• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

slow down

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hardass

I have noticed that when i am folding and i start seti that my folding slows waaaay down anybody else

WillysNut

Senior Jeep Nut
I would have to assume that if your running two different clients, your cpu cycles would be divided between the two programs and any other apps running. Both programs demand as much cpu resource as is available. I believe you could set Folding and/or seti to be of a higher priority if you're running Win2K, but I'm not currently using both programs (shame on me :)) so I'm not sure how to setup priority between the two.

OP
Hardass

Hardass

Seti cranks where folding takes a long time to do 1 wu almost stops

WillysNut

Senior Jeep Nut
What operating system? Have you checked the resource manager in Win98, 2K, whatever, to see what percentage of cpu cycles are being used by the two programs? Sounds like Seti is somehow hogging more cycles. :D

Ploaf

This is a problem with the folding client. Not so much a problem really but it's a matter of the idle priority. The priority for the Folding client is set at a lower idle priority than the seti client.

This was the situation when it started then they upped it to a higher idle priority(4?) for a short while and that allowed it to work side by side with seti, but it is back down to idle 1 I think. To make matters worse this priority was set in a sub thread that is responisble for all the work and even when you try to change to priority in the windows task manager it wouldn't change.

I am not 100% sure that this is what happened, but it's been a problem in the past. I thought it went away but it appears that it hasn't.

OP
Hardass

Hardass

well what it means is seti is losing out on my sys because folding to me is more important so seti gets shut down in both comp.

plague

hardass said:
well what it means is seti is losing out on my sys because folding to me is more important so seti gets shut down in both comp.
good thinking :beer: