• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

slk900 high temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aem

i picked up my package yesterday and when i opened it i saw my slk900 has some straches on the left side i mean the part where two pieces join together will it affect the temp? i installed the 92mm tornado with the clips there are 3 sets of clips i used the biggest one but it was really difficult to install it then i measure the clip and it was 80cm.is it for 80mm fan or 92mm.?if it is for 92mm. why is it too hard to install? i applied the thermal compound and i saw my temps wont go below than 39C at idle and 45C on load isnt that too much? when i o/c my cpu(2.4b) to 3000mhz wýth 1.74v my temps are 55C. the board temp. is 34C and the room temp. is 30C . anybody has some idea why is my temp too high?and you recommend me to use the thermalcompound that comes with the slk900. thks..

John LA

I would say that with a 30 ambient, 34 for the board is not too bad at all. Is the 55 temp with the Tornado at full speed?
Is it the 38mm thick tornado? If you look you should also see two sets of holes in HS that the fan mounting clips can go through. One set is higher than the other.
What HSF where you using before and what kind of temps did you get? 55 seems a bit high but with your room temp I would expect around 50 with a 34 board temp.
My 2.53 @ 3.08 runs 38-41 full load at room temp of 22 and board temp of 25 - 27.

LA

OP
Aem

Aem

John LA said:
I would say that with a 30 ambient, 34 for the board is not too bad at all. Is the 55 temp with the Tornado at full speed?
Is it the 38mm thick tornado? If you look you should also see two sets of holes in HS that the fan mounting clips can go through. One set is higher than the other.
What HSF where you using before and what kind of temps did you get? 55 seems a bit high but with your room temp I would expect around 50 with a 34 board temp.
My 2.53 @ 3.08 runs 38-41 full load at room temp of 22 and board temp of 25 - 27.

LA

when i set the tornado on fullspeed the temp decreases around 3C but it is really loud and it is really thick i set it to minumum and i the put the clip on the higher hole i also have to take the grill out to fit the clip. i was using stock heatsink and my temps. was around 58C-64C. and the board temp. was 31C-32C.

John LA

Yes they are quite loud at full speed. Mine is typically running at 3400 RPM. A little loud but tolerable. A 9 degree drop from stock HSF is not too bad though. The only thing I can suggest is to make sure the HS is flat on the cpu and that your application of thermal grease is very thin. If you are using AS3 give it a couple of days to settle in and make sure you follow the directions on the AS site.

LA

CrazyP

its your ambient temp. when My motherboard is 34C, my cpu temps climbs as well. if your motherboard was 30C or under you would probably be 50C and under on the cpu. at least thats my experience. still, 55C isnt bad. My personal limit is 55C

BTW Im also running at 3.0 ghz with 1.75 vcore

OP
Aem

Aem

iam using the thermalcompound that came with the slk900 .and also how about the near side of the heatsink?it has some straches how can i make it smooth? and also what is the size of the clip you are using with 92mm tornado?

John LA

I am using the largest clip that came with the HS. I do not know what the dimensions of it are. I have it located in the upper set of holes in the HS.
If the scratches are on the side of the HS then I don't think you need to woory about them. The only scratches you need to worry about are any that are on the surface that contacts the CPU.

LA

OP
Aem

Aem

John LA said:
I am using the largest clip that came with the HS. I do not know what the dimensions of it are. I have it located in the upper set of holes in the HS.
If the scratches are on the side of the HS then I don't think you need to woory about them. The only scratches you need to worry about are any that are on the surface that contacts the CPU.

LA
the surface that contacts the cpu look nice.iam asking the dimensions of the clip because i tried really hard to fýt the fan and what installation type do you recommend for P4?

CrazyP

I use the bolts also, I take my whole computer to work with me, I have a job that allows me to do so, so the bolts are better for me. I used the largest clips. it was a little tight, but still easy to use. I think I got 3 sets of clips.

btw I prefer it to be tight rather than loose.

are you useing the bolts? I thought I read that you cant use a 92MM fan if you use the P4 retention clips, maybe thats why it was so tight for you

OP
Aem

Aem

ima using the bolts and also i noticed that the baord temp. increases about 3C when i set the cpu fan(tornado 92mm) to full speed.why is that?

josi

In general - by improving the airflow through the case, but do you really need it? Difference between your room and board temperature is only 4°C and it can be considered as good.