• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SMP Core Shutdown Error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Giz

Has anyone seen this shutdown message before? It's happened twice in the last 12 hours.
[20:17:00] [email protected] Core Shutdown: INTERRUPTED
[20:17:04] CoreStatus = 66 (102)
[20:17:04] + Shutdown requested by user. Exiting.***** Got a SIGTERM signal (15)
[20:17:04] Killing all core threads

Shutdown requested by user?

My other PC has ran for the last 48 hours since VMplayer install without any issues at all. This PC needs constant checking even though the installs are the same. The VMplayer network connection keeps dropping too, but this is something else?

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Sigterm 15 is a the default kill command for processes. Something is telling the process to shutdown - sounds like you have some sort of instability. Are you familiar with Linux at all?

I'd start checking out some log files. Let me know what you get from the command "ls /var/log/" when run from the terminal, and I'll tell you which ones to look at for errors.

OP
Giz

Giz

Thanks for the reply, I.M.O.G.

I'm new to Linux, only installed VMplayer and Ubuntu the other day. Opened the terminal and this is what your comand gave:

Linux.jpg

If you can't see the text very clear it's:

Code:
 [email protected]:~$ ls /var/log/
apparmor       dmesg.0         kern.log.1.gz  syslog.1.gz
apt            dmesg.1.gz      lastlog        syslog.2.gz
auth.log       dmesg.2.gz      lpr.log        udev
auth.log.0     dmesg.3.gz      mail.err       unattended-upgrades
boot           dmesg.4.gz      mail.info      user.log
bootstrap.log  dpkg.log        mail.log       user.log.0
btmp           faillog         mail.warn      wpa_supplicant.log
ConsoleKit     fontconfig.log  messages       wpa_supplicant.log.1.gz
cups           fsck            messages.0     wpa_supplicant.log.2.gz
daemon.log     gdm             messages.1.gz  wtmp
daemon.log.0   installer       news           Xorg.0.log
debug          jockey.log      pycentral.log  Xorg.0.log.old
debug.0        jockey.log.1    samba
dist-upgrade   kern.log        syslog
dmesg          kern.log.0      syslog.0
[email protected]:~$

OP
Giz

Giz

Yes Jolly, using IPv4. There are two network adapters showing in Vista Network Center. VMnet1 and VMnet8. Both are active. In Status, both show IPv4 as Local and IPv6 as Limited.

Something else that's bugging me. How to install VMware Tools. It's ready to install, but the bottom message box is telling me to open a terminal window and use Tar to extract the installer. How do you use Tar in the terminal window?

Also, in the terminal window showing SMP work, is this message important?
NOTE: The tpr file used for this simulation is in an old format, for less memory usage and possibly more performance create a new tpr file with an up to date version of grompp

Last edited:

Jolly-Swagman

You can just hit install and will put CD icon on VM desktop and install from there or in VM options have install at next time you run VM

The quoted error ,,, Dont worry about that is old and not used any more just disregard

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
I'm not familiar with folding in vmware player, so I can't speak as specifically as someone else probably can.

However, you need to run these commands as root, or by using the sudo command, to follow the directions for using "tar" (tar is like zip, just a different format):

Code:
4.	Untar the VMware Tools tar file:

tar zxpf /mnt/cdrom/VMwareTools-5.0.0-<xxxx>.tar.gz

umount /dev/cdrom

Where <xxxx> is the build/revision number of the VMware Workstation release.

Note: If you attempt to install a tar installation over an rpm installation — or the reverse — the installer detects the previous installation and must convert the installer database format before continuing.

5.	Run the VMware Tools tar installer:

cd vmware-tools-distrib

./vmware-install.pl

Respond to the configuration questions on the screen. Press Enter to accept the default value.