• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLK-800 or Volanco 9

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cbakey

I have a A7N8X and i am planing to update to a 2500+ xp and was woulndering what would be the best heat sink, i am not quite ready to switch to water yet. If there is something better than theses two please tell me.
Thanks

Rafterman223

The SLK-800 is much better than the Volcano 9. That put, the real choice, in my opinion, comes between the SLK-800 and the SLK-900. The 800 runs for around $35 - $40 while the 900 for about $45 - $50. The 900 accepts 92mm fans, which would make for better and quieter cooling, but it's size sometimes makes a problem with fitting with some motherboards, though i've never heard of a problem with the A7N8X. Personally I would go with thew SLK-900U

Pixelpunk

Registered
SVC has got the Thermalright heatsinks on special through Monday. Heres the coupon and model numbers and price if your interested.

Thermalright SLK-900(U) Socket Cooler
$39.99 with coupon code afa98292ea

Thermalright SLK-800(U) Socket Cooler
$32.99 with coupon code afa98292ea

Thermalright SLK-800(A) Socket Cooler
$28.95 with coupon code afa98292ea

xace

lol hasn't this topic been brought up maybe 5 times at least in the past? use the forums search first.

SLK-800.

N

nerdlogic

Top of the line for air cooling at this point is the SLK-900U (Or the SLK-800 if the 900 won't fit or you don't have the mounting holes around the socket.)

Cheesy Peas

the slk900 does fit on the a7n8x, just.

It requires the most bending of capacitors, and some boards might not have caps that are flewible enough, sou you could end up with: a dead board, or a heatsink that does not fit.

Get the slk800, A or U. The U is more expensive but is more secure for if you like to move your pc around a lot.

And theres no competition between the slk(any) and the volcano(any). But the volcanos do come with good fans, and probably the one i would recomend for the slk800. The smart fan 2.