared.

Thanks for all the input guys! I think we'll get this one figured out eventually.

OP
S

StuGotz

I also just tried moving the current fan to the system fan header instead of the cpu header to see if it shutsdown. It worked fine, so even if the RPM lead wasn't working, it shouldn't have been an issue.:mad: