• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So I started at hwbot...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Enthusiast means ambient cooling.

Apprentice is chilled water or dice.

Extreme is LN2.

Elite is Extreme sponsored.

Scotty really came through for us. I couldn't use the version he posted because I'm on Win 10. I used the only one that would work for my OS, v2.0 I think. Didn't do much if anything for the CPU test, but for the GPUPI IB for video cards, this driver is amazing. It "almost" felt like I was cheating... lol ;) Site is dragging it's heels again, but I think that should give me a hardware gold cup.

EDIT: It reported my vid cards as RX 480s, but they are RX 580s.

Last edited:
Scotty really came through for us. I couldn't use the version he posted because I'm on Win 10. I used the only one that would work for my OS, v2.0 I think. Didn't do much if anything for the CPU test, but for the GPUPI IB for video cards, this driver is amazing. It "almost" felt like I was cheating... lol ;) Site is dragging it's heels again, but I think that should give me a hardware gold cup.

EDIT: It reported my vid cards as RX 480s, but they are RX 580s.

Which version did you use where? 2.9.x doesn't seem to do anything on Win10. 3.0 is just a downloader, but the place it points to doesn't seem to exist any more. Between them I've still been unable to run gpupi cpu on my Win10/Skylake-X system.

Still figuring out hwbot. Some results hadn't shown up after 24h from submission. Looks like a recalc request has at least made them show up on my submissions list (had to otherwise dig them out of the notification list) but doesn't look like ranking/points have been calculated yet.

Got my first silver cup for the gpupi run on vega 56. If I can shave a second off that I could get top spot. Wont be easy. From current testing I know core +5% is stable, and +10% is not. I'll have to try the intermediate steps... also, I've not yet fiddled with the ram clocks at all, in case they make a difference... I'm not a fan of modern GPU OC, as with all the adaptive stuff going on, I can't just pick a fixed clock and voltage to test (short of doing some custom power profiles), plus thermal throttling can put a cap on things. Could say the optimisation is max performance before thermal throttling.

Still have yet to set up my outdoor bench station. That should reduce ambient temps quite a bit, although I'm not so sure I'll enjoy being out there.

Also thinking about redoing my i3 OC... but it seems to be a popular thing already. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/779345-Non-K-OC-attempt

If results are not actual, no points etc. then click manual recalculation or in your user profile/tab is button to manually recalculate all submissions. Hwbot is slow and often is not recalculating some scores. They are also not recalculating old scores often. I guess that scores are being recalculated in any less popular category when someone manually forces recalculation. I have ~3.5k results and sometimes when I click recalculation for all then I get +/0 100 hardware points. Globals and competition points will be almost always correct so the issue is almost only with hardware and team points.
Next situation. When you had #1 and someone made by mistake submission better than yours ( or simply cheated in some way ) then you drop to #2. That incorrect submission is being deleted ( by user or mod ) but you are still at #2 if no one made recalculation.

In general more submissions in the category = more points. Some are farming categories. Especially XTU is easy as stock clock results often give 30 hardware points. I made one quick submission on not even my laptop about 2 or 3 years ago and I think it's still giving me 20+ hardware points. So why XTU is so good ( maybe a word about mechanics ) ? Because a lot of people click auto submission on every platform, especially laptops or branded PC at work which are often with single channel memory or already OS full of other soft.
From time to time some benchmarks are losing points because someone found some bug ( in other cases the same thing can be called tweak ;) ) or benchmark is simply old and causes other issues. Then some "farmers" can lose most of their points like it happened with PCMark05 and some guys lost 50-70% of their points.

I just noticed that my last submission was 2 months ago :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Things seem to be slowly happening now I hit recalculate. Got my 2nd silver cup by doing a quick CPU-Z clock submission with my work laptop, although it was a bit tricky to get the peak turbo clock as that wasn't frequently reached.

I've looked further, and my team submission earlier I now think is invalid. I met the conditions for personal submissions, which don't require a screenshot. The comp submission does require the wallpaper screenshot, which I don't have, thus is invalid for that part. Can I clean up this mess? I don't see any obvious way to withdraw the submission from the team comp. The last resort would be to delete the submission and use the same data to submit it again. Or if we're not seriously competing in that as a team, I can just ignore it.

I'm debating if there is a strategy to go for here for quick gains... for example, core frequency by CPU-Z is easy to do. Run it on every PC I have, even without much OC, that'll add up. Include XTU on the Intel systems, which is the vast majority, and easy points should roll in. When I have more time to go in depth, I can then separately focus on scoring high on a particular combo.

Is it too extreme to consider external video capture for less stable screenshot capture? So don't run it on the test machine at all, grab it over video cable. Can you tell, when I get into something, I *really* get into it!

Which version did you use where? 2.9.x doesn't seem to do anything on Win10. 3.0 is just a downloader, but the place it points to doesn't seem to exist any more. Between them I've still been unable to run gpupi cpu on my Win10/Skylake-X system.

Hmm, make sure you enable the High Precision Event Timer (HPET) in Windows 10 first. You're supposed to be running it before you submit any Windows 8, 8.1, or 10 results to HWBOT. It's not a big issue from what I see with 10, but people were disabling it to cheat on Windows 8.

Back to your question, I tried a couple of the files, looks like I downloaded two file: AMD-APP-SDKInstaller-v3.0.130.135-GA-windows-F-x64.exe and
AMD-SDK-InstallManager-v1.4.87 (1).exe (one installs and one errors out, I think it's v1.4.87 (1) I used).

I said v2.0 in my earlier post, looks like I had another senior moment (looks like I might have installed v3.0). But, when I open up GPUPI it says "2.0 AMD-APP is ready" which is why I said I had version 2.0. Now I'm confused. Pretty sure it was the third download from the top of that download page.

