• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So kind as to answer 3 or 4 questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ancient

Registered
I need to connect my Frount Panel up And I am having difficulties with some terms. In the manual it gives ACPI, ALED(I think that is the IDE light), RST, PWR_ON (Power soft-off), RST (rest) PLED, SPKR.
My case has Reset sw, Power LED, HDD LED, Speaker, Power sw. I am trying to match these terms up, so I can hook it up. I would appreciate any help given.
thank you
ancient

ancient (Apr 05, 2001 09:01 a.m.):
I need to connect my Frount Panel up And I am having difficulties with some terms. In the manual it gives ACPI, ALED(I think that is the IDE light), RST, PWR_ON (Power soft-off), RST (rest) PLED, SPKR.
My case has Reset sw, Power LED, HDD LED, Speaker, Power sw. I am trying to match these terms up, so I can hook it up. I would appreciate any help given.
thank you
ancient

Connect reset to RST, connect Power LED to PLED, connect HDD LED to ALED and connect Power sw to PWR_ON. You don't need to connect the speaker unless you are planning to use the one in the case (yuck!).

Terry

Terry
I want to thank you so much for your help, I am going now to hook up and then power up for first time. I hope I have the jumpers right and the cables hooked right. If your hear fire engines, you will know I didn't.
Ancient

I turned the power on and the fans run (all 4 0f them) plus the cpu fan. My CD lit up and my LS120 but the CD drawer would not open, the monitor screen was blank (black), and it would not shut off. I think I am in trouble with this KA-266R board.
Ancient

I want to thank you for the help and I am guessing that I have a bumb board, I just wish there was a way to know for sure.
thanks again
Ancient

ancient (Apr 05, 2001 03:59 p.m.):
I want to thank you for the help and I am guessing that I have a bumb board, I just wish there was a way to know for sure.
thanks again
Ancient

If you still have the anti-static bag the the board came in, take the board out of the case and set it up on the bag. Put in only the CPU/HSF and video card, plug in power, monitor, k/b and mouse and fire it up. If it doesn't work you have a problem. If it does, add cards one at a time until it won't boot.

Terry

Tachyon
I want to thank you so much and I am going to take your advise. It will take me a little while, when you pass 80, you kinda slow down a little.
thanks a million
Ancient

ancient (Apr 05, 2001 06:57 p.m.):
Tachyon
I want to thank you so much and I am going to take your advise. It will take me a little while, when you pass 80, you kinda slow down a little.
thanks a million
Ancient

No problem. Glad to help. We'll all be here. :)

Terry

ancient (Apr 05, 2001 06:57 p.m.):
Tachyon
thanks a million
Ancient

Oops..I forgot...you need RAM in there too!!!

Ancient,

I just checked your profile. At 81, we are lucky to have such an experienced person in our midst, whether it's in computers or life. God put the gray hairs their so we would know who to listen to. Welcome to the Overclockers Forums!

Colin

I took your advice and took it out and hooked the graphics card only after I cleared the comos- nothing, put it back in and guess what POST TIME! I did a few hip hip horaah's and read the following Primary Master-none, Primary slave WDC AC31300R hmmmm going to have to change jumpers if I can find out how to place them ( I dont want to take the drive out unless I cant find it on the net). Processor-AMD Athlon (TM) 1000mhz it is supposed to be a 1.3 at 133. Is this just a misreading by the computer or have I been had.
I want to thank you for sticking with me for it has meant a lot and Colin thank you for that graceful welcome.
thanks again
Ancient

I'm glad you got it working. I assume the info on drives and CPU are from the BIOS, not the OS. I've been seeing processors that won't POST at their default speed (they POST lower) unless I set then using the "user define" function in BIOS. To make sure you got the right chip, look at the first line of code on the die. It should say 1333xxxx. If not you don't have what you paid for. Your drive should have come set to master and should have had instructions on how to change the jumper(s) so you can verify it is set up right.

Terry

Ancient,

There are things that I apparently take for granted. To test the way I suggested requires locating the two power on pins on the board and shorting them with a key, screwdriver, etc. to power it up.

Sorry,
Terry

Tachyon
I cant belive this, I had hooked up my CD and I powered on and hit F1 and it shut down and now nothing, no power to fans, nothing, went back to nothing except floppy and vidieo and still nothing. I cant think of anything I have done, I make sure to touch case at bare metal before doing anything.
Please think of something
thank you
Ancient

Got power back but it does not recognize hardrive, I think I may know the reason. I found a bad wire on the case frount, good old swr meter gets them every time. I certainly am getting an education in computers. :)
I will let you know about the harddrive.
thanks so much
Ancient

ancient (Apr 06, 2001 10:36 a.m.):
Tachyon
I cant belive this, I had hooked up my CD and I powered on and hit F1 and it shut down and now nothing, no power to fans, nothing, went back to nothing except floppy and vidieo and still nothing. I cant think of anything I have done, I make sure to touch case at bare metal before doing anything.
Please think of something
thank you
Ancient

It sounds like there is a short. As much of a hassle as this would be, I recommend to take everything out and start with just the board on the anti static bag with cpu, video and ram.

This stuff can be a real pain if things don't work right.

Terry

I have my harddrive to IDE 0 and my CD rom to IDE 1, does this matter?

It turns out to be a bad ribbon to the drive, new but bad. I am begining to think this computer is trying to help me learn, if I thought the other way, it would be on the trash dump. I am now in the Bios, trying to get things right. I will let you know how bad or good I do.
thanks a million for being here
Ancient

ancient (Apr 06, 2001 11:43 a.m.):
It turns out to be a bad ribbon to the drive, new but bad. I am begining to think this computer is trying to help me learn, if I thought the other way, it would be on the trash dump. I am now in the Bios, trying to get things right. I will let you know how bad or good I do.
thanks a million for being here
Ancient

Good luck Ancient.

There doesn't seem to be an easy way to learn about computers - the first one I built took me a week to get working from the time all the parts arrived at my house. Most of that time was spent on the phone to friends who knew about these things, or here in the forums. I found it helped to take a break and cool off when things were refusing to do what I wanted them to. Took me a couple of days to get it to switch on (mobo was shorting on the case), so I sympathise. Persevere, it will be worth it :)

Back