• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLK-800 + Smart Fan 2 = Suck?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hassmh

Registered
I'd seen some people say it's not the best combo, but I just put the Smart Fan 2 on my new SLK-800 and it is really bad. I had to drop to stock speed and open my case just to load Windows! I took the thing off, redid my Arctic Alumina, tried again and same result. I was doing tons better with my Volcano 7! Something has got to be wrong. Any ideas?

What do you mean you had to drop to stock speed? Stock speed as in fan speed or cpu speed (Mhz)? What exactly is the problem you are having?

just a guess but he probably cranked the overclock, cpu heated up and the smart fan II could not keep up so he dropped the cpu back to stock speed. just a guess though.
i would try reseating that hs.

What I mean is I removed my Volcano 7 which I was able to OC a little with, and put on my new SLK-800 and I can't OC at all! I can't boot into Windows even at stock CPU speed with the side of the case on!

I've redone the HS twice already, I'll try it again tomorrow but I'm sure it's on right. The mounting clip is really tight, so it should be making good contact. I've got an XP 1800 and it's running 48C with the fan full blast and the case open under full load. Case temp is 28C.

I've used both the SF2 and Tornado on my SLK-800. The Tornado is better by a few degrees, even on a rheo. The SF2 was still good enough to not have problems though.

Bah, stupid pads! I put one of the little pads on a little bit off and it was catching a little on one of the CPU pads! Needless to say, the HS wasn't making very good contact. Guess I should take my time next time. Now running 9C cooler than with my Volcano 7, and the fan isn't even on full :D

Thanks for the input. I think I may get a Tornado and do some rewiring to allow speed adjustment.

Well i just placed the order for the SLK-800 from svcompucycle. $44 with 2-day shipping. Not too bad. I will post updates of temp readings.

Im willing to give up 2c just for easier mounting. Man ive had tese 4 hole Heatsinks for about a year and im tired of it. But more than likely i will see 1-2c lower temps.

Back