• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So whats this kit missing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MsNath

OK I have been jumping around all day trying to figure out what to order. I am now looking at $150.00 kit from Danger Den.

The contents of the kit are listed below. In addition to these what else will I need?

I already have plenty of Artic Silver.

Socket A Kit

MAZE2 Copper Block
Copper Cold Plate
Cooling Cube Copper Radiator
156 Watt Peltier
1 - 1/16, 1/8, and 1/4" x 6" x 6" Neoprene Sheet
Water Wetter 4oz Bottle
Arctic Silver Thermal Compound II
7 Feet of 3/8" Silicon Hose

Looks like a good setup, you did notice the note about them not having any peltiers at the moment right? I was looking at that setup earlier this morning and noticed they dont have the pelts in stock at the moment.

Yes no pelts or pump!

Its my understanding that the pumps are being bought from petstores. These are aquarium pumps correct? Is this still the case? Are these pumps good neough to keep the flow going if I water cool my northbridge and video as well?

As long as you get a big one you'll be fine, since I haven't built a water cooling setup <just researched it> I'll let someone that has experience with a good high capacity pump point you in the right direction. But I've seen plenty of complicated cooling rigs built on big aquarium pumps.

Something I don't understand is how you hear everyone raving about Eheim pumps and you hear successful overclockers claiming the you need between 250-500 GPH, but the Eheim pumps available from PetSmart are either 80 or 160 GPH at 4-5 ft. Head. What gives?

Hoot

Those Enheims they advertise have plenty of power to get the job done, even with 2 or 3 different waterblocks and a large radiator in the system. The Enhein 1048 is rated at 160gph which is plenty for normal systems.

TT120 (Apr 20, 2001 02:14 p.m.):
Those Enheims they advertise have plenty of power to get the job done, even with 2 or 3 different waterblocks and a large radiator in the system. The Enhein 1048 is rated at 160gph which is plenty for normal systems.

What would be considered, not normal? :)

I am currently using the DangerDen cooling cube and waterblock . The Eheim pump currently in use here is the 1250, which is rated for 317US GPH at 6'-7" head. If you intend to cool chipset and GPU I would recommend you pick up one of these at Aquarium Services warehouse outlet here in Toronto.. My setup is working just fine. could not ask for better.

I am currently using the DangerDen cooling cube and waterblock . The Eheim pump currently in use here is the 1250, which is rated for 317US GPH at 6'-7" head. If you intend to cool chipset and GPU I would recommend you pick up one of these at Aquarium Services warehouse outlet here in Toronto.. My setup is working just fine. could not ask for better.

The system in my sig has a eheim 1048 as the pump. I had a much bigger pump about 600GPH (eheim hobby pump) in the system and it made no differance whatsoever in the cooling so I use the small pump because it is silent. In fact the only noise my system makes right now is comming from the PSU. I think I am going to punch some extra holes in it so it can be cooled be a convection current.

Something else that is missing from your list, you will need to do some waterproofing. Get some silicone, mineral spirits(to thin out silicon), and dielectric grease. If you have no experiance with preventing condensation I will be glad to tell you what I have done on my system.

I just re-read your post and I see you are going with the cooling cube. Different radiators offer more or less resistance to water flow and this effects the pump selection. Maybe somebody with a cooling cube cold post how hard it is to pump water through it. I am thinking that with all the passes through that rad you might benifit from a good size pump.

Sure, I'm right in the middle of one of my "Mr. Wizard" rants and the forums locked for about 7 minutes ;D

As water flows through a pipe or tube, it rubs against the walls. Water with a wetting agent does so even more. That's how it rubs off some of the heat to the tubing in the radiator. That rubbing is a curse as well as a blessing. The longer the course that the water has to run, the more tubing wall it has to rub against. The more wall it rubs against, the greater the resistance to its flow. Take a soda straw full of water and blow the water out. No big deal. Take a 20 foot coil of aquarium hose of the same diameter full of water and blow into it. That water is a lot tougher to move along, but it gets easier as less water is left inside (to rub against the wall). Yatta yatta... Get a good pump.

Hoot

ken257 (Apr 20, 2001 05:10 p.m.):
Something else that is missing from your list, you will need to do some waterproofing. Get some silicone, mineral spirits(to thin out silicon), and dielectric grease. If you have no experiance with preventing condensation I will be glad to tell you what I have done on my system.
I would be interested in how you condensation proofed your system.

you are missing one hell of a psu if you plan to use a 156w pelt, also your cpu is 85 watts of heat when overclocked, your peltier is 156W of heat= you need to dissipate 241 watts of heat to avoid having the pelt heat up your chip, not cool it! The radiator your kit comes with will only dissipate 200-225 watts comfortably, and a 160gph pump (esp. the rios) have a hard time pushing water through those cubes, I had to go to a 350gph danner pump. Any way, you will need anpther psu pushing 12V@15A continuous, possibly another radiator (becoolings single fits in the front bottom of most cases while the cube goes on the top rear), and a better pump. This is my experience using many of the components you listed in my cpu

ken257 (Apr 20, 2001 05:10 p.m.):
The system in my sig has a eheim 1048 as the pump. I had a much bigger pump about 600GPH (eheim hobby pump) in the system and it made no differance whatsoever in the cooling so I use the small pump because it is silent. In fact the only noise my system makes right now is comming from the PSU. I think I am going to punch some extra holes in it so it can be cooled be a convection current.

Keep in mind, if the pump is too big for the system, the water will speed through the radiators and not have enough time to cool

jordan (Apr 21, 2001 08:40 a.m.):
if you plan to use a 156w pelt, also your cpu is 85 watts of heat when overclocked, your peltier is 156W of heat= you need to dissipate 241 watts of heat to avoid having the pelt heat up your chip, not cool it! The radiator your kit comes with will only dissipate 200-225 watts comfortably.

Thanks for the calculations. The WaterBlock I decided to use is rated at 300w of disapation. However, I can see now that the radiator may be the bottle neck in the setup. Im going to experiment with different radiators and pumps after running the "stock" cooling kit for a while.

MsNath (Apr 20, 2001 02:19 p.m.):
What would be considered, not normal? :)
Well, something like pumping the water through your freezer in the other room through 4 radiators and a waterblock for every chip in your system.....:):):)

Hmmmmm....that gives me an idea............

TT120: I use a top loading freezer to chill about 15 gallons of water instead of using pelts. I find that is a much nicer way of dealing with the heat and you can get one of these freezers cheaper then a good power supply that is needed for a 172w pelt. Also you asked what I do about condensation? I am working on a how to for socket A and it should be up on my site in about a week. I looked all over the net but haven't found a specific AMD guide they are all either in general or for intel. The problem is that with AMD we have resistors and bridges on the chip so just slapping on some insulation doesn't give you good protection not to mention if it ends up holding your sink from getting good contact with the core!

um, geez, I thought I WAS normal- my north bridege, south bridge, cpu, video and bios chip all have waterjackets on them- Anyone know where I can get a harddrive waterjacket? :) LOL hahahaha

Havent tried the freezer thing though, thanks for the idea!

Back