• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

small problem running folding on 98 box

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

demon-eater

okay i just istalled windows 98 and setup a new computer the other day, last night i got it all networked. Installed folding on the 98 box worked fine then after installing some stuff and a few restarts later whenver i try to open up the client (graphical) it crashes... but if i just leave it in the tray it appears to "run".

I don't realy need to see how far i am on a work unit cause this machine is really just a dedicated folder for the most part, and it appears to be running by reading the log file its started on a 210p

but its just weird that this is happening

btw i created a name for this box just to see how much it will turn out in a day its name is cyrix

NASsoccer

On a string I was held Senior
demon-eater said:
okay i just istalled windows 98 and setup a new computer the other day, last night i got it all networked. Installed folding on the 98 box worked fine then after installing some stuff and a few restarts later whenver i try to open up the client (graphical) it crashes... but if i just leave it in the tray it appears to "run".

I don't realy need to see how far i am on a work unit cause this machine is really just a dedicated folder for the most part, and it appears to be running by reading the log file its started on a 210p

but its just weird that this is happening

btw i created a name for this box just to see how much it will turn out in a day its name is cyrix

was it loaded before any new video drivers? often these cause the client to crach a lot! does it give an error in the log when it crashes? does windows give an error?

IT if is a dedicated rig then i would say ditch the GUI client and go afer the console client, and put em3 on the machine to watch your points and hide whatnot!

FOLD ON
NAS

OP
demon-eater

demon-eater

yeah it was installed before the proper video drivers were... but since then ive uninstalled folding and then reinstalled it....

i could use the console client i guess but i can never get it to start up with windows...well i never tried to fix that though

NASsoccer

On a string I was held Senior
demon-eater said:
yeah it was installed before the proper video drivers were... but since then ive uninstalled folding and then reinstalled it....

i could use the console client i guess but i can never get it to start up with windows...well i never tried to fix that though

i have just found that the GUI can be fickle with video drivers, like right now it will not run on the machine i am on, it will crash.

Drop a shortcut in the startup folder and it should start right up! OR if you wish, you could have scheduled task launch it for you when your computer starts.

FOLD ON
NAS

silent bob

Team 32 Folding Ghetto Hanging PC Senior
I have found with putting it in Scheduled Task , you can set it up (if on LAN) to start when computer starts and since you are on a network just dont log onto windows and it will run and everything . all I see when I look at dedicated folder is my log on screen and my console window ,nothing else , I think it runs faster without all the crap in the tray hogging up my resources, just a thought if you have an "always on" connection