• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So you have an A7N8X Rev2 and a 2500+?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dgk

I want details.

FSB:
Multiplier:
Vcore voltage:
Diode temp:
DDR voltage:
Memory 4 settings:
Memory brand, size, which slots:
Any Mods:
PSU:
Anything important to OC that I forgot:

I've seen sigs of folks at 200*11 and 1.65 volts and others around the same using 1.9 volts. I'm not stable at 200*11 anywhere near 1.65. Oddly enough, the downloaded manual shows 1.850 as the default. I don't think that's right. I greatly appreciate your contributions. Now dump.

Last edited:
OP
D

dgk

No one? sigh.

FSB: 200
Multiplier: 11
Vcore voltage: 1.750
Diode temp: 38 idle - Zalman 7000AlCu cooler
DDR voltage: 2.8
Memory 4 settings:6-2-2-2
Memory brand, size, which slots: 1*512 Mushkin Black lvl2 slot 1
Any Mods: no
PSU: Enermax 420? Whatever is in my sig

It ran Prime95 last night for an hour with no errors. I didn't let it go longer because I want to make more changes.

What I don't see is how folks get stable systems at 1.650 vcore and 2.6 volt ddr. I also was curious about how memory configuration affects the OC.

ThePCGuy

I'm running 2.2Ghz (200x11) on a Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe.

Vcore voltage: 1.65
Diode temp: Idle of around 42'C (stock cooler for now)
DDR voltage: 2.6V
Memory settings: Default Timings
Memory brand, size, which slots: Corsair Value Select, PC3200, 1GB total (512MB Chips), slots A1 and B1.
Any Mods: No
PSU: Generic 350W Powersupply from a Aspire X-Sonic Aluminum case from Newegg, all voltages are within their limits.

I haven't started tweaking the system really yet, going easy on it for awhile. The barton I have is locked (0344). But it sure likes a 200Mhz FSB.

ZX12Rguy

Registered
FSB: 166
Multiplier: 12.5
(2.088Mhz)
Vcore voltage: 1.70
Temp: Idle of around 38'C (stock cooler for now)
DDR voltage: 2.6V
Memory settings: 5222
Memory brand, size, which slots: Corsair XMS PC3200 LLPT, 1GB (2x512MB), slots A1 and C1.
Any Mods: No
PSU: Antec TruePower 480 (recent upgrade)

System was not stable when at 200FSB and anywhere from 2G - 2.3Ghz. PCMARK would pass and look good, but GAMING would frequently crash. (even with up to 1.8V on cpu)
Trying 166 with increased multiplier now and it is more stable for gaming.

doodah10

I'm running at 2405 Mhz

Multiplier: 12
Vcore voltage: Higest MB setting
Diode temp: 43c
DDR voltage: Higest MB setting
Memory 4 settings: 5-3-3-2
Memory brand, size, which slots: (2)Corsair XMS 512 PC3200 LLPT slot 1 & 3
Any Mods: NO
PSU: Enermax 431W

Can run stable all day at 202 FSB but crashes with some games or 3DMark at that setting. I am considering doing the vdd mod detailed in the sticky post on this forum.

Hell-Fire -XS-

Registered
FSB: 230
Multiplier: 9.5
Vcore voltage: 1.7
Diode temp: 42
DDR voltage: 3.0
Memory 4 settings: 2-3-3-7 (CH5 chips, whatcha gonna do.)
Memory brand, size, which slots: HyperX 3500 2x512
Any Mods: Vdimm, Vcore, Vdd, 5v-Mosfets
PSU: Antec TP550 - All rails are modded: 3.65v, 12.5v, 5.5v
Anything important to OC that I forgot: What cooling are people using is a good question as well.

My 2500+ is unlocked with AQXEA stepping.

I am running a lapped V7+ at the moment, but Water/TEC is coming this Christmas, then watch out 2500+. She hit 2535mhz on air....I am thinking 2.8GHz or so on the tec's.

Added hsinks to my mosfets, and added am active cooler to my NB.

mfjonny

Vcore voltage: 1.65
Diode temp: 42~43 on load (Prime), Thermalright SLK900a, AS5, 92mm Tt Smartfan 2
DDR voltage: 2.7
Memory 4 settings: 2-2-2-11
Memory brand, size, which slots: Corsair XMS3200c2, 512, slot-0
Any Mods: Zalman NB47J/AS5 on NB, Zalman NB32J/ASEpox on SB
PSU: Antec TruePower 430

System as listed passed 72hrs of Prime95, 3dMark03, 12hr. memtest86.

Last edited:
OP
D

dgk

mfjonny said:
Which manual did you have the barton2500 listed at 1.85 stock? Because i am fairly certain the stock vcore is 1.65.

http://www.amdboard.com/amdid.html

the "K" DKV4D in the barton chip code specifies the voltage.

