• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So I bought a Mobile Barton

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah, and he should be able to use lower voltages, right? :rolleyes:

Of course it's not a "true" mobile. The mobile chips are probably chosen off the line by their ability to do regular speeds at lower voltages, then the powernow is enabled on them. By converting a desktop chip into a mobile one, you just enable the powernow method of controlling the multiplier after boot. The voltage at which the chip operates stays the same, and the multiplier lock (if any) stays the same.

What other point is there to see? Could such a chip operate in a laptop? Yes it could, although it would need careful adjustment of L8/L11 bridges to account for its true voltages, and it will probably run hotter than a "true" mobile chip.

blkgti said:

How do you know? AFAIK, they're all unlocked and that includes chips manufactured after week 39:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?postid=310368#post310368

That very well may be true, but it's hardly the point. If MaxTemp's chip is truly converted into a Mobile, then he should be able to change its multipliers in BIOS on his Abit. If he can't, then it stands to reason that the chip isn't a Mobile.

You better not tell other people what to do when you do not understand it. There is nothing like "truly converted to Mobile". Only difference of mobile chip is that it has 2 MSRs enabled. That's all. Then it has different startup L3 multiplier and runs with lower default voltage. You can not convert L3 locked CPU to L3 unlocked CPU.

I expect AMD using different packaging with L3 and L2 bridges disconnected for newer CPUs so I think it is only question of time when regular mobile CPUs will be L3 multiplier locked.

stamasd said:
Yeah, and he should be able to use lower voltages, right? :rolleyes:

Hmmm...I don't recall ever saying that.

Of course it's not a "true" mobile. The mobile chips are probably chosen off the line by their ability to do regular speeds at lower voltages, then the powernow is enabled on them. By converting a desktop chip into a mobile one, you just enable the powernow method of controlling the multiplier after boot. The voltage at which the chip operates stays the same, and the multiplier lock (if any) stays the same.

I see. So calling it a Mobile chip is simply a term of convenience.

blkgti said:

Hmmm...I don't recall ever saying that.
Sorry. Got carried away.

I see. So calling it a Mobile chip is simply a term of convenience.

It is convenient, yes, but such a chip could function in a laptop as well and use the powernow features, so IMHO it's rightfully called "mobile". :)

Petr said:
You better not tell other people what to do when you do not understand it.

Umm....I don't recall telling anyone what to do and I certainly appreciate folks with greater expertise in the matter clearing-up any misunderstandings.

There is nothing like "truly converted to Mobile".

Yes, that seems to be the case.

Only difference of mobile chip is that it has 2 MSRs enabled. That's all. Then it has different startup L3 multiplier and runs with lower default voltage. You can not convert L3 locked CPU to L3 unlocked CPU.

I see. Thanks for the explanation.

Back