• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So I bought a Mobile Barton

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blkgti

AQXEA 0335 (brown)

Came home from work early, as soon as I saw the FedEx delivery confirmation, and installed it right away. It booted in my NF7 as "unknown CPU" at 100x6 @1.575V. Right now, it's Priming at 200x11 @ 1.55V (1.5V in BIOS) and has been going for about 45 minutes. The CPU temp is at 37C with the Panaflo fan spinning at ~half speed. Needless to say, I'm pretty excited!

Wow. Looks like it's got some awesome potential. Looks like you could cross the 2.6gHz barrier with it. Mobile processors seem like gold mines for overclockers. Where, may I ask, did you get yours?

Gautam said:
Wow. Looks like it's got some awesome potential. Looks like you could cross the 2.6gHz barrier with it. Mobile processors seem like gold mines for overclockers. Where, may I ask, did you get yours?

I bought it at Newegg this past Tuesday. It's a 2500+ and they ran out of them a few hours after I ordered mine. They still have some XP-M2400+ left. As I understand it, though, this chip may not work in all mobos:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=17853

Still no hick-ups in Prime. I wonder how high I can get this thing to run at 1.55V? I mean, I just installed it about an hour ago; I kinda want to let it burn-in a bit, but a little voice inside my head is telling me to push it further.

The Coolest said:
Is there anyway you could give trying to change the multiplier through software a go?
Here's the thread to what to do:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=257004
It'd be lots of help for OCers on NF2 mobos and the new locked bartons!

Which software does one use to change the multiplier in Windows?

You DO NOT need to do any mods as you already have a mobile chip with max of x13.5 multiplier.

To be perfectly honest, I wasn't planning on doing any mods. How do you know the chp maxes-out at x13.5?

its max multiplier that can be selected by software from window is x13.5 (the default speed of the CPU is x13.5/x14 (2400+/2500+) x 133).
The link to what you need is here:
http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/Download.htm (get CPUMSR 0.86)

get CPUMSR, and see if you have 2x"Supported" under voltages and frequency tab. then try to change ur multi DOWN, just to make sure that if it locks up it didn't do that because of too high voltage.

The Coolest said:
its max multiplier that can be selected by software from window is x13.5 (the default speed of the CPU is x13.5/x14 (2400+/2500+) x 133).
The link to what you need is here:
http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/Download.htm (get CPUMSR 0.86)

OK, maybe I'll give it a shot once I get things situated.

I couldn't wait any longer and decided to go for some speed. The XP-M has been Priming for 1/2 hour now at 220x11 @ 1.825V (1.775V in BIOS), running 41C max CPU temp. Once I get myself under control, I'll begin testing more systematically. ;-)

Hey, it's running really cool for you!

I'll bet 2600 MHz with it isn't out of the question the way it has scaling so far, for the clock speed, cooling, and amount of voltage you have on it, it is really cold (and that Vcore is abnormally low for a Barton at that speed too).

Seriously, try out the software multiplier changes as soon as you can - seeing as you have a common nForce 2 board, if PowerNow! works we could all be set for unlocking locked processors ;)

It's been Priming (priority 10) now for a little more than 2 hours at 220x11 @1.825V. I don't really understand the low temps. Usually, the XP2500+ in my sig @ 1.8V runs at ~44C max, yet the XP-M2500+ is hitting 42C max at .25V more Vcore. Not that I'm unhappy about it...

I'm off to take my wife to see the new Lord of the Rings flick. I hope it's still running when I get back.

blkgti I hope you do not burn that chip out because desktop voltage and Mobile voltage is offset a lot...
Check this table out
VID_codes.gif

That means if you put desktop CPU with 1.500V default voltage to notebook system, motherboard will supply it with 1.300V only. And if you put mobile CPU with 1.100V default voltage to desktop system, motherboard will supply it with 1.275V. Therefore, putting mobile CPU to desktop system and vice versa is problematic.

I almost burned my LOCKED desktop 2500 Barton out last night after I unlocked it but still keep the 1.8V setting in ABIT mobo... According to that table you have to run your new Mobile Barton at 1.425V = 1.250V (default voltage for Mobile 2500 Barton). I am running my new Mobile 2500 barton at 180 x 11 at 1.45V at 38C idle to test it out until I can change the mutiplier on the fly....

