• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Socket 775/X48 chipset (ASUS Rampage Extreme) high NB temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PolRoger

An odd northbridge temp issue has appeared with my motherboard and I'm not sure how to resolve it?

The NB temps on the board used to run in the mid 40's and sometimes up into the 50's (C.) but recently I noticed temps in the mid/upper 70's and I haven't been able to bring it back down??

I took off the stock REX heatpipe/heatsink cooling assembly and re-applied fresh TIM and remounted double checking for a proper mount but this didn't really improve anything.

I took the battery out overnight to clear CMOS and rebooted today with the BIOS set all on auto/defaults. I also currently have an old active copper based Swiftech chipset cooler (MCX159) directly on top of the X48 chipset and the board is still showing mid to upper 70's.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

Previous temps X48 chipset with stock heatpipe/heatsink assembly:
Old NB temps.PNG

Current stock auto/default setup (Q9650/DDR3-1333C9) with Temps/Volts:
P1040182.JPG P1040183.JPG P1040184.JPG

I don't know a lot about the old intels Rog but could it have something to do with the difference between a dual core and a quad? The MCH has to "work" harder adressing twice the cores.

I had an E8600 in yesterday and the temps were/are ~ the same... Its like something has happened and now the X48 chip is running hot. :shrug: I guess the sensor is inside the chip?

Same ram as before too? If all else is the same then :shrug:

You didn't change bios or anything else either? Maybe an updated AIDA64

Was the MB flat on the static pad when the temps were better?
Quads would kick it up a few C but not that much, might use a can compressed air and see if you can a handle on the location of the sensor.

Same ram as before too? If all else is the same then :shrug:

You didn't change bios or anything else either? Maybe an updated AIDA64

There are two BIOS chips on the board...No recent changes/updates and both BIOS seem to report similar higher temps.

I often switch out my ram kits... But when doing so now it hasn't or doesn't appear to affect the current higher temps?

AIDA gets updated fairly often but I believe it reads off the same motherboard BIOS sensor as shown above.

Here are two more screens from last September... One is running ~600fsb DDR3-1800C7 with ~1.535v NB both screen shots are showing temps ~mid 40's. Now I can boot into BIOS at stock cpu speed with 333fsb DDR3-1333C9 and 1.25v NB and temps are still mid 70's. :shrug:

E8600 600fsb 1800C7:
Old NB temps 3.PNG

Q9550 453Fsb 1800C7:
Old NB temps 2.PNG

Was the MB flat on the static pad when the temps were better?
Quads would kick it up a few C but not that much, might use a can compressed air and see if you can a handle on the location of the sensor.

I believe the setup has been in that exact same location since I got the board last summer... However I'm also now thinking about installing the board on my Dimastech bench using 1" tall motherboard screw stands.

I have examined the board around the NB and I've also tried using compressed air... but I haven't located the NB sensor.

Back