• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So I got owned for the first time today :( *sniff*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beavismorpheus

About the same time i noticed how sweet f.e.a.r. mp is at 1600x1200 on max, i smelled something burning in my case. As i was in the middle of typing "omg, i need to shut down, brb", my computer suddenly turned off. :eh?:

I had a powmax 400w max psu. its a poopy brand and i have no idea what it does RMS.

So I bought this thermaltake TR2 off teh egg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153023

it seemed like a sweet deal! 430w! Is that RMS or does thermaltake inflate their specs? Can you tell me if it will power my rig? I have:
Opteron 144 @ 2.6ghz
1 gig pc4000
7800gt
1 7200 rpm ide hdd
1 dvd-rw

the amperage drawn cant be too high, i thought my powmax would handle it w/ ease, but i got newbified! It was powering...
Athlon xp 2500+ barton
768mb pc2700
9800 pro
1 7200 rpm ide hdd
1 dvd-rw

Was it the processor or the new card that owned the psu? or was it a combination of things? i had the psu for a couple years, maybe it was its tme to pass on, no matter what the rig, j00 know?

In the mean while, i found a 250w psu that does 9amps on the 12v. LOLERSAUCE! Im had to hook a molex to my 9800 pro to have a display, but im not gonna try gaming, im afraid ill fry this PSU. Come on fedex express saver!!!

btw: what is the name of that other power cord that stems from the psu and goes into the motherboard? whats its function? theres the big power cord w/ like 16 pins and then a smaller one thats like 4 pins. This old power supply i have didnt have that 4 pin one, luckily, my socket 462 mobo doesnt have a place for it. Could I run my socket 939 board off the PSU w/o hooking up that 4 pin cable? I thought about it, but its no big deal, i cant game either way.

Nexus Realized

I've never owned a powmax PSU before, but from what I've heard from other members here is they are complete crap. Hopefully it didn't take anything with it.

OP
beavismorpheus

beavismorpheus

oh noes!!!!! Does that happen more often than not? the power supply shorting out the motherboard, cpu or even worse, my 300$ graphics card? what usuallyg oes down? OMG!!!!!!!!11

Commander_Kang

Speedy Dragon
I built a computer a few years ago for a friend and it had that brand of psu in it.System ran fine for about a year and then bang the psu burst into flames.The psu killed his mother board,mem,and cpu.I had a fortron psu go on me once killed itself along with my brand new msi k7d master mother board... I think that was their smp mother board back in the day?I lucked out though since I had only had it for a day newegg allowed me to return them both.

-edit-
It was the K7D Master

OP
beavismorpheus

beavismorpheus

crap, now youre scaring me. if i hook my psu up to the socket 939 w/o the 4 pin connector, will it boot? I want to test it to see if it works. the new gig of ram is working fine in my socket 462 board, thank god :)

larrymoencurly

I had a mobo that wouldn't boot unless the 4-pin connector wasn't plugged in, and apparently the sole yellow +12V wire on the 20-pin connector was used only to feed the PCI bus because it sure didn't feed the CPU's voltage regulator. I've read that other mobos will boot even when the 4-pin connector isn't used, but you have to be careful not to use a CPU that draws more than about 6 amps or the yellow wire will be overloaded.

azu

powmax are complete crap. period. My last psu was one. its dying every time i start up the comp lol.

SolidxSnake

POWMAX~!

Taking your POW.... to the MAXX!!!

omg i haven't said that in forever. But yeah, POWMAX and RaidMax PSUs are utter trash.

shellshock

lol yep, I was just getting ready to say the POWA max saying, but I see solidx beat me to it. LOL Powermax psus suck monkey nut, along with there fans. I got a led fan from them and it took a dump after about 2 weeks.

cullam3n

My question is, why do you have such a (relatively) high power rig but you only bought a $40 powersupply? That's like buying a sports car and putting $40 tires on it. Sure, it still works, but you can't push it nearly as far before the tire breaks.

I thought I was being stingy when I paid $78 for my AX500-A Blue Storm.

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
Don't buy a Thermaltake PSU.

In fact, don't buy Thermaltake anything. Return that sucker, and get yourself a Fortron or something. I didn't feel bad at all about dropping $130 on the Seasonic 600w in my sig . Definitely worth it.

tresmonos

johan851 said:
Don't buy a Thermaltake PSU.

In fact, don't buy Thermaltake anything. Return that sucker, and get yourself a Fortron or something. I didn't feel bad at all about dropping $130 on the Seasonic 600w in my sig . Definitely worth it.

QFT

hafa