• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slow Bandwidth on 2kpro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Haagen

Registered
As of Sunday, my newer computer has been d/ling at 200ish kb/s instead of the typical 700 kb/s. Thinking it was my ISP, Charter Communications I didn't think much of it. However, my older computer that is on the same hub, was still able to d/l at 700kb/s.

I switched ports on the hub, yet I still recieved the same problem. I connected directly to the cable modem with my newer computer, same problem. I tried a shorter, different CAT5 cable, same problem. I release/renewed my IP numerous times. I have also uninstalled/reinstalled tcp/ip.

After doing these and still having no resolution I called tech support. They did what they could but we have determined that the problem is on my end, since my other computer is still d/ling at normal speeds.

Getting desperate, I deleted the partition on my harddrive and did a fresh install of Win2k Pro, and I STILL have the same problem. I also re-seated and relocated my network card.

The only possible explanation is the VIA drivers I downloaded sunday night. Could they have cause problems with my connection? How can I fix this?

Help is appreciated in advance.

System Specs:
Asus A7V33
AMD Athlon XP 1900+
256mb PC-2700 DDR Samsung
MSI G4 TI4400 300mhz/620mhz

If you need any other information, please let me know. I'm downloading (although slowly) the service pack updates as we speak.

it's not the VIA drivers, cuz as you have deleted and reinstalled Windows freshly, you deleted those. What OS is the other comp running ? try get the latest drivers for all your hardware, and update Windows with the latest of everything from Windows Update (it works for me sometimes, when I'm slow I go and download the latest patches, and it speeds it up as it was before the sudden slowdown)

Also, what hardware is the other comp using ? same thing or ... ?

The older computer is running win 98, p2 450 192mb ram... etc. It's not even comparable with my newer setup. I'm d/ling all of the windows updates right now...hopefully that will work. Although, I was up to date when the slow down happend.

be sure to clean up the temporary internet files, the temp folder and the History folder from time to time, as it gets cluttered and starts slowing down the entire computer after some time

www.speedguide.net download the registry patches/tweaks for 2k and your connection.. that could help a bit..

probably just your ISP being crappy....lord knows i am KING of bad ISP's currently i have BOTH dsl and cable, and i trade off depending which one is working better "at that moment" im a big gamer and pings mean everything...its fustrayting

on a side note, i know analog x was supposed to release a prog that would allow you to share both dsl and cable bandwidth --allthough this never happend...anyone know of a prog that will allow me to harness the power of both connections?

Back