• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Smallest mITX case for OC 6700K with GTX 1080?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm only buying an mITX to play games while staying in hotels and apartments when being abroad for months during the winter, so I'll be happy with one screen at 1080p, max 24', but more likely 20'. I would have bought a laptop if I was not going to use the mITX at home with the Asus 27" LED G-Sync ROG SWIFT PG278Q (1440/144hz).

I'm totally allergic to microstuttering, so actually rather play on a 1080 res than a 4k screen with stuttering. (In this case if you have the funds for the 1080 then that's the route I would go. For 1080p the GTX1070 would be way more than enough but since you'll also be gaming at 1440/144hz then just get the GTX1080)

My store has both the Node 202 and the Gigabyte 1070 Mini ITX OC. Will this smaller GPU work inside the Node, with a 6700k, despite the lack of airflow fans? Just asking because the Silverstone is out of stock in Norway now, and I prefer a slim case when downgrading to a 1070. (There's really no way to know for sure until someone tries it. I don't know of anyone that has this combo but will do some looking around. I would still be leery of the airflow in that case regardless of what GPU you go with.)

The Node 202 seems to work well with the 1070 and 6700:

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/vG7hP6 (It will certainly fit. Try and find some reports of temps under load.
)

Though nice to get a second opinion from the pros in this forum here :)

Read that 1080 and 1070 are too wide for the Air 240 (makes we wonder what Corsair was thinking about when not making the 240 just a few mm wider, but guess they didn't know what Nvidia would do in the future). (This is not true Here is a build in an Air 240 using the GTX 1080. )

And what PSU is good for a slim case? How much watt is necessary to run a 1070 and the 6700k without OC? (You will need an SFX PSU for that case. There is one included but they are generally not considered quality units. I use OuterVision's calculator to determine how much PSU to get.)

This guy has nice temps with the Node 202, 6700 and 1080:

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/T9f8TW

But he uses a blow dryer style GPU, the MSI Aero, which I read is not that good, and noisy, right? And his CPU is a 3.4ghz, while I will run a stock 4.0ghz 6700, so not sure about the heat impact then.

Will probably change to a larger case when not travelling during the summer season.

Take a look at the heat "cracks" on the Air 240 with a 1080 here:

http://forums.evga.com/m/tm.aspx?m=2485797&p=1

"Update, I got the right angle 8pin cables and A LOT less pressure on the card/mobo form the side panel. Not 100% as it still lays on it but will work for now. I may be going for a new case for sli. The extra depth form the extra wires coming from the dual 8pin cable was just a little too much that heat just spidered cracked it."

I agree you'll want a blower-style GPU in that case. But there are non-founders edition blower models from Asus and MSI that will be cheaper. Reviews indicate you will have to stand it vertically for minimally adequate GPU cooling. As far as the PSU is concerned, a Silverstone 450W or 500W SFX is plenty as the 1070 is pretty power efficient.

But I personally would get a case with at least one 120mm fan. The relatively small (170mm W, 277mm H, 252mm D) Lan-Li PC-TU100/ would work with the Gigabyte 1070 Mini ITX OC.

There us also the EVGA hadron. I like mine. 2 top 120mm fans, comes with 500w evga gold PSU and can hold 2 3.5/2.5 drives. Mines running 24/7 folding on a reference style 7970

I agree you'll want a blower-style GPU in that case. But there are non-founders edition blower models from Asus and MSI that will be cheaper. Reviews indicate you will have to stand it vertically for minimally adequate GPU cooling. As far as the PSU is concerned, a Silverstone 450W or 500W SFX is plenty as the 1070 is pretty power efficient.

But I personally would get a case with at least one 120mm fan. The relatively small (170mm W, 277mm H, 252mm D) Lan-Li PC-TU100/ would work with the Gigabyte 1070 Mini ITX OC.
THey are still FE/Reference PCB, just with their blower on it. :)

Somehow I can't see it work in really tight case like 202 without additional issues. Also check parts specification. Noctua cooler can't work with processors at more than 65W TDP. 6600K without OC is getting hot, not to mention 6700/6700K. Other thing is that all that stuff will be noisy. Maybe it's not a problem for you but for me it's really annoying and I wouldn't build any gaming PC in ITX case designed for lower TDP components. Best if next to the graphics card is at least 1-2 pci slot space so card has some air ( perfect is mATX space ). Not many cases provide good airflow on the fan side and cards run really hot. Something like Aerocool DS Cube is optimal for higher performance smaller build but it's not really small case ( it's mATX ). Also many other mATX cases are not much smaller than mid tower ATX.

