• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So... thoughts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nolukjustskil

Ok I plan on building a wooden pc case for my system and its going to be watercooled.
I havent started it yet, but its going to look similar to this http://www.ibuilditaudio.com/Projects/computer/computer-case-4.php
Except its going a be a little larger, have 2 360mm rad holes in the back(he has a 140mm fan). Since im building watercool peice by peice im gonna use my 120mm cpu AiO for now and upgrade to a 2nd 360mm rad with push/pull fans in the future(gonna use 2 120mm fans with cpu cooler to fill in the holes for now. I am also going to build a fan tray that sits in the bottom to pull air in (its going to have a furnace air filter on it(guy showed a 1 year later opening and had almost 0 dust in his system)
My few questions are should I mount the res outside the case or would it be fine inside? Any suggestion for wood types? Figured something that works well with heat and a little moisture. Do I have to set up push/pull on my rads or do you think their will be enough airflow to keep everything nice and cool?
Thank you for your time

You can mount the res anywhere that's convenient for you, as long as it comes before the pump in the loop. In my experience, push/pull fan setups don't offer much in the way of cooling gains. If it were me, I'd use fans only on one side of the rad.

I agree with ED.

I believe there are some members that have done similar builds here. Hopefully they can chime in with their experiences.

I have pull setup on the 360 rad and push/pull on the 240 rad in the back.
Air comes in the front, and exits the back out the 240 rad. Push or push/pull depends on your rads.. If they have a high fin count, then I'd go push/pull. If they are low fin count, like 8, I just used pull, but push would also work.

I have no other fans feeding cool air in, however I have very large open spaces so really the rad fans themselves pull in cool air.
Res can stay inside the case, that's fine.

For wood, I have always used square poplar dowels (cheap to buy), though my motherboard tray is made of pine (scrap pine i had lying around). I never painted any of my wood cases except my most recent one, which I painted a flat white. Unless your wood will be wet all the time or you live in a humid environment, any wood should do I would think. If you do live in a humid place, then I would seal the wood by painting, or a apply a varnish of sorts.

Latest case is in the spoilers if you want a look.

Yup, Silver was one of the members I was talking about.

Very nice Silver! :salute:

Back