• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Small question about file naming.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drexel

I used to be able to change names of files, but something has changed, and I dont know how to fix it. When I try to rename something it says"if you change a filename extension, the file may become unusable". Not, "may be unsusable". How about WILL be unusable. Anyone know how to fix it?

I dont think you read my post. It IS messing my files up, and it used to not even bring up the warning. NowI cant rename anything without getting the warning, and everytime I try to rename the file, the file I rename doesnt work any longer.

Did you previously have "hide extensions for known filetypes" enabled? That way you can't accidentally alter the extensions when renaming (for example .doc, .mp3, etc.). When you can see the extensions, and rename the file, without taking care that the extension doesn't change, it will rename your file to a name without an extenstion. "Queen_Innuendo.mp3" could become "Innuendo" without the extension. Windows doesn't understand hat kind of file it is anymore, and therefore can't open it. The icon of the file will alter to a standard windows flag, instead of the icon it had before. To make your files work again, just put the appropriate extensioon behind its name again.

Ok, thanks. I can also go in,and check,or uncheck that box that says hide file extensions? I think I saw one.

EDIT Nice, It worked, thanks.

Back