• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So wait, is it not possible to Bluetooth sound from phone to Windows 10?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
I happen to have an Android phone. After not being able to get my PC speakers to play sound from my phone via Bluetooth on either Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, I found this official Intel page saying it cannot be done:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...30412/network-and-io/wireless-networking.html

"This means you can use Intel Bluetooth on Windows 10 to send audio to other Bluetooth devices, such as a speaker, but you won’t be able to receive audio from other Bluetooth devices via A2DP. For example, you won’t be able to stream music from your mobile phone to speakers on a Windows 10 PC.

So, what's going on, can we not Bluetooth sound from phone to Windows PC speakers?

Your chipset for audio must have a bluetooth option for that scenario to play out (forgive the double endendre'). I run my phone's sound via bluetooth to a Bose mini or to my car audio as they have that option (I too use an Android phone) enabled. I have a bluetooth chip installed in a USB port on my PC and can stream music from the PC to the Bose as well. There are other bluetooth speakers available; they aren't that expensive so may give you something to look forward to for Christmas.....wink, wink, nod, nod.....

I think you misunderstood?
FROM phone TO PC.
Phone playing on Windows.

Windows sound going OUT is of course possible, that's not a problem. But I am trying to get sound FROM phone to WINDOWS using Bluetoth. SOUND IN. Not sound out. This can be done on Windows 7 but apparently (Intel says) Microsoft took this option out in Windows 10, and I think Windows 8 too.

I understand. Your PC audio chipset must be bluetooth enabled for sound in and out. It's not, nor is mine (motherboard audio isn't famous for this). Windows apps can send via software through bluetooth if you have a bluetooth chipset available; mine does via a USB adapter. But I can't 'forward' the sound through to any PC speakers from an outside source. The signal (music) stops at Windows and is available to play if the music has been saved to a readable file, otherwise has nowhere to go as the MB audio chipset can't translate it as an available optional in/outsource.

Taheck you talkin'bout, of course most motherboards do not have bluetooth.

The post is needlessly confusing given the fact that this is allegedly possible under Windows 7 but not Windows 10, regardless of motherboard, as long as you have a Bluetooth device installed on your PC. In my case I have a Bluetooth PCIe card. The limitation is the operating system apparently, according to Intel itself: "...you won’t be able to stream music from your mobile phone to speakers on a Windows® 10 PC." Source: https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...30412/network-and-io/wireless-networking.html

BluetoothPCIe.jpg

Last edited:
Most relatively modern motherboards with integrated Wi-Fi have BT. BT is not chipset specific (per say). Though X570 and X390 (at least) have Wi-Fi integrated in the chipset, others that do not simply use a small M.2 key E card with a chip on the board to drive it.

That cleared up, I've never tried to stream anything from my phone to my PC considering my PC streams any music service I have for my phone (spotify, pandora, amazon music, etc). A quick run to google net the link below. Maybe give it whirl and see if it works: https://www.ampercent.com/stream-music-android-pc/16867/

There seems to be others like it. I am well aware it is not through Bluetooth but can potentially be a workaround if truly needed.

Good Luck.

Yea, as soon as I posted that I thought maybe newer motherboards do have it.
I agree that the solution is an app.
I scored that Asus card for $22 on Cyber Monday, which is many $ times less than a WiFi 6 card, and was hoping to take full advantage of its additional Bluetooth capabilities.

I hear there are modified drivers that allow for this and frankly I am confused at certain posts on the internet claiming this can be done, I think that Intel link clearly says that it is a Windows 10 limitation, I do believe Microsoft started applying it with Windows 8.

Why not just plug the phone in to the PC with a USB cable that plugs in your phone on 1 end and plugs in to the PC on other end? That would be for playing audio stored on the phone, as for streaming I don't know.

I don;t think I've thought this all the way through myself. If someone has a private internet music streaming account on their phone that they quickly want to stream from their phone to my PC, which itself is connected to 16 gigantic speakers...
How exactly do you accomplish that with a cable?

I don;t think I've thought this all the way through myself. If someone has a private internet music streaming account on their phone that they quickly want to stream from their phone to my PC, which itself is connected to 16 gigantic speakers...
How exactly do you accomplish that with a cable?

You plug in the USB cable between the PC and your phone. Supposedly Android can present itself as an audio accessory to the computer: https://source.android.com/devices/audio/usb

For Bluetooth, you use a real operating system with real audio software that properly implements both sides of A2DP, i.e. Linux and JACK :p

Back