It's a PDF I downloaded from ASUS e1292-a7n8x_deluxe.pdf and the front page says A7N8X series - revision 4. I thought it odd because the manual that came with the board, I am sure, did not have 1.85 as the default.

Nobody's using Muskin I see. Maybe that should go back for the Corsair? That seems to work well on the board.

ThePCGuy amazes me. 200*11 with the lowest voltage on both Vcore and ram. What are slots A1 and B1? It's the E board so that might mean something? Is that Dual Channel? Generic power supply - Aspire. I''ll have to check the PSU forum about that. You're going to be dangerous with better cooling.

I see mfjonny is running single channel. I think I'm going to play around with that a bit more.

Hell-Fire -XS- 230*9.5 Yikes. Lots of mods. I'm not that good with a soldering iron. That's really something.

Well, thanks for all. I thought I was doing ok until last night when the DVD burner froze the system halfway though burning. Twice. That was with the 1007 Uber bios which does give a 2.9 option on the DDR voltage but I don't know if I want to go with that. I'm going back to plain old 1007 with the same settings and see if the DVD freezes. Good old Bios Savior - flip a switch and back you go.

jamshan24

Registered
FSB: 205
Multiplier:11
Vcore voltage:1.75
Diode temp:37c
DDR voltage:2.7
Memory 4 settings:6-2-2-2
Memory brand, size, which slots:(2)MushkinL2, 256mb, 1&3
Any Mods:No
PSU: 350 Smartpower

OP
D

dgk

Ok. Time to up the cpu voltage. And go back to the asus 1007 bios. I want this stable! Plus Raid drives are likely to be purchased tomorrow and the system should be approaching its final configuration. Oh, going to be a busy weekend.

Raillex

Registered
FSB: 217 (Prime95 and Memtest86 stable)
Vcore voltage: 1.725 Bios (1.79 actual)
Diode temp: 26C idle/46C load (Vantec Aeroflow & Shin Etsu)
DDR voltage: 2.9 (Uber 1007 Bios)
Memory 4 settings: 11-3-2-2 DC and CPU Interface = Aggressive
Memory: 2X512MB OCZ PC3500 Platinum Ltd. Ed. in slots 2+3
Mods: No
PSU: Enermax EG465P (460 Watt)

OP
D

dgk

217. 217! No mods and stable. Best I've seen for this board. Your vcore isn't very high, sort of the middle. 2.9 is up there for DDR. I backed off the Uber for a bit but maybe I'll go back. Is there a way with Motherboard Monitor to get the actual voltage for the memory?

I don't know if the OCZ memory is still available but it's worth a check.

I'm starting to wonder if my Enlight PSU is the problem for me. It just won't get stable at 200 no matter what I do. Not at CAS2 anyway. And I'm just running in single channel. Arrggh.

ZX12Rguy

Registered
DGK, I have the *same* problem. Standard A7N8X board with 2500+, old style, and I cannot seem to get stable at 200FSB.

It'll boot and web-surf, stuff like that, but I can't play games that way. It either reboots, or crashes the game.

I've loosened up my timing to the 11,3,2,2 and am re-trying.

I've been running Prime for a day now at 1.8V.

Diode temp is at 68 solid! Yikes.

ThePCGuy

I apologize DGK for not getting back to you sooner, haven't checked the thread in awhile. Either way I'll go ahead and answer some of those questions you had:

Slots A1 and B1 are the Dual channel slots on the A7N8X-E Deluxe. I'm running generic Corsair memory at default timings. The CPU I have is a locked Barton 2500+, therefore I can only overclock the FSB to overclock the cpu. The Powersupply I have is actually made by Turbolink. Its just a generic power supply that came in a case I purchased. Specs are as follows;

3.3V Rail - 20A
5V Rail - 35A
12V Rail - 17A

As you can see, its not a high power power supply at all. Also, the E in the model name A7N8X-E means that is has a Gigabit network card built-in, and it has a header for a wireless antennae. Overall, people say its exactly like the Standard A7N8X Deluxe. Yes I am running the default core and memory voltages. Thats how I've always overclocked, I try to keep the voltages down to stock and see what I can get out of the device. Either way, thats where I'm at now. Good luck!

- ThePCGuy

Raillex

Registered
I found in my testing that upping the DDR voltage was critical to getting this RAM to perform well. You cannot access the 2.9 setting, however, without using one of the UBER bioses. Try it with yours and see what happens.

The other advantage I might have over your setup is that my PSU overvolts the 3.3 line to 3.49 volts out of the box. Assuming this 5% overvolt translates into 5% higher actual DDR voltage, my 2.9 bios setting might be supplying more like 3.0 actual volts.

