• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SMP Divx

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NewbiePerson

Ok, I read how it's nice to be able to encode while playing a game. However I was wandering does having smp boost divx encoding times. I use Dr. Divx and get about 38fps when running at 2.1ghz. It took 2 hours and 10minutes to do Goldmember. (I read awhile back that someon was getting 70fps plus). Also i was wandering if raid 0 might make a noticeble difference.
Thanks

Rav

Encoding relies on a lot of different factors depending on the source format, destination format, resolution, bitrate, etc. It also depends on the software you use. I find that when encoding 720x480 Divx I get about 16 FPS per CPU, although I see memory and disk bottlenecks depending what I'm encoding. I usually encode two videos at once to get maximum CPU usage. With VirtualDub I usually get 56% CPU use with 1 video: 50% (100% of 1 CPU) for the video and 6% on the other CPU for audio, two threads.

-Rav

spldart

I encode into divx 3.11 and 5.0? all the time and with Virtualdub I can use both processors at the same time to encode.

Often when I take a 2 hour mpeg2 and convert it to a divx avi that will fit on a cdr I get framerates in the 100 to 120 fps range. Of course the resolution isn't as high as DVD but it's better than vhs and vcd.

OP
N

NewbiePerson

i'm definately thinking about dual now.
the only bad thing is I want serial raid onboard....
how long do you think it will be before opteron prices fall?

Rav

You could always add a SATA RAID card. If you get a board with 64-bit 66Mhz slots you will have loads of bandwidth. Most RAID cards support 66Mhz, and the high end ones are sometimes 64-bit too.

-Rav

SickBoy

Inactive Moderator
A 64/66 Hardware SATA RAID card won't come cheap but I can guarantee you it will outperform software RAID cards of similar specs. That's been the case with RAID solutions, most onboard RAID is really just software RAID. The 64/66 PCI will give you extra bandwidth to benefit from a good disk controller, be it SATA or SCSI or PATA...

To quote someone over at 2CPU (I forget who), "SMP+SCSI=Heaven" which isn't limited to SCSI but to any good throughput storage system.

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
Indigo_ts said:
If you happen to be encoding with tempeng then yes smp will speed it up. There is a multithreading option, and for me it cuts the time by around 25%. I hope this helps.

Do you have to run the program with a flag, to get it to run multiple threads, or is it automatic?

*EDIT* I ask because I was using TMPGEnc the other day and noticed my CPU usage hanging around 60% (across both CPU's). I was wondering if there was a way I could run the program for more CPU power and quicker results.

Last edited:

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
This is probably a dumb question, but I'll ask, anyway:

[threadjack]

Is DivX and MPEG 4 the same thing? I thought they were different, but then I was seeing them used interchangably. Since the posters in this thread have more experience than I do, with DivX, I thought it a convenient place to ask.

[/threadjack]

*EDIT* Never mind, found the answer here.

boostland

Registered
I use Gordian Knot from www.doom9.org to encode my DVD's.
It will also let you put the Ac3 sound track in the avi as well to preserve the dolby 6.1 sound.
It uses Virtualdubmod to do the encoding, It uses both cpus to encode 85 - 95 % cpu use and gets about 70 - 80 fps encoding with Divx or Xvid. The FPS drops if you put Xvid into High quality mode with VHQ mode 1, but it increases the quality a fair bit.
Videostudio Pro 7 with the patch now uses 2 cpus when encoding into Mpeg video, but it seems to only use one when making Divx/Xvid avi's.

JCLW

I use Vidomi

As well an being multithreaded, it will also run across multiple computers on a network.

- JW

camfortner

Registered
NewbiePerson said:
aren't they expensive though?

Yeah, i have Dual Xeon 2400s, and using TMPGenc it's about 20-30% faster because that program can utilize SMP/HT

I find TMPGenc is faster than Premiere 6.0 although Premiere touts SMP optimizations.

amdscooter

I find TMPGenc is faster than Premiere 6.0 although Premiere touts SMP optimizations.

I currently use Vidomi to encode DivX 5.1.1 from VOB files. It is very simple to use and very speedy on my OC'd dual 3.6Ghz Xeon setup. It is not uncommon to see 70fps at good quality settings. Just encoded T3 in 1hr. 45min. I do do some post processing using VirtualDub to raise the volume and recompress the audio. But I am always looking for other software. Are there any GOOD guides on how to encode using TMPGenc/in SMP for the same purposes? I have seen many that claim to be easy but the bottom line is you would need a month of fiddlin to get any of them to work properly. Vidomi worked "right out of the box".

zachj

Chainsaw Senior
I can't get Vidomi to work with mpg files I record with my TVTuner card . . . Haven't tried a different format yet, though, so I won't lay blame on Vidomi until I try something else. Of course Vidomi is supposed to support the format, too . . .

I'm going to try recording straight to something better than MPG, though, now that I have a faster computer (I couldn't touch the mouse with my stock 1700+, 256MB PC2100, and AMD 760 chipset, or I'd get jumpy video).

Z

Gnerma

Originally posted by cmcquistion
Do you have to run the program with a flag, to get it to run multiple threads, or is it automatic?

*EDIT* I ask because I was using TMPGEnc the other day and noticed my CPU usage hanging around 60% (across both CPU's). I was wondering if there was a way I could run the program for more CPU power and quicker results.
I wondered the same thing back when I used TMPGenc..

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=149334&highlight=tmpgenc