• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Socket thermistor questions/problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SkiFletch

sup guys. I've been running a watercooled box now for a few months and have had great totally fanless temps of around 48c average (ambient depending). however yesterday I was happily gaming along, and my motherboard monitor starts freaking out on me saying my temperature is over 200c :eek: so I shut mobo monitor off cause, if those WERE my temps, I think I would have smelled it :beer: I double checked in the bios cpu health section and it too reads numerous values above 200c. so, methinks my in-socket thermistor is BAD.

the question therefore is, is there anyway I can get a proggie like mobo monitor to read a digi doc 5 probe and alarm on that probe? I've been planning on getting a digidoc 5 for a while now, and this just gives me more impotice to do so. but I still want to be able to get alarms and if at all possible auto system shut down if the temp gets over a certain setpoint. is this at all possible without the in-socket system. the mobo btw is Abit N7V-133R and the chip is a TBird 1.0 running at 1.64

cack01

If the thermistor itself has gone bad, and you have some l33t sodering skills, you can go by a radio shack and pick one up for about 30 cents, then just replace it on the board.

I don't use MBM5, but if I remember corectly, it lets you adjust your temp reading up and down to be more acurate, incase the thermistor is giving a bad readout. So I guess you could use a probe, get the real temp, then adjust MBM5 to give you the right readout.

Also I know you already said 200C, but are you sure its C and not F. I'm just trying to go for a long shot here.

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
I'd go with replacing the thermistor :)

One of my standard tricks is to adjust my thermistors for better cpu contact: quite a few of them do NOT touch the back of the core from the factory.....30 seconds of soldering fixes that;)

I tested one board before and after and got a 2c increase in temp. Pretty sure that is better, although still not as good as on-die.

The socket thermistor is probably the EASIEST soldering I've done on a mobo, although I haven't replaced one- my only worry would be getting the correct part since I know next to nothing about the nitty gritty of electronics :rolleyes: