• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slow boot in XP Pro SP1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jimmystoba

Registered
When I boot my PC, I get to the windows splash screen, then it stays there for about 45 secs before any hard drive activity. It then takes about another minute before Windows finishes loading.

I have an MSI KT4 Ultra mobo with Promise fasttrak 376 onboard RAID.
2 Samsung 80GB 7200rpm SATA HDD's setup as a RAID 0 array with 16k blocks. Formatted as FAT32.
A fresh install of Windows XP Pro, with service pack 1 installed.
Latest drivers for everything (RAID, chipset, etc.)
Latest BIOS.

It's driving me nuts. I've been searching forums and knowledge bases for about a fortnight and I'm still none the wiser. I've formatted and reinstalled windows more times than I care to remember.

If anyone can shed some light on the subject I'll be eternally endebted to them.

Thank's in advance. Jimmy

turd

Just to try and edit your boot.ini file and add a switch after the line..... /fastdetect

so it looks like this ..../fastdetect /SOS

and save it and reboot and see what you get.

That would be the first step.. I would guess that it is related to hardware. But it could be software related. Sometimes installing INF drivers over windows can slow it down.Have you checked your log files?

Rclick my computer\manage\event viewer
then check your application and system logs.

You could also do a safe mode boot and enable boot loging and see what fails or retries.

These are just some quick things i would check first, starting with the SOS switch

rUfUnKy

An unstabble OC can also cause slow boot times .. try resetting back to default. If that works then you can try readjusting mem timings, vcore, fsb, multies ect...

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
Also...this is awfully basic. But a fresh install of SP1 tends to really frag your disk, so if you haven't defragged lately, it'd be a good idea.

OP
jimmystoba

jimmystoba

Registered
Hey Guys,

Thank's for the quick response to my plight.

Turd, I tried your ideas starting with the " /sos" switch, all that did was give me a different screen at start up with windows and service pack info, but took just as long as the original boot, then flashed a screen saying something about a disk check being ok???
I've also looked at my app/sys logs but dont really know what I'm looking for. :(
Lastly I started in safe and enabled boot logging, that gave me the same screen as above but had "Boot logging enabled" written under the windows info.
Any more ideas?? Should I remove the " /sos" switch again? (what does it do btw?)

Redduc900, I checked the link but there was nothing that looked that close to my problem. :( Thanks anyway. :) Any more ideas?

Rufunky, I've been running that clock speed for over six months with no probs with my old IDE drive, but I'll go back to stock speed and let you know. Cheers.

Johan851, I defragged as soon as I'd finished installing the service pack/ drivers etc. plus I've not installed any more software yet (except winzip to unpack drivers etc.)

Thanks again guys any more info would be most welcome.

Jimmy.:confused:

UberBlue

Completely NUTS
Have you tried bootvis.exe? It provides a qraphical log of your boot and displays exactly what is loading and when. It could help you figure out what is taking so long. Just remember to turn it off, or it'll keep writing data to your hard disk untill it's full.

It's not available from Microsoft anymore, but a quick google turned it up here.

More info.

Last edited:

mayagrafix

I can recomend two things:

A) run MSCONFIG from the start>execute menu. There are a couple of paramementers there having to do with the amount of time Windoze waits before completing boot.

B) find and uncheck the network log on option. I kinda remember it is a advanced dialogue box under the properties of My PC but it is for taking off the choose user thing in the begining. This really cuts down the time you need to boot! nad you have full access to network (if you are only user)

And finally, I would recomend enabling Hybernate from the power options of the dialogue box when right clicking the desktop, where u set ur monitor pref etc.

Hybernate is real cool and takes a second to shutdow the PC and just as quick to power on.

Good luck, keep us posted!

Tebore

It could be trying to detect network settings. If you're using DSL and not cable or don't have a router try this:
1) Go to "Start" -> "Control Panel"
2) Click on "Network & Internet Connections"
3) Click on "Network Connections"
4) Right click on the icon for your Ethernet card connected to your DSL modem _> Choose "Properties"
5) Click on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) -> Click "Properties"
6) In the "General" tab check off "Use the following IP address"
7) Type in 192.168.0.15
8) Enter a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
9) Click "OK"
10) Click "OK"

turd

Lots of good advice

What I was talking about for checking your logs in the event viewer

Right click on the application log and click on clear all events
same thing for the system log. Then re -boot and see what you get. Those logs should be very few and clear. If there is a problem you will see it with a red or yellow warning. I would suspect your problem is in those logs. Post if you see any red or yellow.

For the safe mode and bootlog.txt (bootlogging)
Just search for bootlog.txt after the bootlog boot. Look through it and see if it list your fails. You should see a few srtrings failing for a long hang.

SOS will just show all the drivers as they load, that would give you a clear pause at a driver hang. You can get rid of that if you want. If you did not see your big pause at that screen it is doing you no good.

You can also check your device manager and see if you have any yellow noted devices to see if there is an error there.

Another thing that board takes VIA 4in1s ? Cause sometimes those dont play nice with windows and its best to just to let XP have its own chipset drivers. I dont know about that board though. Are you sure that your drives are jumped properly, I think its both master for that RAID.

Just throwing some things out, those hangs are hard to catch witout hands on and real hard if an format/install dosent fix it.
Check all the other thing suggested its all good advice.

Lancelot

You have a 160GB RAID-array, right?! I hope you didn't format that as a single patition cuz Windows has a problem with partitions of over 138GB. It can detect and use them with SP1 but that might just be causing your startup delay. If that's the case get partitionmagic and resize your OS partition to like 20GB and keep the rest for storage!

