• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So I filed my first ever BBB complaint. (Was I right?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

killem2

It all started when I got my new XFX HD 5850 from newegg.com on the 20th. Now mind you when I bought this card, in the pictures and the description it had said Dirt 2 coupon included for free download. There were some scattered reviewers saying they didn't get one, but I just figured they were dumb and didn't realize its a coupon to download it not a real dvd or anything. Well sure enough it wasn't in my XFX box, and they changed the picture and description on newegg.com between the 15th when I bought it and the 20th when I got it.

Now normally I wouldn't so worried about it but my 5 year old son loves the demo for dirt 2, and I figured this would make a great late Christmas present and he was pretty bummed when we didn't get it. So that's what really made me mad. So I went to newegg.com live chat first, and after about 10 mins of searching they said I have to speak with XFX because of limited supplies and the number the lady gave me ended up getting me to tech support, which really ****ed me off.

So I went back to new egg again. 10 more mins they told me they could not find any evidence of such a thing, but this guy gave me a different number to call for XFX so I tried and they were closed sadly. So, I filled out two different email forms for xfx and they have yet to get back to me.

So I filed a BBB complaint against them both for misleading adds. All I am asking for is 36.99 for the game or the coupon.

I even pointed out other mismatches in there other xfx ati card like pictures show one thing but text shows something else.

Now, I'm not usually one to every complain about anything. If my cable is out, I don't call about it (though I should), I don't complain when my mechanic doesn't exactly fix something to its fullest on my car (though I should I know). I take a lot of crap lol. But this just pushed my buttons. I mean I'm playing 300.00 for a product I expect the advertising and customer service to be responsive and own up to a mistake regardless if I can prove it. I mean, I shouldn't have to save pictures of my purchases. lol.

Just wanted to get that off my chest. I always have had amazing experiences with newegg.com even since my first pc I bought from them in 2002 and even through 2 rma I had to do. :attn:

dgb303

Rough man. I've had nothing but great experiences with newegg but I've got no clue about XFX stuff. Hope it works out for you.

OP
killem2

killem2

I've had nothing but great experiences with newegg

Yeah me either, I suppose there is a first for everything at some point. I would say one bad thing after nearly 8 years ain't bad.

turbohans

I've always gone with tigerdirect due to their shipping only being a day ups ground to me.

I do agree with you though, I have spent a lot of time looking at everything on both sites and noticing TONS of errors that make the people updating the sites look like total morons that know nothing about computers...

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
It doesnt show in your newegg account history that it came with the coupon?

I had this happen with my GTX260 216 from Evga, the code on the paper didnt work...but my son wasnt itchnig to get it and I could have cared less so I didnt push the issue.

OP
killem2

killem2

It doesnt show in your newegg account history that it came with the coupon?

I had this happen with my GTX260 216 from Evga, the code on the paper didnt work...but my son wasnt itchnig to get it and I could have cared less so I didnt push the issue.

No it doesn't, but then again I don't recall my amd cpu back in 2004 having a separate item for far cry but I can check.

I wish it did LOL so I had a leg to stand on haha.

Edit: My history for the cpu has an OEM disk, but I don't know how it does it with coupons.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
It will usually 'capture' the the item and say that on the page...

"coupon for......" Like in red letters as it is in on the page. Maybe you saw one item and bought another by mistake? Usually newegg is pretty darn good at customer service so..... I dont know. Good luck. I personally wouldnt have went to the BBB on this especially without any concrete proof of what you were supposed to get. I was a customer service manager for a lawn care company a few years back and had plenty of dealings. They (BBB) are all about the consumer, but they have to have PROOF.

Sir-Epix

I don't know if XFX is like this or not; however, for a EVGA card I bought off newegg I got a free download code for Crysistatis or something like that.

In order to get stated code I had to register my video card with eVGA... I wonder if you try that with XFX and your card if you would get the dl code for the game. Just an FYI... as I have never had any problems with newegg, but there is a first time for everything.

madhatter256

Special Member
I've seen disclaimers for items on newegg that the picture you see may vary from the actual item you will receive.

For example, my sapphire Radeon 4850 w/ 512mb RAM. In the picture I saw when I bought it, the VRM modules on the card were on the side where the VGA ports are. When I received the video card, the VRM modules were on the other side that the picture showed them at (next to the PCIe power connector).

Good luck with the complaint. I hope you get that game...

OP
killem2

killem2

They (BBB) are all about the consumer, but they have to have PROOF.

No they don't. I can assure you of that, or at least it isn't considered much, when I worked with my old cable company we got BBB complaints all the time for stuff that could have been handled over the phone, but the issues were for credits that we wouldn't give when it wasn't warranted. So I figured, well, I've hit a dead end, I KNOW, I'm not lying so, lets see what happens.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
No they don't. I can assure you of that, or at least it isn't considered much, when I worked with my old cable company we got BBB complaints all the time for stuff that could have been handled over the phone, but the issues were for credits that we wouldn't give when it wasn't warranted. So I figured, well, I've hit a dead end, I KNOW, I'm not lying so, lets see what happens.
Thats b/c, and like I said I know, companies will roll over and thats what you are hoping for. After I started pushing back at teh BBB, things changed. Here is to hoping the co rolls over for you since you have no proof. :D

RollingThunder

Destroyer of Trolls & Spammers
Killem,

I bought an XFX 9800GT last year from Newegg early in their sale and it was advertised with "COD 4." The CD was in the box as your game should have been.

J-Sap

He said in the description that it came with the game, that is far more important then just having it in the products picture.

Good luck with this and keep us updated on what is happening.

I once contacted the BBB for an issue I had with EA and they were able to resolve it for me, ever since then I have sworn to never buy another EA game and have kept with that. My complaint was because they came out with patch 1.2 that made all DX8 ATI cards useless (they called it removing Pixel Shader 1.4 support which only the ATI DX8 cards ran) while Nvidia cards were uneffected. EA claimed that they did not support cards with less than 64Mb of memory but I was one of the few people who got a card with 128Mb. They basically changed the minimum system requirements either months after it was released. I contacted the BBB in San Francisco, California on Feb 27, 2006 and they gave EA until March 10, 2006 to respond. On the 9th of March they came out with patch 1.21 that fixed it. I was very happy that it worked although it left a foul taste in my mouth and I never found BF2 as much fun after.

Sorry to go on that little rant but it brought up some old memories.

Bobnova

The BBB doesn't have any actual power to do anything at all. The only thing they actually do is keep a record of complaints that you can look through. Beyond that, they have no teeth, they can't impose fines or anything like that.
I know this after filing a BBB complaint against a laptop repair place that ground off part of my mobo to save themselves an hour or two of labor.

I hope you get what you are after, but i would talk to newegg support (on the phone, get managers, get the manager's manager) as well as the BBB, as they're the only ones that can actually do anything.

OP
killem2

killem2

Company's Initial Response - Posted 01/28/2010
Please accept our apology regarding your recent purchase experience. Since the item was being shipped without the game, we had the game offered as a free combo during checkout. As you stated, we’ve since removed the promotion since the game was not included with the item. Unfortunately, the game (item# 32-777-012) is not currently in stock, but we would be happy to send it to you free of charge once we get more. We do not have an ETA for the item at this time, but we welcome you to select the “Auto-Notify” button under the item price so you will be e-mailed as soon as they are in stock. Once you are notified, please contact Newegg Rep Joshua at 800-390-1119 ext 25092 or [email protected] so we can send the item to you. Thank You, Newegg.com
Initial Response Summary
We will ship the game once in stock.
:attn:

Thank you new egg for stepping up.