• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Smoothvision messes up empire earth.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BigRed

Caffinated Member
Not sure if this goes in video or games so i just plopped it here :p
I ran into an odd problem today, i turned on smoothvision (after i noticed it was off) and i tried playing empire earth but the screen is all messed up. i can scroll and stuff (i can tell im scrolling by the box on the minimap) but the main screen seems like its frozen. i just turn smoothvision off and now it runs fine. anyone else with a 8500 have this problem? :confused:

Dissolved said:
buy a gf4 ti4600. then you wont have ATI problems :)
its not a problem, you just turn off smoothvision.
the gf4 is too expensive and not all that much faster than my current card so its not worth it. if anyone has that much money to burn just send it to me :D

BigRed said:

its not a problem, you just turn off smoothvision.
the gf4 is too expensive and not all that much faster than my current card so its not worth it. if anyone has that much money to burn just send it to me :D

faster is faster... Dont get jealous Nvidia in on top again :p
W00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Last edited:
what about a complete reinstall of the card. Clean out the drivers and install it all again with the latest drivers and see how it goes.

Dissolved said:
Did someone say trashcan? :D

he asked for help on the CURRENT card in his system....he said nothing about buying a new video card....also why would he upgrade a card that already plays any games out there maxed out at high speeds? i see no reason for it

funnyperson1 said:

he asked for help on the CURRENT card in his system....he said nothing about buying a new video card....also why would he upgrade a card that already plays any games out there maxed out at high speeds? i see no reason for it

its a joke, i know bigred pretty well..
Im joke around alot on here, ppl Need to relize when im joking instead of thinking bad about me..
well nvidia is the best heh w00000000000000 again :beer:

The only thing that causes it is smoothvision. i have tried several different drivers and a couple fresh windows installs but its the same thing.
Its probably an issue with the game. (and yes i have updated the game, still the same)

BigRed said:
The only thing that causes it is smoothvision. i have tried several different drivers and a couple fresh windows installs but its the same thing.

huh, have you talked to any other ati owners or heard from any that have had this prob. Maybe it is a wider spread thing that just your card or maybe it is just the empire earth game. Have you contacted ATI to see what they have to say about this?

NASsoccer said:

huh, have you talked to any other ati owners or heard from any that have had this prob. Maybe it is a wider spread thing that just your card or maybe it is just the empire earth game. Have you contacted ATI to see what they have to say about this?

Or have you checked the game's website to see if they have a FAQ or something that lists that issue?

Dissolved said:

its a joke, i know bigred pretty well..
Im joke around alot on here, ppl Need to relize when im joking instead of thinking bad about me..
well nvidia is the best heh w00000000000000 again :beer:

No, you need to make it clear when you're joking. Frankly you were being an @$$. You hijacked a thread requesting information and tried to turn it into a debate about Nvidia vs ATI. You may have intended it as a joke. BigRed may even have interpreted it as a joke. But you made your comments in a public forum without any indication that they were meant as a strictly private communication. If you want to debate, then take it to PM or Debates. At the very least, make it clear when you're joking. Failing to do so contributes to an antagonistic rather than helpful atmospher.

When you act in a public arena, you are responsible for making sure that everyone has a reasonable chance of interpreting your actions the way you intended them. If you can't do that, then you need to move it to someplace private.

nihili

chill out nihili
altho you dont know me, i talk with the mods, and i do know bigred.. joking is joking, well all joke around in our own ways..
This is suppose to be a lose happy fun forums. And you should call me those names seeing you dont know me.
ive always though you were a nice and cool man, but that wasnt cool.
have a few :beer: :beer: :beer: and chill out man..
peace

Dissolved said:
chill out nihili
altho you dont know me, i talk with the mods, and i do know bigred.. joking is joking, well all joke around in our own ways..
This is suppose to be a lose happy fun forums. And you should call me those names seeing you dont know me.
ive always though you were a nice and cool man, but that wasnt cool.
have a few :beer: :beer: :beer: and chill out man..
peace

To be clear. I didn't call you any names. I said you were being an @$$ not that you are one. I can judge your actions without knowing you, your actions were out of line.

This is in fact supposed to be a loose happy fun forum. That's why I'm calling you on your actions. They contribute to an atmosphere of hostility, not to one of congeniality and helpfulness. I don't find that "cool".

When you act in public, you are responsible for the reasonable public perception of your actions. You fouled up this time. That's not a judgement of you as a person, it's a judgement of your behavior in this particular thread.

Having said my piece, and clarified it, I'm bowing out of further public discussion of the issue. Feel free to PM me if you wish.

nihili

well ok d00d..
i dont see what was So darn bad of me.. but whatever man, if you dont like me then block me.
Everyone else gets to joke around with there friends, so i dont see why i cant.
Peace

nihili said:

To be clear. I didn't call you any names. I said you were being an @$$ not that you are one. I can judge your actions without knowing you, your actions were out of line.

This is in fact supposed to be a loose happy fun forum. That's why I'm calling you on your actions. They contribute to an atmosphere of hostility, not to one of congeniality and helpfulness. I don't find that "cool".

When you act in public, you are responsible for the reasonable public perception of your actions. You fouled up this time. That's not a judgement of you as a person, it's a judgement of your behavior in this particular thread.

Having said my piece, and clarified it, I'm bowing out of further public discussion of the issue. Feel free to PM me if you wish.

nihili
Ive just given up and learned to ignore him on the forums over time :p

I submitted a problem report to ATI about this, now i guess ill just wait to see what they say about this.

Back