• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slow Transfer rates SSD to SSD over SATA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
And this is why I use Explorer to copy all the time :)
Now it's just troubleshooting what the issue with TeraCopy is...

I don't know if I care that much to be honest. I'm about to leave from work so I'll play with it at home in a bit, but I'm just plain disappointed in TeraCopy at this point. I can only wonder how many times I have had slow file transfers in the past and shrugged it off only for it to be the program and not the hardware.

FWIW, Windows 10 has the pause/play functionality you mentioned built in to Explorer.

I attempted to upgrade to Windows 10 to check it out back in April IIRC. It bricked my installation of Windows. Couldn't recover, couldn't repair my 7 install... it was just completely fubar. I'm not that torn up over losing the pause functionality. I honestly don't do as much moving of files as I used to. TeraCopy was just nice to have.

I'm not ready to dive into Windows 10 yet. It is causing me more headaches at work and at my own business than it has relieved so I personally do not want to be dealing with them on my own home front. Windows 7 has served me extremely well and has been incredibly stable for everything I do.

I attempted to upgrade to Windows 10 to check it out back in April IIRC. It bricked my installation of Windows. Couldn't recover, couldn't repair my 7 install... it was just completely fubar. I'm not that torn up over losing the pause functionality. I honestly don't do as much moving of files as I used to. TeraCopy was just nice to have.

I'm not ready to dive into Windows 10 yet. It is causing me more headaches at work and at my own business than it has relieved so I personally do not want to be dealing with them on my own home front. Windows 7 has served me extremely well and has been incredibly stable for everything I do.

Should you choose to nuke Win7 to reinstall it, Secure Erase the SSD before. Might help restore some preformance.

Any chance your Virus protection is running a scan before proceeding with the paste function?

I was looking to see if anyone had mentioned that. I'm wondering if it is possible that some AV S/W is trying to scan the new files as they are copied.

The other thing I see is that drives are relatively full. SSDs can operate faster if there is empty space. Unlike an HDD, once sectors on the SSD are written, they have to be erased before they can be written again. On a drive with a lot of free space there is usually adequate erased space available. As a drive fills up this effect can slow things down. But I suppose the target drive starts out with adequate free space. If there are a lot of files - particularly small files - the drive can experience write amplification. If a file (or directory entry) smaller than the SSD's block size is written, the entire block has to be erased and rewritten along with the new data.

Should you choose to nuke Win7 to reinstall it, Secure Erase the SSD before. Might help restore some preformance.

I might do this if I can't source the problem directly. I'd like to know what is actually causing the issue first, just need to find time to sit down and investigate some more.

I was looking to see if anyone had mentioned that. I'm wondering if it is possible that some AV S/W is trying to scan the new files as they are copied.

The other thing I see is that drives are relatively full. SSDs can operate faster if there is empty space. Unlike an HDD, once sectors on the SSD are written, they have to be erased before they can be written again. On a drive with a lot of free space there is usually adequate erased space available. As a drive fills up this effect can slow things down. But I suppose the target drive starts out with adequate free space. If there are a lot of files - particularly small files - the drive can experience write amplification. If a file (or directory entry) smaller than the SSD's block size is written, the entire block has to be erased and rewritten along with the new data.

I'm not running any active anti-virus. I scan with Hitman Pro every once in a while just be sure. If I feel something is wrong I'll run multiple scanners as I see fit.

I was afraid that a lack of free space was causing the massive slow downs, but even once the space was freed the transfers were still slow moving from the OCZ to the Intel when using TeraCopy. Disabling TeraCopy for whatever reason and using the Windows explorer solved the issue. Now file transfers are back to their normal rates (300-450MB/s).

I don't have an answer as to why yet. It's seems odd that it only affects transfers only one way between two specific drives. In this case inbound on the Intel from the OCZ. I assume it's just the version of the program. I will download a different version tomorrow and try that just to see if that was the case. I am curious as to what may actually be the issue and am going to find more confirmation on what it is.

I was afraid that a lack of free space was causing the massive slow downs, but even once the space was freed the transfers were still slow moving from the OCZ to the Intel when using TeraCopy. Disabling TeraCopy for whatever reason and using the Windows explorer solved the issue. Now file transfers are back to their normal rates (300-450MB/s).
You freed up a bunch of space on the Intel drive and then copied files to that? Perhaps the free space had not yet been erased. Has anyone mentioned TRIM in this thread? That's a way for Windows to tell the drive that disk blocks are no longer in use and can be erased to prepare for the next write. I've heard that it is no longer needed for modern SSDs but I don't know how the drive controller would know a block is no longer in use. I suppose it would depend on the SSD controller understanding the filesystem that the OS is using.

I don't have an answer as to why yet. It's seems odd that it only affects transfers only one way between two specific drives. In this case inbound on the Intel from the OCZ. I assume it's just the version of the program. I will download a different version tomorrow and try that just to see if that was the case. I am curious as to what may actually be the issue and am going to find more confirmation on what it is.
Is it possible that the Intel drive controller sacrifices highest potential speed to gain better 'real world' performance? Maybe it does a better job of detecting and erasing unused blocks.

Glad to hear that you're making progress on this.

TRIM should be enabled by default in 7 ;)
It's XP and lower where one needs to worry about TRIM.

Also worth noting, the more full and SSD gets the slower it generally becomes. Though, it should never drop to 2Mb/s slow mind you...

You freed up a bunch of space on the Intel drive and then copied files to that? Perhaps the free space had not yet been erased. Has anyone mentioned TRIM in this thread? That's a way for Windows to tell the drive that disk blocks are no longer in use and can be erased to prepare for the next write. I've heard that it is no longer needed for modern SSDs but I don't know how the drive controller would know a block is no longer in use. I suppose it would depend on the SSD controller understanding the filesystem that the OS is using.

Is it possible that the Intel drive controller sacrifices highest potential speed to gain better 'real world' performance? Maybe it does a better job of detecting and erasing unused blocks.

Glad to hear that you're making progress on this.

Thanks! I don't think this is the case though. Moving/Copying files works flawlessly when done from the Intel drive to all other drives. It works flawlessly as well writing to the Intel from my WD 4TB drive. However, for whatever reason moving/copying from the OCZ to the Intel has an issue ONLY when using TeraCopy. I've installed several versions and a beta version of TeraCopy and every single version duplicates the issue. So it's back to using the explorer for me.

I understand the more full the drive is that speed decreases, but as Pharaoh said the drive should never be 2MB/s slow.

I'm certain TRIM is working or I would have run into other issues by now. I load both of these SSDs to the brim every few months before clearing them entirely - TeraCopy just wanted to bust my balls this time around. I don't think I have any hardware issues as far as I can tell. I can move/copy a bunch of small files or one large file no problem using Windows Explorer, I'm even hitting higher rates than I've seen in a while since I've cut TeraCopy out of the equation.

Back