I was testing couple of cases like Bitfenix Prodigy and in ITX version cards are noisy. Even GTX960 ITX was getting hot in these small cases.

If you want small CPU cooler then the best performing is probably Cryorig C7.
From graphics cards get GTX1070 ITX from any manufacturer. GTX1080 generates more heat and you won't really need that additional power in games at 1080p. It's better to move to new graphics in 1-2 years than spend additional money on something that you won't really use.

Antisthenis, yes the blower style coolers are louder than the more traditional dual or triple fan coolers, but the benefit to these is all the heat generated from the GPU is blown outside the case. The non-blower style coolers just blow the heat up the case. In the Node 202 there isn't even a vent located above the GPU. IMO that's a major design flaw.

I also agree with the Dave, Jaymz, E_D & Woomack, though I think the Hadron is a bit bigger than what you're looking for, it's probably a better case. The Aerocool DS would be a perfect fit. It's mATX but still very compact if you can find one in your area.

Edited to include Woomack's info.

Thanks for helpful information! I always wear the Bose noise-cancelling headset when gaming, so I guess noise from the blower style GPU will not make so much noise that even this headset is not sufficient? My store has the Corsair SF600, a SFX psu. Is that overkill in the Node 202?

I keep mentioning the Node only because there are not many slim cases in the stores I have seen so far here in Norway, but will keep looking.

I know a little about gaming rigs but not sure what TDP means here:

"Noctua cooler can't work with processors at more than 65W TDP."

TDP is Thermal Dynamic Power. It essentially means watts but it's not a direct translation.

EDIT: A Watt is a hard number. If you said a CPU is 65W then that would imply it would always be 65W regardless of voltage. Obviously this is inaccurate so TDP is used as it is variable. What's important is you want a heatsink with a high enough TDP rating to dissipate the TDP of the CPU.

Any chance you'll make it to Denmark or the UK while traveling? I know the shopping is much easier there.

That's actually a good suggestion. Will do that if I don't find the right case here in Norway. I guess some online stores here have a good case, but the problem is that I don't trust the postal service after it messed up computer parts I ordered a few years ago. And services like DHL are really expensive here. Perhaps I'll just take the Node now and change when I arrive in a country with a good store. The Air 240 is also available, but the cracks shown in the link above are not that encouraging.

I'd avoid the Node 202 for all the reasons given above. Give your postal service another chance and order something else.

My store got this slim case now:

In Win BP671 Mini-ITX. "An ultra silent 80mm case fan with Intel Thermally Advantaged Small Chassis 1.0 vents help to improve the airflow and optimize thermal performance, keeping temperatures below 39°C."

Also considering this with a Gigabyte 1070 Mini ITX OC: Cooler Master Elite 110 Mini-ITX. Any good?

My store got this slim case now:

In Win BP671 Mini-ITX. "An ultra silent 80mm case fan with Intel Thermally Advantaged Small Chassis 1.0 vents help to improve the airflow and optimize thermal performance, keeping temperatures below 39°C." (This wont work for your application. It only has a single low profile slot. The 1070 Mini is a dual slot card.)

Also considering this with a Gigabyte 1070 Mini ITX OC: Cooler Master Elite 110 Mini-ITX. Any good? (This is actually a very good option. Something to look into is if the Gigabyte 1070 Mini ITX OC is a low profile card or standard height. From a quick search it looks to be standard which is what this case takes but do some more research just to verify. Also if you wanted to stick with a full size (length) card you might be able to go with the Elite 120 or 130. Would give you more room for your cabling too. I would also recommend a short modular (semi or full) PSU to help with this.)

Gigabyte 1070 Mini ITX OC Card size: W=37mm, L=169mm, H=131 mm. So its a pretty standard 5.16 inch high full height card.

Cooler Master Elite 110 Mini-ITX: Supports graphic card length up to 210mm.

So the combo will work. It takes a PSU up to 180mm long, and as Blaylock suggested, a modular PSU is best. It also takes a 120mm radiator for water cooling the CPU.

No. It has a single PCIe expansion slot. The 1080 & 1070's are all dual slot cards as far as I know.

Back