OP
jimmystoba

jimmystoba

Registered
I've just tried a "Boot to command prompt" in safe mode, I see a long list of drivers then it hangs at one called "MUP.SYS" for about 45-60 secs before carrying on. Any ideas??

Just a little more info about my system.
I am connected to a router.
I've tried an install with just one of the 80GB drives connected.

Jimmy.:cry:

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
When the system hangs on the Mup.sys driver, it's normally caused by a corrupted Registry, resulting from an unstable OC. The following MSKB article explains how to recover from a corrupted Registry...

How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from starting...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q307545

It could also be caused by a particular PCI card, like a USB 2.0 card for example. You may want to try removing all your PCI cards and reinstalling them one by one to see if the problem resurfaces. A repair install of XP might be something else to consider, or running the System FIle Checker from the command prompt within Windows.

OP
jimmystoba

jimmystoba

Registered
Hey Guys, Here's the bootlog from my last start up. Hope someone can help me out.

Service Pack 112 18 2003 10:21:40.500
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\hal.dll
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\KDCOM.DLL
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\BOOTVID.dll
Loaded driver ACPI.sys
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\WMILIB.SYS
Loaded driver pci.sys
Loaded driver isapnp.sys
Loaded driver viaidexp.sys
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\PCIIDEX.SYS
Loaded driver MountMgr.sys
Loaded driver ftdisk.sys
Loaded driver dmload.sys
Loaded driver dmio.sys
Loaded driver PartMgr.sys
Loaded driver VolSnap.sys
Loaded driver atapi.sys
Loaded driver fasttx2k.sys
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\drivers\SCSIPORT.SYS
Loaded driver disk.sys
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\CLASSPNP.SYS
Loaded driver sr.sys
Loaded driver Fastfat.sys
Loaded driver KSecDD.sys
Loaded driver NDIS.sys
Loaded driver viaagp1.sys
Loaded driver Mup.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\processr.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\nv4_mini.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\FA31XND5.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\cmaudio.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\usbuhci.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\usbehci.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\i8042prt.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\mouclass.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\kbdclass.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\fdc.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\serial.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\serenum.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\parport.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Imapi.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\audstub.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\rasl2tp.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\ndistapi.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\ndiswan.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\raspppoe.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\raspptp.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\msgpc.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\psched.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\ptilink.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\raspti.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\rdpdr.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\termdd.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\swenum.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\update.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\NDProxy.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\NDProxy.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\usbhub.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\flpydisk.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\lbrtfdc.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Sfloppy.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\i2omgmt.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Changer.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Cdaudio.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Fs_Rec.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Null.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Beep.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\VIAPFD.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\vga.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\mnmdd.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\RDPCDD.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Msfs.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Npfs.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\rasacd.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\ipsec.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\tcpip.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\netbt.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\netbios.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\PCIDump.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\rdbss.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\mrxsmb.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\wanarp.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Fips.SYS
Loaded driver Fastfat.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Cdfs.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\afd.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\ndisuio.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\afd.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\rdbss.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\mrxsmb.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\wdmaud.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\sysaudio.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\splitter.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\aec.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\swmidi.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\DMusic.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\kmixer.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\drmkaud.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\mrxdav.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\ParVdm.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\srv.sys

Thank's again, Jimmy.

turd

Jimmy, that all looks normal, what your not loading you shouldnt be. If you did not get any hang during the SOS load and no errors in you event logs. Ist try a boot at default BIOS with everything your not using disabled like USB boot and serial ports, and check onboard vidio or sound, do u have them, are the properly configured (like disabled if add in used)? I have seen a mouse hang a boot but that usually shows in the SOS boot.

Check your IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers in the device manager and see that each channel is configured to none for the not used ones and DMA if available for the CD drive.

Then if that is no cure I would go and clear all the hardware from your system. Go down to just vid, mouse, RAID,KB, boot and go to the device manager and make sure that everything that you dont have is removed / uninstalled and boot and see if you still get the hang.

If you get your hang there I would rule out the RAID by (and this is a pain) going with another non raided disk and installing your OS and if no hang start adding everything again 1 at a time while you remain hang free.

If you did get hang free with your RAID start adding one piece at a time untill you hang.

If no results start with a fresh format and minimum system (RAID, vid CD,KB,M) install OS , add software and devices one at a time and log all changes. Boot between adding devices and those ddevice drivers, if any.

If you get that hang at the first boot after the clean OS install, start swapping parts one at a time beginning with the CD and then the IDE cables, memory, etc. I would suspect something with the IDE cables or the CDR.

Its pain but this is just how I would start. Also re-read the other posts, any advice from redduce is not to be taken lightly and I think lancalot mentioned something about arrary sice as well as others.

Hope this makes sense

glock19owner

start...run...type in "msconfig"...and go to start up...uncheck anything that does not need to boot up when starting the computer...such as yahoo, aohell and other non essential programs...this will help your boot time...and bootvis does not help honestly...it is made for shutting the system down faster...and there is a reg hack that you can change so your system doesnt take 20+ seconds to shut down...

Here is a nice tweak site for windows XP...will give you some good tweaks for booting up and shutting XP down faster and about everything else you can think of...

tweakxp.com (this site has nothing to do with the tweak xp program)

Doing as turd said and applying the things I mentioned should help out...if it is not a HD issue...and just a XP issue...