• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So Frustrated! FX8320 CPU throttling, good temp and used the guide PLEASE HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fueloficarus

Registered
HELP! I'm overclocked to 4.2 GHz on my Vishera 8320. I'm CPU throttling, not thermal (have yet to exceed 56C). I have done everything I can find online, and fixed a few things that I'd done wrong (HPC mode, for example, was disabled). I'll post pictures of my BIOS once I reboot the PC, even downloaded AMD Overdrive just to disable it! I took out one of my RAM chips. This same overclock worked yesterday, then today I installed a Corsair H100i V2 water cooler and now all these problems! I don't know if RAM settings can effect this, but I have rearranged them too (different latencies the HyperX Fury 8gb is able to perform at).

I've talked to several people on the form already and so far nothing works. Please, for the love of Dog, tell me I didn't buy this H100 only to end up with less performance!

| Corsair H100i V2
Water Cooler | GPU: MSI Radeon RX480 8GB | PSU: Corsair 750W Modular | Mobo: ASUS 970
Aura | 16GB DDR3RAM (currently 8g installed)| WD Blue 1TB HD, SSD, Sandisk 240GB SSD

IMG_20170110_004939.jpg

It sounds like APM is not disabled in BIOS from my quick scan of the data provided.

I've set the Power Response Control for both CPU and CPU/NB to the second highest setting (high) and I'm running Prime95 again. So far, so good. Core temp is 56, though. I've never seen anyone bring those settings up in tutorials, but after reading my manual 20 times I figured give it a shot!

AAAANDD it started again after 2:30 seconds or so. Temp is at 55.5-56C

- - - Updated - - -

Could it be my onboard chipset? The 970?

What case do you have and is there ample airflow over the VRMs? changing to a H100 would reduce airflow over the motherboard compared with an air cooler.

What board specifically? The 970 chipset was typically average? Most of them have minimal VRM thermal solutions.

I admittedly haven't read your other thread, but 4ghz is the stock turbo for these, so 4.2ghz in theory should be somewhat achievable. But are you stable at stock/default settings?

What case do you have and is there ample airflow over the VRMs? changing to a H100 would reduce airflow over the motherboard compared with an air cooler.

I have a Raidmax Horus, but I've modded it for big air, it's open on 2 sides (and I don't have dust, like, at all. OCD-ish)

What board specifically? The 970 chipset was typically average? Most of them have minimal VRM thermal solutions.

I admittedly haven't read your other thread, but 4ghz is the stock turbo for these, so 4.2ghz in theory should be somewhat achievable. But are you stable at stock/default settings?

I have the 970 Pro Gaming Aura by Asus. I found a stable 4.2 by OC'ing the BUS instead of the multiplier. I'm running Prime95 on a 4.3 right now, so far so good.

HA! Spoke too soon. WHEA error. I'm slowly coming around, I think. Just increased to 1.37 VCORE and 1.27 CPU/NB right now, pulling a core temp of 46.1-46.8 and a socket temp of 65-67. Have yet to see any throttling, thermal or core speed.

Curiously, my log shows no spike in temp or drop in MHZ before the WHEA error...

Hmm...

Shoot, I hope it's not this Fury ram chip. I have a PNY as well. They have the same timing and all, but it was bought as a replacement for one a friend stepped on. He didn't ask what I needed. Point is, I'll be upgrading to Jaws eventually here. I can't decide if I want to buy a new processor or RAM set first.

Anyway, apparently when you're getting over 4.2 on this particular chip you want to use BUS OC's.

^-Just re-read this. I need to sleep.-^

Last edited:
HA! Spoke too soon. WHEA error. I'm slowly coming around, I think. Just increased to 1.37 VCORE and 1.27 CPU/NB right now, pulling a core temp of 46.1-46.8 and a socket temp of 65-67. Have yet to see any throttling, thermal or core speed.

Curiously, my log shows no spike in temp or drop in MHZ before the WHEA error...

Hmm...

Shoot, I hope it's not this Fury ram chip. I have a PNY as well. They have the same timing and all, but it was bought as a replacement for one a friend stepped on. He didn't ask what I needed. Point is, I'll be upgrading to Jaws eventually here. I can't decide if I want to buy a new processor or RAM set first.

Anyway, apparently when you're getting over 4.2 on this particular chip you want to use BUS OC's.

^-Just re-read this. I need to sleep.-^

It's better to start and test with just the multi... What does Windows say in the event log after reboot?

This has already been brought up before ...... Your problem is most likely your ram. Mixing 2 different ram is NEVER a good idea when over clocking add into that Kingston ram in an AMD Build which ...... flip a coin ...... heads, will somewhat work when set right to ...... Tales, is a total PITA to get to work if you can at all. Sorry been there before and have given away very expensive ram in a simple computer for Christmas.

