• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slow transfers on wireless lan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xtreme404

Hey guys, here is the setup. Two windows 2000 machines with SP3. Using a dlink air plus wireless router. Both computers also using a linksys wireless usb adapter. I was trying to transfer roughly 450mb file and it said that is was going to take like an hour or so to do it. When I had my wired lan it could do that in like 5 minutes or less. Whats the deal here, anyone have any ideas as to what I can try or look at.

Thanks!!!

itshouldnt take that long, but it will take longer than wired regardless.

ethernet=100Mbps

802.11B=11Mbps

even the fastest 802.11g is like 44Mbps i think

your right, man do I feel stupid. I should have figured that one out myself.

Thanks again

you can buy, im cant reemember what its called but it has turbo, which allows you to transfer at 72mbps.

What kind of link quality are you getting, having 25-50% link quality can impact performance.

72mbps?? Even the new 802.11g standard is only 54mbit, where did you hear about this?

Smokeys said:
What kind of link quality are you getting, having 25-50% link quality can impact performance.

72mbps?? Even the new 802.11g standard is only 54mbit, where did you hear about this?

its a button the linksys wireless products... lemme see if i cant find a link for you.

http://linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=452 , read under features on the left. Other companys do it too.... SMC and a few others....

only on 811.02a

"Up to 72 Mbps Turbo Mode (with Linksys 802.11a products only)"

Smokeys said:

atm they arent going for speed, but security...

wireless to wireless through an AP will be horribly slow, you can double your speeds if you need to transfer a file by seting up a ad-hoc connection to transfer the file then change back to infastructure.

Back