So are you saying that when you set 1.25 you actually get 1.425?
So if my motherboard is limited in BIOS to 1.85v I can give 2v to my core? Or even more if mobo overvolts a bit?

I think he means that the stock Vcore is adjusted. So - this BArton 2500+ Mobile processor stocked at 1.575 in blkgti's NF7-S board, meaning that the stock Vcore in a notebook system would be 1.45V.

If blkgti changes his Vcore to 1.9V in the BIOS of his NF7-S, it should be ~1.9V actual as well.

I'm pretty sure the table only applies to the *stock* Vcore the procesor defaults with.

felinusz said:
I think he means that the stock Vcore is adjusted. So - this BArton 2500+ Mobile processor stocked at 1.575 in blkgti's NF7-S board, meaning that the stock Vcore in a notebook system would be 1.45V.

If blkgti changes his Vcore to 1.9V in the BIOS of his NF7-S, it should be ~1.9V actual as well.

I'm pretty sure the table only applies to the *stock* Vcore the procesor defaults with.

This is how I understood the data, too.

As an update, Prime failed after 5 1/2 hours with 220x11 @ 1.825V. I'm running the same config at 1.85V right now and I bet it'll be stable. At this point, I'm not even sure if I want to push the chip any harder, as I'm pretty happy with things as they are.

blkgti did you try that SW to change the mutiplier in windows? Can you post setting of these bridges please: L5 - L6 - L8 and L11, you can grab them pictures from http://fab51.fc2web.com/pc/barton/athlon-e23.html
and edit it to make it clear for how to unlocked to a Mobile Barton 2500.... I am out of luck with this AMD 2500 Barton UNLOCKED to mobile because ABit NF7 - S does not support POWERNOW... I go and get a VIA chipset Mobo or even a SiS chipset mobo to confirm my Barton is indeed unlock...:D

THANKS

MaxTem said:
blkgti did you try that SW to change the mutiplier in windows?

Yes, I did. The machine locked-up as soon as I clicked OK after changing the multiplier.

Can you post setting of these bridges please: L5 - L6 - L8 and L11, you can grab them pictures from http://fab51.fc2web.com/pc/barton/athlon-e23.html
and edit it to make it clear for how to unlocked to a Mobile Barton 2500....

I doubt it, as I'm not planning on taking the chip out anytime soon.

I am out of luck with this AMD 2500 Barton UNLOCKED to mobile because ABit NF7 - S does not support POWERNOW... I go and get a VIA chipset Mobo or even a SiS chipset mobo to confirm my Barton is indeed unlock...:D

I'm a little lost, as I have basically the same mobo as you, yet I can easily change the multipiers in BIOS on my Mobile chip. Maybe there's something I don't understand. I mean, if your CPU is unlocked to Mobile, then why can't you just change its config in BIOS? Too, as you have a NF7-S, why don't ya sell your CPU and buy a XP-M, like I did, which is ulocked and seems to OC very well?

TheGr8s1 said:
what was the package date for your UNLOCKED mobile Barton?

Ya mean the part of the stepping code that indicates the date? it was 0335.

BTW, the chip ran Prime (priority 10) all night and this morning with no problems at 220x11 @ 1.85V (2.42GHz). I finally turned it off so that I could try different settings.

So can you give CPUMSR a try and try to change to any other multiplier than the one u selected from the BIOS?

The Coolest said:
So can you give CPUMSR a try and try to change to any other multiplier than the one u selected from the BIOS?

As I posted in a message above, I did try the app and the machine froze right after I clicked OK. Actually, I tried changing the multipliers 3 times with the software - using different values - with identical results. As I also mentioned in that post, I don't understnad the need for this application if one has a NF-7(S). Mobile chips are already unlocked and their config can changed in BIOS.

As a side note, the CPU is running at 2.5GHz now (200x12.5) and is stable for far.

True, but many, many people have locked chips now, or motherboards uncapable of changing multipliers in the BIOS.
Or people like me for example, my chip is limited to 2100MHz max on my board, but x13-x14 multies don't work, so i got either x12.5 or x15, with x15 my FSB is very low, I want to get it higher, at x12.5 I just don't think my FSB will go THAT high for the same 2100MHz, with this trick, when I finally get some conductive paint, I will, hopefully, be able to use these multipliers

Back