OCZ rates this RAM at 3.0 volts max, so I'm fairly confident I'm not going to fry it at these settings. I think Mushkin only rates their Level II's to 2.75 volts max, so upping the DDR voltage beyond that figure might not result in any extra performance.

OP
D

dgk

I read somewhere else that Mushkin soaks up voltage like a sponge. I'm not worried about 2.8 but I'm concerned about 2.9. But let's see if that helps before I try. Another thread - no, I think a newsgroup - suggested that 1006 is a better bios than 1007 for the 2500. Who knows but what can I lose? I have bios savior installed so boot the mb and install 1006 in the savior and boot off that. Hey, I'll try anything. Getting desperate.

Right now, Prime95 is hopefully still running. It went 6 hours once before hitting an error. I'll see when I get home.

Well, maybe I just have a board/cpu that isn't a good overclocker. There are worse fates. The thing is really fast at 190. But there are still more things to try:

1) PSU - I searched the Case/PSU forum for Enlight. Not the best by far but also not likely a negative factor. My MB readings show 3, 5, 12 all pretty solid even under Prime95.

2) Northbridge cooling - I never even felt it to see if it is hot. I didn't think it would be a factor since there is good airflow through the case but I'll venture to place a paw on it when I get home.

3) Memory timings - I'm trying to run at 2-2-2-6 (or 11 as per Hoot). Maybe I can loosen that a bit. 2-3-2-6 was suggested somewhere else. 2.5-2-3. 2.5-3-2. You know, there are an awful lot of combinations here.

4) Memory itself - Maybe try something other than Mushkin. OCZ?
Kingston HyperX? Corsair?

5) More voltage - I'm at 2.7 now and can certainly go up to 2.8. But I tried that before and wasn't really more successful.

6) More voltage - I'm at 1.725 and could go up but again, I've done that before. I started over at the bottom and am working my way up as things fail.

7) Drop multiplier and see.

I'll settle for less than 200 but it does have to be stable.

lugee

2200mhz Barton 2500
Vcore voltage: 1.675
Diode temp: 52 degrees c, 126 degrees F
DDR voltage: 2.8
Memory 4 settings: 2,3,3,6
Memory brand, size, which slots: Corsair Twinx512 (Dual channel) Low Latency CL2
Any Mods: 4x Tt Case Fan2's, hardcano 9, SK7 w/ Tornado 80mm. Removed 92mm Tornados for noise reasons.
PSU: ibest 600watt gold.
Anything important to OC that I forgot: Use Memtest and Prime95. If you want, try 3dmark. These programs will help to determine whether your pc is stable. also check for which bios versions are best with your set up.

Last edited:

wpmegee

FSB: 210
Multiplier: 10.5
Vcore voltage: 1.75
Diode temp: 49-51c load
DDR voltage: 2.8v
Memory 4 settings: 2-3-3-6
Memory brand, size, which slots: Kingston HyperX PC3000 1024mb slots 2 & 3
Any Mods: Nope
PSU: Thermaltake Silent Purepower 480w Xaser Edition

My barton blows chunks-it's an AQXEA 0323- can't get to 11*210 even with 1.825v. Haven't tried 1.85v, but I don't think it'll matter. I'm also kinda disappointed with my ram, was expecting more. Can't get to 215 even at 2-3-3-11.

Anyone tried vdd modding and gotten a higher fsb? There's a pencil mod somewhere over at nforcershq.com forums (No sk1llz with a soldering iron here :rolleyes: )

OP
D

dgk

wpmegee said:
My barton blows chunks-it's an AQXEA 0323- can't get to 11*210 even with 1.825v. Haven't tried 1.85v, but I don't think it'll matter. I'm also kinda disappointed with my ram, was expecting more. Can't get to 215 even at 2-3-3-11.

Anyone tried vdd modding and gotten a higher fsb? There's a pencil mod somewhere over at nforcershq.com forums (No sk1llz with a soldering iron here :rolleyes: )

You're very close to my specs. I dropped my voltage to 1.775, Mult to 10, and FSB up to 215. I could probably do 220 at 1.8 but don't really want to push it that much. I don't think I'll do the northbridge mod; my skills with a soldering iron are also non-existent.

I'm happy with this. I'm not pushing it to the edge and there is some wiggle room for when summer comes and the ambient temp jumps 10C. It's P95 and Mem86 stable. I tried downloading 3dmark and it ended, apparently successfully, at 100mb or so. And won't run at all. Maybe it truncated. I'll try again.

So vcore hovers around 1.82, diode goes up to 46C or so under load. All-in-all, not too bad.

Now I have to use the link from here to go to Newegg and get some SATA drives.