• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SMP/Linux O/S

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

craigiz1

I have been looking at some threads and know that Linux can run a SMP system. I have never used Linux. Is it a system that can be learned easily and is there a FREE version that can be downloaded? I ask for FREE because I would like to keep the cost down in trying out a dual processor system and to see if I like Linux. I would be a "NEWBIE" to both.

This should have been over in OS's secion I think might get more helpfull replies there. Most linux distros are SMP out of the box. You can download Redhat or Slackware. SuSE (the best :) ) cant be downloaded any longer. I would spend some money and buy the CDs you are talking about hours of downloading to get a full distro and often there are problems later on. I would go with slackware for a downloadable distrobution. It not as easy to install most the time though.

Last edited:
for simplicity i'd tend to go for mandrake myself.. also it seems to crop up on a number of cover disks and such like .. personally i can't get the hang of linux.. doooh.. i keep trying but theres always some problem or other.. heh
..Q

Back