I'm debating if there is a strategy to go for here for quick gains... for example, core frequency by CPU-Z is easy to do. Run it on every PC I have, even without much OC, that'll add up. Include XTU on the Intel systems, which is the vast majority, and easy points should roll in. When I have more time to go in depth, I can then separately focus on scoring high on a particular combo.

The main issue with "easy points" is that in most cases what you can make quick is also easy to beat. Right now most active hwbot members who are gaining more points are benching on LN2. Some are using LN2 even on chips that are barely overclocking only to get that 1 point more from higher bclk or something else. On the other hand there are not many active overclockers who do that but some are just testing whole line of chips. In the past there were a lot of guys who were buying whole lines of cheap CPUs and benched them on SS or LN2. I made that with 478 ... got 70+ CPUs, some were free, some cost me ~$1. Right now I hate 478 and don't even want to think about benching it again. Since I benched them all, most my scores were beaten by other overclockers who had similar ideas but more luck to CPUs or simply had LN2.
I still have many CPUs which I haven't tested because of motherboard issues, lack of time or other reasons.

check wprime, hwbot prime, geekbench 3 ... these benchmarks will give you some "easy" points

Last edited:
A good way to make points that last is go bench old GPU's with fast recent CPU's on old 3d benchmarks which are now heavily CPU bound.

check wprime, hwbot prime, geekbench 3 ... these benchmarks will give you some "easy" points

Thanks for the hint, but I can't get wprime or HWBOT prime to run on Windows 10. I can do GeekBench 3, but I would not exactly call it easy points. I had to work hard to get the 5th place hardware medal.

A good way to make points that last is go bench old GPU's with fast recent CPU's on old 3d benchmarks which are now heavily CPU bound.

I do have plenty of older cards. They will have to be PCIe cards, not AGP or PCI cards. Hmmm, interesting idea. One that I can make use of too. Of course, I still have a couple computers that can do the older stuff too. LOL... I'm trying to not get back into this benching full time again. But, this winter it'll be cold and long. I plan on traveling a lot next summer, but I do have this winter. Gee honey, I have all these computers going to help keep the house warm. Why do you ask? Huh? Speak up, I can't hear you over all these fans.

For Wprime run as admin that should work or install Xp/Vista

I wish, I get by on the glory :screwy:
I was trying for an hour to get XP working on this MSi X299 just not gonna happen right now. I guess this will have to be Win7 for the Marathon..for now any way

I do have plenty of older cards. They will have to be PCIe cards, not AGP or PCI cards. Hmmm, interesting idea. One that I can make use of too. Of course, I still have a couple computers that can do the older stuff too. LOL... I'm trying to not get back into this benching full time again. But, this winter it'll be cold and long. I plan on traveling a lot next summer, but I do have this winter. Gee honey, I have all these computers going to help keep the house warm. Why do you ask? Huh? Speak up, I can't hear you over all these fans.

Yes, same here: we had a long hot summer (30c+ from late May to mid September), and that's not the best to get high clocks.

Things seem to be slowly happening now I hit recalculate. Got my 2nd silver cup by doing a quick CPU-Z clock submission with my work laptop, although it was a bit tricky to get the peak turbo clock as that wasn't frequently reached.

I've looked further, and my team submission earlier I now think is invalid. I met the conditions for personal submissions, which don't require a screenshot. The comp submission does require the wallpaper screenshot, which I don't have, thus is invalid for that part. Can I clean up this mess? I don't see any obvious way to withdraw the submission from the team comp. The last resort would be to delete the submission and use the same data to submit it again. Or if we're not seriously competing in that as a team, I can just ignore it.

Is it too extreme to consider external video capture for less stable screenshot capture? So don't run it on the test machine at all, grab it over video cable. Can you tell, when I get into something, I *really* get into it!

I don't think anyone ever answered Mack on this one. In a competition, you have to have all your ducks in a row. That sub without the official competition background is no good. You have to rerun the bench and submit it with all the i's dotted and t's crossed. I usually with have 2 or 3 bench runs completed and screenshots made during a session. It's happened to me before, I get a sub pulled because I got sloppy with the verification. If you have a backup or two, that might save you a lot of time.

I put the background on before I run the bench just to have one less think to worry about.

I cast about looking for quick points when I remembered my two laptops. Looks like I should be able to pull down a bunch of hardware cups and points with these bad boys, mainly because almost nobody has benched them.

On the team thing submission earlier, I didn't intend to enter it beforehand. It was only the popup after I submitted that teased me into doing it. Can they be updated (replaced) after initial submission? I could have another go, with wallpaper.

All you need to do is get a score a little bit more than the one you submitted and it'll replace the earlier one without the background. Worse case is you'll have that one sub disqualified and will have to redo it anyway. Not sure if you can directly delete a sub or not. You'd think that would be an option...

One little thing a lot of folks do during a competition is have several results with screenshots ready to go, but only initially submit one of the lower scores. You don't want to give your hand away too early and let the competition know exactly how much they need to beat you. Of course, sub all the highest results just before the deadline. Don't wait too long, you saw how slow the site got at the end of a competition. Everyone submitting their final score.

There are a bunch of optimizations you can do for Windows, like turn off all the animation and disable unused services hogging resources. I had forgot the background image was one of those many things. I had decided the background was insignificant by itself, but as Scotty points out, some benches might be more sensitive than others about it. I know when I bench SuperPi 1M, I'm fighting to get a few milliseconds faster, so I would do anything to help.

Hey Mackerel, I mentioned earlier in the thread about changing the priority in the task manager to run a benchmark, did you figure out how to do that?

Last edited:
Back