What I would do is beg borrow some rram from a buddy ...... 2 MATCHING Sticks no more then 8 GB preferably GSKILL although Corsair will work OK as well and retest your setup from the beginning.

Could it be the VRM's overheating ? Saul and Mjolnir have a point, water cooling does exactly nothing for the VRM's, from experience you need a fan over them to get decent clocks with an FX 8 core.

Something like this :

600x450px-LL-f7a2c0bc_00002497.jpeg Capturefan.PNG

Last edited:
That would be a great board for the FX 6 cores but, even though it has 8+2 power phase, I'm not sure it's up to overclocking an FX 8 core. It's still no Sabertooth.

And then there is the issue about the RAM as has already been brought up.

There's only 2 things that make cpu throttle. Heat or power savings either bios or winders.

Memory doesn't throttle but will create instability.

I suggest clear cmos start from scratch. Check all power saving settings off. Check windows settings and overclocking software settings.

Uninstall OC software. AOD sometimes doesn't work like we want it to.

That would be a great board for the FX 6 cores but, even though it has 8+2 power phase, I'm not sure it's up to overclocking an FX 8 core. It's still no Sabertooth.

And then there is the issue about the RAM as has already been brought up.

From what I can see around the web it's only a 6 phase although fully digital and looks to be of good components it could be a limiting factor, and especially after changing coolers the sudden problems.

edit - Someone stating it's got 7 phases for CPU?

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/fx-8370-and-asus-970-pro-gaming-aura-ln2.220193/

Last edited:
From what I can see around the web it's only a 6 phase although fully digital and looks to be of good components it could be a limiting factor, and especially after changing coolers the sudden problems.

edit - Someone stating it's got 7 phases for CPU?

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/fx-8370-and-asus-970-pro-gaming-aura-ln2.220193/

Kinda depends on how you interpret the power phase scheme Asus used on this board I think: http://www.overclockers.com/asus-970-pro-gaming-aura-motherboard-review/

"This looks like a very promising board to me. The power section is 8 phase but, the way I understand it, it uses a “7+1” layout instead of the typical “6+2” layout. This means it has 7 phases dedicated to the CPU and one for the CPU-NB, which should give it a bit more gas in the tank."

But I was wrong. Not 8+2 but it technically could be called an 8 phase board. May be a little better than 6+2.

Kinda depends on how you interpret the power phase scheme Asus used on this board I think: http://www.overclockers.com/asus-970-pro-gaming-aura-motherboard-review/

"This looks like a very promising board to me. The power section is 8 phase but, the way I understand it, it uses a “7+1” layout instead of the typical “6+2” layout. This means it has 7 phases dedicated to the CPU and one for the CPU-NB, which should give it a bit more gas in the tank."

But I was wrong. Not 8+2 but it technically could be called an 8 phase board. May be a little better than 6+2.

Hmm it's an interesting configuration. Should be able to pump out a lot of power, I guess it could be getting too hot though with no airflow. Just something the OP will have to test I suppose.

I'll just leave this here for those that doubt the 970 Aura. No, it's not a Sabertooth but...........
This is not mine. It's Johan45's and is on a 970 Aura, CPU on cold water.

image_id_1731821.jpg

It's because of your H100 change. Your socket temp at almost 70c will cause you to throttle. Your VRM's are conscious of that temp. VRM's need better cooling and so does the socket.

Last edited:
Guys! I think I may have got it. I'm running AIDA64 right now on a 4.4 OC and it's doing great. No throttling, temps have yet to exceed 43C (and comp room is hot as hell right now). I think there were two problems: I was not in performance mode (I effing forgot I upgraded to Win10Pro) in my Control Panel settings, ALSO I've done about 12 hours worth of reading.

It appears that this particular combination of board and processor HATES prime95 between 4.2 and 4.5. What I managed to figure out is that this problem isn't a result of prime95 or my board sucking, it had to do with the VCORE offset I had. I think I can boost to 4.6 just to see if I can do it (shouldn't be a problem), but I'll probably run 24/7 on this 4.4 I got. I did it with one RAM stick, I'm about to restart and try it with the other (different brands of RAM sticks, same CAS latency and timing strings though). Also, I ran out and got a 140mm fan to blow at my VRM and the 970 heatsink (the 970 heat sink was getting hot as balls, but in my experience they do regardless of OC or stock).

The point is, the offset and (in many cases) the CPU and CPU/NB Frequency can be modified to correct what was happening to me. It took a lot of tweaking (filled up all the profile slots in BIOS) to get me here, but it seems locked down.

Back